Re-using a bottom bracket?

JakeJ
JakeJ Posts: 151
edited October 2017 in Road general
Hi all,

Bit of a noob question I think, but here goes..

So I've got an old Cervelo Soloist, I love it, but it seemed to develop some small web like cracks just by the head tube, so I searched everyday for another one, but just the frame, with the idea of building up a best bike for next season.

After a couple of weeks of eBay trawling, I found one, in 9/10 condition and in my ideal size..

Enough dribble, basically I'm looking at bottom brackets and seeing that good ones are expensive, I know a fair amount about components, but when it comes to BB's I'm pretty much clueless.

My question is, can I use the old BB from the original soloist and put it on the new one..

The only information I have on the original BB is that I've been told that it's a ceramic one and quite good, hence me wanting to keep it and save a little bit on cost.

Thanks
Jake.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming the BB standard for the frame hasn't changed, yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    as long as you can get the BB out without damaging it there is no reason why it cant be used again .. I have done this with threaded BBs with no issues what so ever
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    awesome, cheers guys, one less thing to worry about.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I've recently re-used one from an old bike to a new one with no issues. Wouldn't be overly concerned about saving one just because it's ceramic though. Had one in my S-works and good tell naff all difference and it was shot after 2000 miles and a couple of wet rides. Never worth the extra.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes re the b/b.

Re the frame - this was a design fault on Soloists - mine has recently cracked as well so the frame is now hanging up on the wall looking lovely but forlorn. They can be welded but this turns it into the weakest spot so will go again in the future, but may be worth doing and using the bike as a winter/turbo bike.

Make sure you use the little shim for the seat post on the new frame or the new one will go again - if yours is damaged you can get them for £19 from a German website.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • For the cost and maintenance, just buy new bearings
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    If they are standard bearings then just buy new brand name generic ones sourced on the internet.
    Look at the model number on the old ones and Google. You may be pleasantly surprised. I was.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.