28mm continental 4000s ii real world width

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Got 25mm on my best bike at the moment and they come up at 27mm. How much wider would 28mm be (when fitted given that 25 size up to 27!). Bike is a trek domane 5.2, got a 4mm Allen key to just fit between the brake calliper and tyre on the back. Loads of space at the front though.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    johngti wrote:
    Got 25mm on my best bike at the moment and they come up at 27mm. How much wider would 28mm be (when fitted given that 25 size up to 27!). Bike is a trek domane 5.2, got a 4mm Allen key to just fit between the brake calliper and tyre on the back. Loads of space at the front though.

I have the same frame. How you can design a frame with loads of tyre clearance at the front and lots less at the rear is beyond me. I use 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC which actually measure up more like 29 on a 25mm rim. I do not think you could go bigger.
  • johngti
    lesfirth wrote:
    johngti wrote:

I have the same frame. How you can design a frame with loads of tyre clearance at the front and lots less at the rear is beyond me. I use 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC which actually measure up more like 29 on a 25mm rim. I do not think you could go bigger.

It did strike me as being a bit strange!
  • I have a 2013 domane 4.5 with 28mm continental's and they fit, but with only about 2-3mm clearance at the back. They probably measure close to 30mm on the bontager race wheels that came with the bike.

I really like them though and think they're significantly more comfortable than the 25mm schwalbe duranos I had on before.
  • johngti
    dunk_01 wrote:
    I have a 2013 domane 4.5 with 28mm continental's and they fit, but with only about 2-3mm clearance at the back. They probably measure close to 30mm on the bontager race wheels that came with the bike.

I really like them though and think they're significantly more comfortable than the 25mm schwalbe duranos I had on before.

Good to know, thanks. I’m massively impressed with the whole setup to be honest but I know it could be even more plush. The back end isn’t really an issue at all with the isospeed things going on and the fork design certainly makes a difference to comfort. My other option would be to fit a shockstop stem to it. Got one on my winter bike and it’s great.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    28mm contis came at dead on 30 for me, trek domane disc and vision metron wheele. Loads of clearance on the disc domanes.

Why don’t you run a wider tyre on the front? Back in the day before wide tyres were a thing I’d ride 25 on front and 23 on back because of clearance and I always found it better to take the harshness off the front.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    28mm contis came at dead on 30 for me, trek domane disc and vision metron wheels. Loads of clearance on the disc domanes.

Why don’t you run a wider tyre on the front? Back in the day before wide tyres were a thing I’d ride 25 on front and 23 on back because of clearance and I always found it better to take the harshness off the front.