cycling spots at Lake Como?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited November 2017 in Tour & expedition
Booking holiday at Lake Como soon. Starting a Varenna but need to find somewhere else for another 3 nights. Be nice to find a place which offers some good road cycling routes, perhaps around the mountains? Any suggestions?

Comments

• harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Not long back from there, and I can confirm it's ridiculously beautiful.

We stayed in Como, and it was fairly lively there with a few good bars and restaurants. Ride wise, our rides took us through Menaggio and Bellagio, both are good start points for climbs into the mountains. There's a regular (about every 30/40 mins) ferry from near Menaggio to Bellagio.

Highlights were the climb to the cable car station at Pigra from Argegno, and the climb up the Ghisallo to the chapel and museum.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Bellagio is the place to be, in every sense, cycling and not
    left the forum March 2023
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thanks for the ideas. Looking at some in Bellagio but have booked a nice place in Tremezzina as a backup too. Were there many places offering 'decent' road bike rental?
  • http://www.bicisport2000.com/

Hired a Bianchi for my fortnight there last year. Great service, friendly.
  • Passo Agueglio comes straight out of Varenna - brilliant climb (17.3km @ c.5%)

If you can get yourself to Morbegno, the Passo San Marco (26km @ c.7%) is as good a climb as you'll ride anywhere. Mercifully free of motorbikes (and cars) when I rode it, there's a great cycle path that'll get you pretty close to the base from the top end of the lake.

Other than that, the usual highlights from the Bellagio area; Colma da Asso, with a diversion up the Muro Di Sormano, then down and back up the Colma da Nesso.

Such a great place to ride, flies under the radar compared to much of Italy.
  • MennoG
    MennoG Posts: 1

If you can get yourself to Morbegno, the Passo San Marco (26km @ c.7%) is as good a climb as you'll ride anywhere. Mercifully free of motorbikes (and cars) when I rode it, there's a great cycle path that'll get you pretty close to the base from the top end of the lake.

Seems like a great climb but too big for a loop, same way back?
  • Depends how big a ride you want really, there are plenty of hills to be had fairly local as the lakes surrounded by "hills" but in the local area don't expect Alps terrain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/689310310
    Advocate of disc brakes.