Etape du Tour 2018

Hoping to do a trip with few mates to do the 2018 Etape. From what I can find route will be announced sometime in October once the tour route is announced.

Rumoured date is the 8th of July.

To keep costs down we were going to arrange trip and entry ourselves.

Be grateful for any advice of those who've done the same themselves and in general about the event.

Thanks.

Comments

• I did it this year and organised it myself - the route this year was good from the point of view that the finish was close to the start so easy enough to get back to your transport. I drove out and back which meant I could take everything I needed and be more flexible. If you have the opportunity to head out a few days before it's nice to do some other rides in the area as a warm-up (I preferred this bit to the actual event)

Make sure when you enter to put in a competitive target completion time otherwise you'll get a late start time and spend the whole time trying to stay ahead of the broom wagon.

Event itself is very well organised as you'd expect but don't expect too much from the feed zones - by the time I went through the second one it looked like a war zone and there was not much left.

Pray for good weather. Enjoy the views. Drink lots.
  • Thanks for that. Yes can see the challenge of start and finish are distant to each other.

Plan is to drive out.

Looks like TdF route announced 17th October so guess that's when we will see the route.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Rumour has it will be Annecy to le Grand-Bornand on Sunday 15th July. 150km and finishing with the Romme/Colombiere double header before a fast descent to Grand-Bo (this would climb the opposite side of the Colombiere to that which was used on the 2016 Etape).

Good for logistics as the two towns are only about half an hour drive apart (assuming the race route loops around to the north) and there is tons of accommodation to suit all budgets available in the area. It's also within very easy reach of Geneva Airport.

All will be revealed on October 17th.
  • Great thanks for that.

Family in Morzine so have been lucky to do fair bit of riding in the area and has the potential to be a great day out.
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    http://road.cc/content/news/230532-grav ... pe-du-tour

May contain gravel! Interesting.

Anyone with any knowledge know wether its best to aim for accommodation at start or finish if self organising?

Have an option to stay just over an hours drive away at friends place which may mean avoiding the carnage until the day of event and getting dropped in/picked up after.

All experiences/opinions appreciated.
  • As cc78 said - it's going to be stage 10. Gravel aside, that's a fair few tough climbs on the day.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    In the presentation they said the second climb was 6 kms at 11%.

Iron Duke - start or finish depends on whether you like getting up very, very early, eating and then getting to the start, or getting up a little later to get to the start!
  • cc78
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/news/230532-gravel-roads-2018-tour-de-france-and-letape-du-tour

May contain gravel! Interesting.

Anyone with any knowledge know wether its best to aim for accommodation at start or finish if self organising?

Have an option to stay just over an hours drive away at friends place which may mean avoiding the carnage until the day of event and getting dropped in/picked up after.

All experiences/opinions appreciated.

It would depend where you are staying, as you also have to take road closures into consideration. I guess ideally you want to leave a car as close to the finish as possible, and then get someone to drop you off at the start?

It will be easier to get to the start in Annecy avoiding closed roads and/or traffic than it will be to get out of Grand-Bornand after the finish.

Bear in mind is pretty much downhill or flat all the way from Grand-Bornand back to Annecy, maybe 25-30km in total, so you could conceivably ride back to the start.

Or you could leave a car halfway in between the two, ride to the start and then ride back to the car afterwards - again you'd need to be aware of road closures as the last thing you want is to miss the start!

I live locally, so by all means PM for more information, happy to help out.
  • cc78
    One comment I would make about the Glieres climb: as mentioned above this is 6km at 11% with some hairpins above 15%. It's basically a single track road for most of the way up, so getting 10,000 riders of varying degrees of ability up there will be interesting to say the least. It's pretty early on in the stage but I imagine there will be people walking up at least some of it. And then the "gravel" section (AKA farm track) runs across the plateau at the top, but this is pretty flat for the most part. Just hope it's not raining...
  • iron_duke
    cc78 & dorsetboy thanks both

One of our group seems to have made an executive decision and booked chalet in GB for Thursday-Monday as soon as route announced. Think this is mainly on basis he wants to crack into the beers as soon as he finishes!

We will be in a couple of cars and may have the option of a van which we could load bikes into.

The drive part way between on the morning of and cycle into Annecy sounds sensible.

Route looks good but agree trying to get that many up will mean the first few climbs may be more than a little crowded!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Never been round there, anyone know the climbs can comment on how tough this one looks? Looks longer and a bit tougher than usual?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cc78
    edited October 2017
    Never been round there, anyone know the climbs can comment on how tough this one looks? Looks longer and a bit tougher than usual?

The 4 climbs are maybe shorter than the "classic" Alpine climbs but they are also steeper...

Croix-Fry - 11km at 7%, the easiest of the 4 but will still be Cat1 when the Tour goes over it, it's a lovely climb, really scenic
    Glieres - 6km at 11%, as above this will cause all sorts of mayhem
    Romme - 9km at 9%, a leg-breaker with pretty much constant gradient all the way up
    Colombiere - 7km at almost 9% (the easier bottom section of Colombiere runs parallel to Romme so is being missed out), one of these climbs that lulls you in then the last 3km are all over 10%

Bear in mind that it's all relatively low as well - the highest point is only 1600m - there is potential for 30º plus temperatures all the way round.

It's a hard day on the bike.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402

Given that the finish is in the Le Grand Bornard its effectively 20km shorter than this year's event.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • tdh37
    tdh37 Posts: 8
    Can't make this time, but if anyone is interested I have a code for early registration: MISSTHERUSH
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    managed an early registration for this.. looks interesting! did the romme and the colombiere when i was out in france in april... first 2 climbs look fairly brutal but i reckon after doing them then getting onto the romme is where it'll start to hurt. :shock:
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    managed to sign up this morning, was expecting to go into the ballot but it's been confirmed already.

Only issue now is I'm busy Friday so can't travel until Saturday.. not sure if the logistics will work out for this as you need to sign on in advance.. can that be done on the morning of the event ?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    No you can't sign in on the morning of the event, it has to be done the day before.
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    I've done my annual analysis of the Etape and think it looks a pretty tough one. I'm about 97% certain on the route but can't account for ASO changes due to traffic/lobbying from locals who don't want their roads blocked on a Sunday morning...

http://www.sportive.com/cycling-trainin ... nd-bornand
  • iron_duke
    Eight of us in so hoping it should be a good day out.

After a few rough years hoping this helps in my drive towards a more consistent approach to bike/fitness!
  • iron_duke
    JSS wrote:
    I've done my annual analysis of the Etape and think it looks a pretty tough one. I'm about 97% certain on the route but can't account for ASO changes due to traffic/lobbying from locals who don't want their roads blocked on a Sunday morning...

Thanks
  • I'm in :-) Rode last year and loved it (other than the blazing heat climbing Izoard).

Been looking at logistics, and think I have the route planned out but am struggling to workout how to get back to Anncey from the finish? I don't mind riding but think we'll have to cross the closed road route at maybe Saint-Jean-de-Sixt and down the D909? Anyone with local knowledge have an idea how this could work? a tunnel somewhere perhaps?
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    JSS wrote:

Not quite sure how you get to 4,700m of climbing? My rough estimate is somewhere between 3500m and 4000m.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • JSS wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-U81oLhOs

A few tweaks I think, the aso video has you going to the west of the lake and all the way round the bottom to Talloires and in to Thones from the west.

It's hard to tell but I think the route goes closer to La Roche-sur-Foron and on the D1203 for a bit to Bonneville.

I don't think it changes your analysis as most of the differences are on the flat and like you say there may be some last minute updates based on local influence.

Here's a look at my attempt at the route ->
    https://www.strava.com/routes/10992148
    168km and 4500m (but garmin had closer to 4000)

Andy
  • iron_duke
    I'm in :-) Rode last year and loved it (other than the blazing heat climbing Izoard).

Been looking at logistics, and think I have the route planned out but am struggling to workout how to get back to Anncey from the finish? I don't mind riding but think we'll have to cross the closed road route at maybe Saint-Jean-de-Sixt and down the D909? Anyone with local knowledge have an idea how this could work? a tunnel somewhere perhaps?

Sit down have a beer and take the organised transport back? Takes bikes also. No experience of wether this is a good option or not.

Think we are going to put cars half way between GB and Annecy and reward for being first ones home it to get to do the pick up run :lol:
  • Did look at the transport back, I only glanced at it but it looked like they wanted you to book on a specific bus at a specific time... I wasn't keen on pinning myself down that much.....

I guess it could feasible that the road crossing may be open by the time people start finishing. The place looks to be 60 ish KM in to the ride so that might just work.

Anyone interested in the gravel on Plateau des Gileres -> https://youtu.be/9tjDWiHATIA

Seems to be a few you tube vids on the route appearing now too. Gives me something to watch whilst on the turbo.....
  • iron_duke
    Must admit that hadn't looked at the ASO transport in detail but asking people to book a specific time makes it a little harder. Depending on how confident you are could do a conservative timing and pick somewhere to rehydrate after finishing to relax and then not have to rush into bus back.
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    If you're staying in Annecy, it's pretty much all downhill from the finish.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Never done it but watched roadside. If the state of some riders is a clue, it's tough. Would also recommend going over the route beforehand as there can be pinch points through which you don't want to be in dense traffic unless you like conflict!

Roadside spectators can be very supportive in practical ways as many I saw were also cyclists and had tools etc.
  • So the Etape (169km and 4000m climbing, 15000 participants) is on 8 July - the same day as the Marmotte (174km 5180m+ climbing, 7500 participants).

I really hope it doesn't rain otherwise that 1.5km of gravel will be impassable when the tour riders attempt it.
  • green_mark wrote:
    So the Etape (169km and 4000m climbing, 15000 participants) is on 8 July - the same day as the Marmotte (174km 5180m+ climbing, 7500 participants).

I really hope it doesn't rain otherwise that 1.5km of gravel will be impassable when the tour riders attempt it.

The UK airports already struggle with the number of bikes going to the Etape, running the Marmotte at the same time might just make it more chaotic!