my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Today is a Cheshire office, so a slightly slower start

Later is the rollers
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, nice and mild today no wind either, I got up this morning to find water all over the toilet floor, I’ve found the problem so part of today will be taken up with some plumbing.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Dark again. WFH until 11 then I'm out to look at some trees, or lack of trees and lots of mud. I say WFH but really I'm fiddling with some new crampons and making holes in the floor.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, backache today, office hipsters put up a photo of his child, I'm now questioning who the paternal father is on account of the skin tone.
    Anyway dog has arrived shaking fluff as per now to hunt pain killers coffee an find my lactase tablets.
    Laters
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    morning folks,
    Household plumbing or people plumbing LD? I think if it's a person's plumbing it's best left to an expert.
    Bit weary after a not particularly good night's kip, then I was sound when the alarm went off. Coffee will be my friend today. Had to drive in again as off to the hospital again after work. The consultant is going to talk to my mum this morning, my sister has gone too as an extra pair of ears. Hoping to hear from them soon, not sure what they'll have to say so fingers crossed. Hope all is well with your old dear Stevo. Are you going to be able to move her any closer?
    In better news I had an apple Danish with my second cup of tea just now. The coffee machine is warming nicely and I'm going to be avoiding customers for all I'm worth. Supposed to be going for drinks with neighbours later, I think I fancy a beer.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Dark this morning, mud all over the roads, windy, then it started raining. Meh.

Puncture this morning - 2 inch nail through the tyre. Still I got to admire the huge traffic jam (and plenty of cars RLJing) which seems to be the result of me complaining about a pothole in the road. Except nobody was fixing it, they'd just put some barriers around it.

Anyway back to being nagged for stuff I haven't done because other people have been d*cking about.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    baggy camo shorts, fluorescent yellow jacket and bright yellow pannier on a hybrid ...... sometimes I love doing the commuter thing
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Taken a few days off to go property hunting. Looks like we’ve missed out on one really nice place, another couple were quite meh, and one we like a lot.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had to drive in again as off to the hospital again after work. The consultant is going to talk to my mum this morning, my sister has gone too as an extra pair of ears. Hoping to hear from them soon, not sure what they'll have to say so fingers crossed. Hope all is well with your old dear Stevo. Are you going to be able to move her any closer?
    Thanks V, she was sleeping when I called this morning so will ring back. Seems like they think she is OK to speak to me when she's awake so sounds good, I just need to ask the nurse about how she is medically.

As for the moving her closer, I've given up on that one. The home where she stays is small and very friendly which suits her fine. She needs to talk to people regularly even if it is mostly talking bollox. Just don' think I can get somewhere like that in decent striking distance from based on what I've seen. And what few friends she has left would never be able to drop in to see her. The other point is financial - if I sell the house up there, her half goes straight to the council as care fees; if I keep it, they only look at her savings. So if I sell up I flush a load of inheritance down the bog; if I move her down and don't sell, I end up with a property 270 miles away that I don't want or need but still need to visit and maintain. At least where she is I have a base for when I'm visiting. Might sound a bit selfish but as she's in good hands where she is, I can't see how it's a good idea to move her down.

In other news, I pedalled in and am now stuffing my fizzog to make up the calorie deficit. It's getting gloomy in the mornings, so at least the clock going back will fix that for a few weeks. Roll on Thursday's gravity trip (with fingers crossed).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Taken a few days off to go property hunting. Looks like we’ve missed out on one really nice place, another couple were quite meh, and one we like a lot.
    WS, what happened to the Tasmanian estate?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As for the moving her closer, I've given up on that one.
    Makes sense, a move like that would probably cause her a fair amount of stress and confusion as well.
    Was going to write about the saga of moving my gran down and the misery it caused my parents in the end. But even thinking about it has wound me up.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Coffee quaffed, soup supped, bread broken. Five guys burger at the O2 for pre-Metallica dinner, then back to the in-laws as it's much closer to the O2 before a day off with Mini H3 tomorrow. Not sure what we will do, but looking forward to it.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Plumbing now done, no leaks , and I’m in good books for a change :)
    V68 it is very easy nowadays no soldering, push fittings
  • veronese68
    Push fit is easy, before that I'd use compression fittings. But that's household plumbing, not messing with a person's waterworks. I'd still leave that to a professional.
    Well done on the brownie points, always useful.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Me filthy me*. Must go shower.

*But you knew that anyway.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Me do compression and Yorkshire me. I did Yorkshire fittings on the back of the wet back wood burner because I wanted to make sure there was no leaks where the access requires removal of the wood burner. There is also a heat concern.
    I love doing Yorkshire fitting and I never use push fit; brass compression on shielded Hepworth.
    Push fit are a one shot saloon - if you get it wrong, the clasp system is gone so you should bin it and get for another whereas, brass fittings, remove the not, trim the pipe, re-use the metal insert, use some paste and use a new olive.
    Pound for pound, brass compression works better, more reliable and as cheap. None of my builder mate's use push fit.
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning, backache today, office hipsters put up a photo of his child, I'm now questioning who the paternal father is on account of the skin tone.

Err...Mother is perhaps of a different ethnicity.
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Had another look at it yesterday, and still very much top of our list. We’re finally going to list our house probably end next week, and once it’s sold we’ll have a better idea of budget for the next place. In the meantime we’re still chceking anything else that comes up.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Had another look at it yesterday, and still very much top of our list. We’re finally going to list our house probably end next week, and once it’s sold we’ll have a better idea of budget for the next place. In the meantime we’re still chceking anything else that comes up.
    Sounds like property doesn't move too fast out in the sticks.

Coincidentally my cousin has been taunting me by sending me a pic this morning of her and her OH on a very sunny Manly beach.
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sounds like property doesn't move too fast out in the sticks.

Coincidentally my cousin has been taunting me by sending me a pic this morning of her and her OH on a very sunny Manly beach.
    They sell fairly fast in some areas, wouldnt be surprised if we list ours and its sold in a week, but the benefit for us is that the stuff we’re looking at in Tas doesn’t move that quick. Relatively what we’re after here is higher end of the local market, and we actually want something with some land and a dated house is fine. That limits the selection, but means we’ll look at stuff most buyers don’t want.
  • pinno
    ...but means we’ll look at stuff most buyers don’t want.

More work?! Haven't you had enough of that? Are you downscaling as part of some sort of pension pot plan?
  • Wheelspinner
    Pinno wrote:
    ...but means we’ll look at stuff most buyers don’t want.

More work?! Haven't you had enough of that? Are you downscaling as part of some sort of pension pot plan?
    Something like that... we’re happy to do a decent amount of cosmetic stuff, and just some updating, long as there’s nothing seriously structural to tackle. Garden makeover also fine. We just wont be doing big rebuild jobs again.

Current house is probably worth between 1.4 and 1.6 mill, but we’ll probably buy something for around 700 to 900k if we can find suitable. I may not fully retire, but wont be chasing jobs as hard as I’ve had to in the past. :)