Bike build. Niner Air 9 alloy.

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Finally going to get around to building my Niner Air 9 alloy. My first 29er (Tour Divider!!).

Just ordered the following -

Mavic xa elite 29ers. 6 bolt. I wanted to get a boost front and 142 rear but the 'sets' are both or not. The set comes with ust tyres and valves. If I bought the wheels individually, boost front and 142 rear, then the cost is almost double when you also consider the tyres.

Rockshox Reba RL tapered forks. Ugly all black. Couldn't find any coloured ones. Frame comes with a headset.

Bottom B. Race Face pf30 to Shimano 24 converter. I hope this works. This could be a headache.

Going to use my 9 speed xt/slx gears/crank. As they still have plenty of life. Rear wheel is 11 speed. So I assume it will be okay with the spacers. A longer chain, as mine is for a 26er.

Cockpit, saddle, post and groupset off my Trek Remedy.

If anyone sees any issues or mistakes, except spelling, would be glad for the input.

Comments

• remedy_7
    Forks 120mm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No spacer neede for the cassette unless it still has the whacky Mavic freehub that needs a spacer with everything!

I'd seriously consider building it 1x and not spoiling the lines of the frame (or marking the paint) with a front mech, you could use the wide range Suntour cassette.

Personally I like the stealth black forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • remedy_7
    Good to hear that the cassette will fit. I think Mavic would sell more wheels if they advertised as 9,10,
    & 11 instead of just 11. Or maybe I missed that.
    I have two 26ers with 9 speed, plus plenty of spares. So no need to upgrade to the weeker stuff. Also I ride abroad a lot, so getting an 11 speed component (or a boost wheel), would be harder.

1x, well I know nothing about it. Will look into it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be honest, 10 speed is the sweet spot between price/convenience and function, cheaper than 11 and easier to get hold of but with a wide range cassette (or expander) it makes a good 1x option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • remedy_7
    Evans sent the wrong wheels. Now they are out of stock. So had to re-order elsewhere for an extra £70. Double order now means I am overdrawn. Plus lose another day waiting for another delivery and to return the wrong ones. I efffing hate Evans!

Good news. The lower headset bearing with the niner is exactly the same as for my Remedy and it also has the size written on it. Spent days trying to find one. Now I have the size.

Chain fits, as the old bike is full sus, so same length.
    BB fits. G-clamp method. The Race Face is alu, no plastic sheath. So getting it out will be a bi*ch.