New MTB, Choices & Recommendations

veaseyj
veaseyj Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking to buy my first Full Suspension bike. I've got a trek 3900 Hardtail at the moment, I'll be keeping that but want something new to go with it.

The one's ive found that I like so far are:

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p ... NCE-2-2017

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b72s183 ... Y-500-2016

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s183p ... NCE-4-2017

Can anyone advise which they think would be the best to go for? Or if there's any others that people could suggest around that price point?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Stance just doesn't cut it in the company of the other two, pick between them.

The Merida is a good bike, its a half way between an XC and a trail bike, well sepcified and thats a very very good price.

The Trance is a superb bike, much bigger hitting than the Merida, very well respected. On paper the Merida is almost as well specified (crucially in the Fork which is the most important component) and a fair bit cheaper so better value.

The question then is which suites YOU and your riding, for more aggressive and 'gnarlier' riding the Trance wins hands down, for longer XC riding with the odd trail centre red thrown in the Merida would be the better option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The Stance just doesn't cut it in the company of the other two, pick between them.

The Merida is a good bike, its a half way between an XC and a trail bike, well sepcified and thats a very very good price.

The Trance is a superb bike, much bigger hitting than the Merida, very well respected. On paper the Merida is almost as well specified (crucially in the Fork which is the most important component) and a fair bit cheaper so better value.

The question then is which suites YOU and your riding, for more aggressive and 'gnarlier' riding the Trance wins hands down, for longer XC riding with the odd trail centre red thrown in the Merida would be the better option.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've gone with the ONE TWENTY, I figured the price is a steal compared to everything else that I've seen, and as my first bike it will feel like a bike worth 5 times that in comparison to my hardtail.

Suppose I should start looking for some accessories! Anything you'd recommend I should get first?

I've already got a helmet, and I plan on switching my lights between the two bikes, so its just if I'm missing anything now?

Thanks again
  • veaseyj wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've gone with the ONE TWENTY, I figured the price is a steal compared to everything else that I've seen, and as my first bike it will feel like a bike worth 5 times that in comparison to my hardtail.

Suppose I should start looking for some accessories! Anything you'd recommend I should get first?

I've already got a helmet, and I plan on switching my lights between the two bikes, so its just if I'm missing anything now?

Thanks again

Congrats on the new bike, don't forget to buy some decent pedals (-:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure you have the kit to get you out of trouble, puncture repair (levers, self adhesive patches, spare tube), basic multi-tool, zip ties and a chain quick link.

A mini front mudguard can be helpful, as can an ass-saver on the saddle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.