Crud Catcher road racer mk2s

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi All.

I've just been battling the weather and my crud catchers, last time I used these they fit beautifully on my Cube Peloton with the stock schwalbe lugano tyres. Now with Michelin Lithions (both are 700x25), I am really struggling to get them to fit. the front is OK but only OK without the nose attached, but the rear is a nightmare the wheel hardly turns due to rubbing.

Is it just the tyres? Can they be THAT different?!

I know we're talking tiny tolerances, but they used to work!!

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Hi All.

I've just been battling the weather and my crud catchers, last time I used these they fit beautifully on my Cube Peloton with the stock schwalbe lugano tyres. Now with Michelin Lithions (both are 700x25), I am really struggling to get them to fit. the front is OK but only OK without the nose attached, but the rear is a nightmare the wheel hardly turns due to rubbing.

Is it just the tyres? Can they be THAT different?!

I know we're talking tiny tolerances, but they used to work!!
    Tyres can vary from their nominal dimensions quite considerably. You probably got lucky with the 25mm Luganos as I would expect most 25mm tyres to be problematic with Cruds on bikes with tight clearances.
  • Really? damn!!

Are the new versions any better?
  • In my experience Michelins do come up a bit chubby compared to other brands, maybe half a size up from what's quoted. I actually have Lithion 23s on a bike that's fitted with Crud Mk 2s, like yours. Took a lot of fiddling to get them to fit (including filing away the top part of the front guard that passes under the fork crown) and there's absolutely no way 25s would go.