Hell of the Ashdown 2018

Fixed Wheelnut
Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
The Gates to Hell are opening soon :)

Entries go live midnight October 31st. 1500 places for next years HOTA on Sunday 18th of February

New website here http://www.hellgb.co.uk/

37803597086_641abf5990_c.jpg

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    That's a flashy website for a 100k ride and yet it doesn't tell you the entry fee anywhere that I can see. It's almost like they're trying to hide it!
  • This is local to me. A succession of horrible climbs, have ridden most of them but not all in one ride!
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Another great option the weekend after (with the high demand they could have lots more entrants, charge more or downgrade the food but choose not to):

https://www.gsavanti.co.uk/kentish-killer/
  • Brakeless wrote:
    That's a flashy website for a 100k ride and yet it doesn't tell you the entry fee anywhere that I can see. It's almost like they're trying to hide it!

£32:00 not intentionally hiding it, new platform for the website it will be going up there :)
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    £32 for a 100k route !!!! No wonder it's not prominent.
  • It's a pretty old event and early in the year. They are a cracking bunch who run and the money goes to charity.

I'd imagine it was designed when the norm was a 10kg steed with 50/39 and an 11-23. Having said that if I remember rightly a youngster one year posted the fastest time on a fixie. Which, if you know Hogtrough, is some feat.
  • Did it yesterday, my legs hurt.
    I'd say that it was incredibly well organised, loads of marshals available and also 2 great feed stops with plenty of free grub to feed the famished cyclists.
    Couldn't have asked for better weather as well considering the time of year.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    did yesterday my legs didn't hurt so I should have tried harder. a succession of horrible climbs is right it is also quite perfect.

The only thing I did not like and this goes for all sportive's is the nannying the marshals are required to do. It is sad that health and safety law is being interpreted by those that insure these events that the marshals have to direct us over junctions. If you cant negotiate a junction then don't ride or drive. May it's just me but I feel quite capable of deciding for myself by looking that it safe to go or if I need to give way. It somewhat spoils rides for me and makes them more difficult to put on too as thats alot of marshals.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • did yesterday my legs didn't hurt so I should have tried harder. a succession of horrible climbs is right it is also quite perfect.

The only thing I did not like and this goes for all sportive's is the nannying the marshals are required to do. It is sad that health and safety law is being interpreted by those that insure these events that the marshals have to direct us over junctions. If you cant negotiate a junction then don't ride or drive. May it's just me but I feel quite capable of deciding for myself by looking that it safe to go or if I need to give way. It somewhat spoils rides for me and makes them more difficult to put on too as thats alot of marshals.

If you take away the marshals, how do you justify paying 6 times the entry fee of an otherwise equivalent audax ride?

Also, my feeling is that in the absence of marshals, there would be casualties in events like the Fred Whitton... 2 thousand hot heads on the road and 25% descents don't mix well
    left the forum March 2023
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    The marshals were great. It's always good to have someone shouting if a blind junction is clear or not.
    The two fords were interesting as were the muddy lanes. It's amazing how dirty a bike with mudguards can get on a dry day!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    While the marshells did there job well, I am stopping at blind junctions anyway and did not rely on there direction that the coast is clear. If you cant do that you should not be on the road on or in any vehicle as you are guilty of the worst bad roadcraft sin there is. That is the highway code. The fact marshells have to put in place to reduce the risk of accidents says it all about these event. I love riding, and I love riding in new places but if we cant take responisibility for ourselves and those around us then there is a big problem not solved by marshells.

That said rolling down wormingford hill today with a string of cyclists climbing on the other side I was a bit surprised to find a car overtaking on a bend as I came round. We missed each other thankfully but the care that needs to be shown goes both ways. The simple fact is road craft is a skill and it is not taught and it seems not learnt either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    did yesterday my legs didn't hurt so I should have tried harder. a succession of horrible climbs is right it is also quite perfect.

If you take away the marshals, how do you justify paying 6 times the entry fee of an otherwise equivalent audax ride?

Also, my feeling is that in the absence of marshals, there would be casualties in events like the Fred Whitton... 2 thousand hot heads on the road and 25% descents don't mix well

All you do is bang on about Audax’s and the Fred Whitton, change the tune man :lol: