Has anyone tried the AM XR 520 eBay special

j_l
j_l Posts: 425
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
I don’t ride Mountain bikes much these days but want to replace my old had it Meta 4 frame with a steel hard tail for minimal spend, saw this on eBay?

Anyone got any experience of them, they certainly look ok and the measurements stack up for a replacement 26” wheeled bike.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2864308587

Thanks in advance :-)
I'm not old I'm Retro

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't, won't take tapered fork for starters which is getting to be a major bind.

Why not just get an on-one?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • j_l
    My existing fork has a straight steerer and I only want a frame, all the other components are in good order, most of my riding is done on the road bike these days so I don’t want to spend any more than I need to get a fun bike that’s low maintenance to replace my Meta 4
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Reynolds steel from China? Good luck with that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • j_l
    cooldad wrote:
    Reynolds steel from China? Good luck with that.

Please explain?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Loads of good 26er frames available on Ebay secondhand for pennies, why take the risk?
  • j_l
    Can anyone recommend anything at a similar price point that likely to be better then, considering its for 26" wheels and 120mm fork?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • The Rookie
    edited October 2017
    Either a used Inbred/456 or get a 4560B and run it with 26" wheels. Inbred for more XC use or a 456 for burlier use.

Steel is easy to paint, so you could get a tatty frame and sprayed your choice of colour quite cheaply.

Why so hung up on steel? Aluminium would seem better suited for road use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ragley-Marley ... SwGbNZ3gWj
    if its your size, if you want to keep your straight steered forks most tapered frames can run 1 1/8 with right headset.
  • j_l
    The Rookie wrote:
    Either a used Inbred/456 or get a 4560B and run it with 26" wheels. Inbred for more XC use or a 456 for burlier use.

Steel is easy to paint, so you could get a tatty frame and sprayed your choice of colour quite cheaply.

Why so hung up on steel?

Didn't know a 650 bike would run on 26" ok with out messing up handling etc..

I want a really low maintenance bike that will be a little more forgiving, I used to have a F800 alu hardtail it had a really harsh ride and figured steel ride would just be a little more easy going.

I ride my Road bike on the road, I just want to keep my Mountain bike for those trail centre and Exmoor trip days when the mood takes.

still open to suggestions however
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • The Rookie
    The geometry stays the same with a smaller tyre, just lowers the BB by 1/2", on the road not at all an issue.

Poor steel frames are harsher than decent Al ones, and steel is always going to be heavier for anything like the same price.

I really would look at AL and you get a lot more choice!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Aluminium frames used to be harsh but good modern ones aren't.
    If that Chinese frame is actually made from Reynolds tubes I'll eat my hat. I've seen some really shonky quality Chinese frames and while you can get an On One frame cheap I see no good reason to risk it.
  • j_l
    :shock: On-one inbred went down to £150.00 today..
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • The Rookie
    The Inbred isn't at all bad, the 456 is tough but pretty harsh by comparison.