Zwift FTP Test Mileage

efc_barm
efc_barm Posts: 20
Hey,

I started cycling earlier this year and so far I'm enjoying it. I've just got myself a turbo trainer to get me through the winter. All good, I've got it setup and today I did an FTP test within Zwift. I plan on choosing one of the workouts like the 12 week FTP builder.

However, one question I have is around the reported miles from the activity. It was a 45 mins workout, warm up, some build up and then the 20 mins FTP test followed by a cool down. My question is around the mileage reported. It was only 6 miles. I know my FTP isn't the greatest at 185 but 6 miles doesn't seem far. It certainly felt like hard work compared to the road! Wondering if the miles isn't accurate because it's a test or if it points to my setup not being right?

Trainer: TACX Vortex
Using a laptop with ant+ and Zwift. Also using a wahoo cadence, speed and hr sensor. I've got the trainer selected as a controllable trainer and I've calibrated the trainer with the Tacx app. I've also got the tyre inflated to 110.
Bike: Cube Attain GTC Pro

Cheers,

Barm.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    It bases it on the route you took. If you did the mountain course and spent an hour going up it, then it's about right. If you want an alternative, have a regular bike computer and it will give you a 'flat' reading.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    185 ftp is better than 6 miles in 45 mins .... but add the warm up in to that at 80w, 100w, 120w etc and the milage drops
  • Thanks for the replies. Still not convinced by some of these numbers. I did a workout today on Zwift that looked better. It was 55 mins and 14 miles which seems more like it.

Another question. Should I leave erg mode ticked when doing a workout? I read you don't need to change gear with erg mode but I found I had to shift up to meet the power targets.