Tyres poping of rims

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi my tyres just popped of the rim after I has a puncture, replaced the inner, pumped tyres, rode 50m, then bang and a knackered a new inner tube.

Replaced the innertube & it happened again a second time.

The tyres have always being very loose on the rims that you could fit them without levers, now looks like they are too loose to be of any use.... :oops:

I think they may of being just being manufactured too large.....

Rims are r501 and tyres are clement LGG 32mm. psi 50

Proabably ridden them over 1000 miles but hardly worn the tread so abit annoying.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    no it is not that the tyre is made too big, it your rim tyre combo. the same tyre may be alot tighter on another rim.

There are also manufacturing tolerances.

the beads on tyres stretch after fitting so a tyre can become too losse to be secure but the problem may also the be tube sitting under the bead a bit.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought this would be an exposé on the rituals of the Vatican.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Using conti cross innertubes.
    the same tyre may be alot tighter on another rim.

May try it on the rear of another wheelset I suppose.

Read that when a tyre pops once of the bead gets stretched as it pops off by the explosion so it may be no good anymore unless i have some really big rims.

Try it on the old size 27" 630mm rims maybe :|
  • recommended tire size for this rim is 19 - 28mm The 32mm is too wide and the pressure too low to keep this tire on the rim.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    recommended tire size for this rim is 19 - 28mm The 32mm is too wide and the pressure too low to keep this tire on the rim.

Not sure this is the problem, I run those rims on a cross-bike with 37mm Schwalbe tyres, anywhere from 60 to 30 psi and have never had any issues. Probably just time for a new tyre.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Moonbiker wrote:
    The tyres have always being very loose on the rims that you could fit them without levers,

I never use tire levers to fit a tire, is this what you mean?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    A couple of possible causes come to mind;

1. When you refitted the tyre, did you ensure the tube was contained completely inside the tyre, i.e. No tube trapped between the bead and the rim?

2. Did you push the valve back in once the tyre was fully fitted, seat the beads on the rim either side and then pull the valve back through to ensure those few inches of tyre bead were seated properly before inflating?

I have seen both these done by supposedly experienced club members by the side of the road which end in exactly the explosion you mention!

PP
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Pilot Pete wrote:

1. When you refitted the tyre, did you ensure the tube was contained completely inside the tyre, i.e. No tube trapped between the bead and the rim?

I had exactly this scenario. Tire punctured, fitted new tube but I'm pretty sure the tube was pinched by the bead (I was in a dark underground garage), pumped tire up to 100lbs and rode about 50 meters before a huge blast blew the tire off the rim. This was right by where the Italian fascists were having a beer festival and of course they thought they were being shot at and were not very happy!
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    davidof wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    This was right by where the Italian fascists were having a beer festival and of course they thought they were being shot at and were not very happy!
    I just choked on my tea...! :lol:

PP