Tour route 2018

Comments

• I think it's outrageous that the Tour haven't produced a route that prevents the strongest GT rider on the strongest team from being the favourite.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Pross wrote:
    October: Cobbles! Yeah!
    After stage 9: *surveys list of destroyed GC ambitions * So unless Froome loses a leg it's 5 Tours. Worst route ever.
    You have strong powers of premonition I see. This will almost certainly happen

Nah, he forgot the bit where the 'experts' go on about how cobbles have no place in a GT as they are dangerous for GC riders (see 2014).

It's a pretty full on cobbled route.

Much more than '14.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    inseine wrote:
    From Cycling News;
    Back in 1972, the peloton peloton lined up for a 28-kilometre stage (21 kilometres of total climbing) from Aix-les-Bains to Le Revard, where Cyrille Guimard out-sprinted Eddy Merckx to take stage honours.

Not sure what was going on on that day, but they had some proper length stages either side of it

7 9 July Bayonne to Pau 220.5 km (137.0 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Yves Hézard (FRA)
    8 10 July Pau to Luchon 163.5 km (101.6 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Eddy Merckx (BEL)
    9 11 July Luchon to Colomiers 179.0 km (111.2 mi) Hilly stage Jos Huysmans (BEL)
    10 12 July Castres to La Grande-Motte 210.0 km (130.5 mi) Plain stage Willy Teirlinck (BEL)
    11 13 July Carnon-Plage to Mont Ventoux 207.0 km (128.6 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Bernard Thévenet (FRA)
    12 14 July Carpentras to Orcières 192.0 km (119.3 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Lucien Van Impe (BEL)
    15 July Orcières Rest day
    13 16 July Orcières to Briançon 201.0 km (124.9 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Eddy Merckx (BEL)
    14a 17 July Briançon to Valloire 51.0 km (31.7 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Eddy Merckx (BEL)
    14b Valloire to Aix-les-Bains 151.0 km (93.8 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Cyrille Guimard (FRA)
    15 18 July Aix-les-Bains to Le Revard 28.0 km (17.4 mi) Stage with mountain(s) Cyrille Guimard (FRA)
    16 19 July Aix-les-Bains to Pontarlier 198.5 km (123.3 mi) Hilly stage Willy Teirlinck (BEL)
    17 20 July Pontarlier to Ballon d’Alsace 213.0 km (132.4 mi) Hilly stage Bernard Thévenet (FRA)
    18 21 July Vesoul to Auxerre 257.5 km (160.0 mi) Plain stage Marinus Wagtmans (NED)
    19 22 July Auxerre to Versailles 230.0 km (142.9 mi) Plain stage Joseph Bruyère (BEL)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Looking back at that 1972 Tour shows the myth of exciting Tours of old. There were only 12 teams with 11 riders each. Three of those teams won 18 of the 25 stages between them and provided 3 or the top 4 on GC and won all classifications. Merckx and Guimard were the only wearers of both the yellow and green jerseys. Only four riders finished within twenty minutes of Merckx (and three of them were Tour winners themselves - so not a low standard).

Imagine watching that live every day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95 wrote:
    Looking back at that 1972 Tour shows the myth of exciting Tours of old. There were only 12 teams with 11 riders each. Three of those teams won 18 of the 25 stages between them and provided 3 or the top 4 on GC and won all classifications. Merckx and Guimard were the only wearers of both the yellow and green jerseys. Only four riders finished within twenty minutes of Merckx (and three of them were Tour winners themselves - so not a low standard).

Top post. We do tend to be a cynical lot these days.
  • RichN95 wrote:

2/10. Would not watch.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Lance discusses the 2018 Tour de France route - http://stages.libsyn.com/2018-tdf-route-preview
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    RichN95 wrote:

References to exciting racing in the past are usually about the 80s. Someone winning everything is always going to be dull.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Pross wrote:
    October: Cobbles! Yeah!
    After stage 9: *surveys list of destroyed GC ambitions * So unless Froome loses a leg it's 5 Tours. Worst route ever.
    You have strong powers of premonition I see. This will almost certainly happen

Nah, he forgot the bit where the 'experts' go on about how cobbles have no place in a GT as they are dangerous for GC riders (see 2014).

It's a pretty full on cobbled route.

Much more than '14.

Yep.

And yeah, I love cobbled classics, but if we don't recognise that there's a hell of a lot of luck involved in riding pave (as well as technique, power etc)... I'm still not convinced they have a real place in a GT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2017
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

References to exciting racing in the past are usually about the 80s. Someone winning everything is always going to be dull.
    So to make the Tour exciting what we actually have to nothing to with radios or powermeters or teams. What we need to do is shoot the dominant rider of the time.

80s cycling was good at times but it was like McDonalds. I got to see it maybe once or twice a year and I was a kid. Now we're in the cycling equivalent of Supersize Me and a Big Mac is less alluring even though it's the same as it's always been.
  • rick_chasey
    Lance banging on abut passage du gois. Seems to think it'll be carnage.
  • Lance banging on abut passage du gois. Seems to think it'll be carnage.

Isn't that the bit they aren't doing now because of the tides?
  • RichN95.
    It won't be. It's right at the beginning of the stage (as it was in 2011). They'll take it easy. In 1999, when there was carnage, it was in the middle of the stage.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Cobble stage same day as football world cup final.
    Odds on a France v Belgium final that day?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It won't be. It's right at the beginning of the stage (as it was in 2011). They'll take it easy. In 1999, when there was carnage, it was in the middle of the stage.

And they're going over the bridge.
  • RichN95.
    orraloon wrote:
    Cobble stage same day as football world cup final.
    Odds on a France v Belgium final that day?
    It's Putin's World Cup. It'll be Russia v Russia B (formerly Ukraine)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    what i'd really love to see in a GT would be one with no high moutains. Imagine a route a rider like Sagan \ Cancellara could win. Why not have more riders in contention by avoiding the high passes altogether. In my head it seems like a great idea but cant ever see the organisers doing it.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    sherer wrote:
    what i'd really love to see in a GT would be one with no high moutains. Imagine a route a rider like Sagan \ Cancellara could win. Why not have more riders in contention by avoiding the high passes altogether. In my head it seems like a great idea but cant ever see the organisers doing it.

What, a three week Eneco Tour?

Shudder...
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sherer
    Timoid. wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Shudder...

was thinking a few LBL like stages, hilly stages and but no high mountains. Something to drop the pack but a route that would keep the classics men still in contention. If such a route as possible. Canc has won TdS, Sagan has won ToC both of which have a lot of climbing but no high passes.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Shudder...
    The Eneco Tour, the Tour of Britain and the Tour of Poland back to back
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    sherer wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Shudder...

was thinking a few LBL like stages, hilly stages and but no high mountains. Something to drop the pack but a route that would keep the classics men still in contention. If such a route as possible. Canc has won TdS, Sagan has won ToC both of which have a lot of climbing but no high passes.

They do have stages like that. But they're not ridden hard like single day races because there's no incentive to. Its also a lit warmer and most of the riders are fitter than in April.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • sherer
    gsk82 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Shudder...

They do have stages like that. But they're not ridden hard like single day races because there's no incentive to. Its also a lit warmer and most of the riders are fitter than in April.

That's because all the action happens in the high mountains so everyone waits for those days. What is there were no high mountains, then how would those stages be raced ?
  • rick_chasey
    I once designed a one week route on procycling manager 2008 which was the following:

Stage 1: MSR
    Stage 2: Roubaix
    Stage 3: LBL
    Stage 4: classic Alp D'Huez stage (here: https://thebrandbuilder.files.wordpress ... file17.gif)
    Stage 5: 55km flat TT.

Stijn Devolder crushed everyone, every time.

I'd back Valverde on that course this year.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I once designed a one week route on procycling manager 2008 which was the following:

Stage 1: MSR
    Stage 2: Roubaix
    Stage 3: LBL
    Stage 4: classic Alp D'Huez stage (here: https://thebrandbuilder.files.wordpress ... file17.gif)
    Stage 5: 55km flat TT.

Stijn Devolder crushed everyone, every time.

I'd back Valverde on that course this year.

I'd take Nibs
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    I'd back Dumoulin on that course - the TT is the most decisive stage. Alpe d'Huez isn't particularly hard (relative to some climbs) and he'll still be fresh for the TT. With a harder mountain (say Ventoux) I'd still back Froome (depends on time bonuses)
  • rick_chasey
    3 horse race!

Who has current procycling manager?? anyone?
  • rick_chasey
    Importantly, they were all full length, so they covered 800km in the first 3 days....
  • RichN95.
    Importantly, they were all full length, so they covered 800km in the first 3 days....
    You and your tank obsession again
  • rick_chasey
    Guilty.

You’ll know what I mean more if you ride more ;)
  • RichN95.
    Guilty.

You’ll know what I mean more if you ride more ;)
    I’m not saying you’re wrong