Fitting guards-sks chromoplastics

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi

A very specific question, but wondering if anyone can assist in fitting guards to my Allez. The 2018 model comes with eyelets so I thought everything would be okay, especially looking at this video which clearly shows it fitted with a front guard.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/cycling-tech/specialized-allez-elite

However, I had trouble getting clearance on the front so I studied the video in some detail. Whilst they got the guards on for static pictures, the moving bits are all sans front guard. If you (can be bothered to) scroll to 2:06 ish, there appears to be very little clearance under the caliper.

TL;DR-has anyone fitted guards to a new Allez, or anyone have advice to get what I think is some extra clearance-do I need a long drop caliper for the front??

Thanks!
Tim

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Which brake calipers do you have?

My 2011 Allez doesn't have room for proper guards - I've got the Crud RR II guards that are just about ready for the bin - the rubbing on the rear has worn it thin...

With the stock brakes there was only just enough room fo the front guard - once I swapped out for 105 calipers there was a bit more room (and better braking)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Long drop caliper will not give you any more clearance than you already have. Looking at that vid, there clearly isn't the room to fit 'usable' guards - even in the stills you can see the front fender is running very low under the fork crown (and is probably rubbing, which is why they took it off for the riding). Crudguards might be your only option - they are pretty good anyway...
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks Imposter - that was my takeaway - sucks they market it as a winter bike that takes guards, why fit eyelets if there isn't proper clearance under the fork?! The back fitted on fine so I guess its a front RoadRacer to track down then...

A little miffed as I bought it on the premise of it being properly "guardable" and it turns out, maybe, that its no better than any other road bike. Its a decent bike nonetheless, just not quite what it was sold as
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Don't know whether this will work on your bike but I've cut two half moon sections out of my SKS guards to get enough clearance where they foul the steel forks on my tourer which has quite a narrow Cinelli crown. This gives clearance sideways to stop the guards rubbing the tyres and also enables the guards to sit a few mm higher under the crown.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I did exactly the same with my daughter's Giant last week. I made sure I rubbed down the edges I'd cut to a smooth finish to reduce risks of rubbing.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Thanks Imposter - that was my takeaway - sucks they market it as a winter bike that takes guards, why fit eyelets if there isn't proper clearance under the fork?! The back fitted on fine so I guess its a front RoadRacer to track down then...

A little miffed as I bought it on the premise of it being properly "guardable" and it turns out, maybe, that its no better than any other road bike. Its a decent bike nonetheless, just not quite what it was sold as

If it helps, I used to ride a 'proper' winter bike will 'genuine' clearance for full guards, but my preference was still to run crud roadracers on it - much preferred them to SKS or similar.

Another thing - it's slightly disingenuous of CW not to explain why they removed the front guard, given that the video clearly shows it being ridden without.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Imposter wrote:
    Another thing - it's slightly disingenuous of CW not to explain why they removed the front guard, given that the video clearly shows it being ridden without.
    More than slightly I'd say. In the still shots you can see how much the guard bends down under the brake then kicks up at the front.
    What size tyres are you running? Would there be enough room with a thinner tyre on the front?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always been suspicious of "winter" bikes using standard brake calipers. I got the impression they'd force you to use 23mm tyres and / or put up with ridiculously tight clearances, squashed guards and constant rubbing. I might have been wrong though.

That's why I went for a proper winter trainer with long drop calipers and fittings / space for 25mm tyres and full Chromoplastics and I'm still riding it 10 years on in the wet bits of the year.
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks all, I guess you live and learn, I thought I was buying a proper full on winter bike with apparently 28mm clearance and plenty of room for guards. Certainly all bike press banged on about these being good for winter etc. Doubt Specialized will be too interested in my issues though!!

Reassuring to see CW had the same problem as me, although I did dump the stock wheels and tyres, currently on 25mm GP4s which I know size up big, could try it with a 23mm tyre I have lying around, might work ok if a bit of a compromise?
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    I did exactly the same with my daughter's Giant last week. I made sure I rubbed down the edges I'd cut to a smooth finish to reduce risks of rubbing.

Out of interest which Giant bike and which guards? I have an Alu Defy and need to fit guards but no one can convincingly advise which guards will fit
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    It's a 2011 Avail. I also had to cut some of the metal away from the bracket that attaches to the fork so that I could push the 'guard up as high as possible before reattaching the brake.....a bit of a fiddle.
    They're SKS Chromoplastics.
    Can't work out how to add images from my iPad.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Giant makes these beauties. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant ... nder-black Never used them myself but look like they would work on most roadbikes with minimal clearance.
  • Thanks both, ive been asking and surfing around trying to get definate answers, a lot suggest that the giant ones dont fit the Defy despite being sold for it. Think its going to be a lot of trial and error
  • Not sure anyone was following this thread, but I spoke with Specialized who confirmed the Allez does fit sks chromoplastics (p35), but they suggested filing of the bracket that connects to the brake mount!

With nothing to lose, took off 3-4mm and now have a winterised bike

pQctT2S.jpg

It’s a bit tight (sleek!) but runs without any rub when on a stand
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    If they are too tight and mud/debris catches the tyre, you could try using fender nuts so the guard doesn't travel under the fork/caliper.
    Something like these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/prob ... -per-pair/. You might still have to saw/trim the mudguard.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I use Giant Defy mudguards on my 2015 Allez (ie. without proper mounting points). The bike is equipped with Shimano 105 5800 brakes and 25mm Continental 4 Seasons tyres. They work well, albeit without a lot of room (but they haven't clogged up yet and there would obviously be even more room with 23mm tyres). It took a bit of work to get them fitted properly but once on, they are rock solid with no rattles or other noises and IMHO far better that Race Blades or Crud Catchers. The 105 brakes help as there is a bit more room under them than their Tiagra or Ultegra counterparts. I gave more detail with pictures here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13040738&hilit=mudguards
    See about a quarter of the way down the page.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That looks a very tidy job! Should be OK on clean roads / decent tarmac. Wouldn't be enough clearance for some of my typical winter rides though; the farmers round here are a mucky lot. Managed to completely bung up my Chromoplastics more than once despite decent clearances on the winter bike