Root cause of hip pain

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited November 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Been chasing this for a month or so and couldn`t figure what the cause was.
Only thing changed on the bike was a move from Look to Spd sl but wasn`t convinced it was that,

Spoke to GP who reckoned soft tissue damage but had an Xray just in case ( no result yet) but decided on a cleat fit to cover all bases.

During the fit it was discovered that my 200 quid all singing carbon paradigm saddle had collapsed and was dropped down at one side. !! that wouldn`t help eh ?

New saddle and cleats fitted so hopefully that will help. Helps to have someone else have a look to see stuff that you`re missing as you kinda get fixated on what you think is the cause.
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• bikes`n`guns
    edited October 2017
    Oh well. seems the saddle may not have helped but the xrays showed osteoarthritis in both hips.

Not happy, only 50 ffs ,but what can you do.

Anybody any experience of this ? I have no plans to curtail my cycling (might start looking at recumbent trikes though ) :)
  • bikes`n`guns
    edited October 2017
    Buggers
  • Double post , sorry
  • hi

Is it just your hips or getting pain anywhere else after riding ?

Been having problems with joint pain and had all blood tests come back negative ,
    thanks
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Im 36, been diagnosed with a Femoroacetabular impingement, have a labral tear and the onset of osteoarthritis in my left hip. Been suffering for 10 years with it but on,y recently had it diagnosed
    Waiting for an op on the hip to shave the bone off and try and fix the tear.

Just kind of get on with it at the mo and take plenty of ibuprofen.

Its highly likely that ill need a hip replacement in the nearish future.

Oh, i also have a badly torn meniscus in my left knee, caused 10 years ago probably by the lack of movement in my hip as i went as i stood up from a squat - again, only diagnosed in may.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Just my hips.
    Went out for 35k today and they settled in after 15k or so.
    Anti inflammatory gel and heat for me I think.

I`ll be chatting with the GP again after they run it past an expert.

Got a Rourke 853 coming in Nov so it`ll have to be a comfy build methinks lol.

Brooks saddle for a start. :)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    You'd be surprised how many of these issues are caused by lack of flexibilty/stretching. My wife works in sports massage and finds cyclists especially v. resistant to doing anything like a stretching routine. they would rather spend £200+ on saddles/bib shorts. Yet she treats professional sportspeople who have a massage after every game or after a big event. Her latest client did a 200 mile race (running). Might be worth finding someone who can look at your flexibilty and see what they say.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    amrushton wrote:
    You'd be surprised how many of these issues are caused by lack of flexibilty/stretching. My wife works in sports massage and finds cyclists especially v. resistant to doing anything like a stretching routine. they would rather spend £200+ on saddles/bib shorts. Yet she treats professional sportspeople who have a massage after every game or after a big event. Her latest client did a 200 mile race (running). Might be worth finding someone who can look at your flexibilty and see what they say.

^^^^^^^ IME This.

I was diagnosed with hip OA - in addition the hamstring insertion point was also OA damaged. I declined surgery for both conditions.
    I got a hip and hamstring excercise program - I was told it would be 12 months before I seen any results. In the end it took 18 months - and the exercise regime was tough.
    But now I am back on my bike and did the birmingham 100 a few weeks back.
    Lots of chamios cream and brooks saddle also helped as did enrolling on a yoga class.
    Another point is to try and shed some weight - this reduces load on your hips.
    IME hip OA wasn't the end of cycling - you can do a lot without surgery.
  • I had a bike fit this weekend and the major issue was the Hip Flexor and lack of mobility in it.

Bike fitter said it was the worst case he has seen :-)

So need to see an Physio / Osteopath for some treatment with some stretching
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    For my OA knees, by X-ray years ago, I've been taking glucosamine and chondroitin (fixed hair loss too - not lost one since). I do various floor exercies off internet, three times a week. Run half marathons and cycle 50 miles no problems. 70 birthday next year.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    gratziani wrote:
    I had a bike fit this weekend and the major issue was the Hip Flexor and lack of mobility in it.

Bike fitter said it was the worst case he has seen :-)

So need to see an Physio / Osteopath for some treatment with some stretching

If you are waiting - some generic hip exercises may help. Bridges off an exercise ball is a good one.
  • Thanks will have a google