Sealant direct to inner tubes

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Im getting a high frequency of punctures of varying speeds. Thinking of trying the sealant into inner tube 'hack'. Anyone tried it? Also seen some orange colour sealant in Halfords the other day for less than a tenner, has anyone got a sealant they'd reccomend to try? Im not keen to go the full tubeless option for now.
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I used to get punctures all the time. I tried different tyres, with various anti-puncture bands and technologies and still managed to find a thorn to go through it. I was resistant to tubeless, because faff. I eventually got fed up of replacing tubes and went tubeless. Not a single puncture since, over the same rides and territories.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • kirkee
    Thought I may get a reply recommending to go tubeless! I could give my front tyre a go at tubeless as I'm running a Chunky Monkey and its a well built tyre with thick sidewalls. Ive got a few of the low priced Maxxis ardents that I use on the rear wheel, the sidewalls on these seem to wear to the carcass threads fairly quickly so prob not ideal for tubeless set up.
    Faff is the main thing stopping me but the amount of punctures lately my sway it.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    My current tubeless setup is Ardent and High Roller II.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I converted sons and mine to tubeless and its been a revelation simply in terms of the puncture proofing.Front and rear Chunky Monkeys on mine, front and rear Smorgasbord on his.

Mine are on cheap decathlon 29er wheels, his are on slightly better Mavics but neither are proper tubeless rims, just taped with Gorilla tape and using Stans valves and sealant. It was quite a fun project to get going in the first place, and hugely beneficial in terms of the reduction in puncture repairs.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kirkee
    Thanks for your helpful replies. Ill give it a go with the tubeless set up....may experiment with my commuter tyres aswell. Cheers