BigringVR

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
Has anyone else tried bigringVR? Its a ride to video type thing (like the tacx VR videos) and controls a smart trainer to simulate hills etc. I've given it a brief go and it seems pretty good. Usually a zwift user but nice to have a change... Its currently in free to use beta, just sign up on the website. Its got loads of routes including lots of well known climbs etc.

https://bigringvr.com

I am not associated with this in any way by the way....

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I tried it and need to have another go.

I can't use fulgaz as I have no apple devices.

My only dissapointment, is that the filming, at least on the few I tried, was done from a car, or motorized vehicle of some kind. So even if i was slogging along, I was still 'overtaking' other riders, which didn't make a lot of sense, or feel right. I appreciate it is a stock film, and it is what it is, but I just feel if it was filmed from something in the vicinity of the correct speed, it would have felt better - maybe they have done so for other videos.
    Also gather they have started putting some flatter rides in - don't always want to do a monster ride, and might use a flatter or rolling ride to replace a recovery ride on TR, just be more interesting in the garage at 6am on a cold and dark weekday morning.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have used it quite a bit .... until I discovered FulGaz ... and havent touched it since.

Its a good program, but all the vids have been recorded from cars, so you overtake some realllly slow cyclists when only doing 6mph up a hill and cars dont lean when going around corners etc.

fulgaz on the other hand is all recorded from a person on a bike, so the correct speed etc etc ... also with the fulgaz rides there are lots with other riders, timetrials, races, loops etc etc etc.

but for a freebie, VR is good
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    fat daddy wrote:
    I have used it quite a bit .... until I discovered FulGaz ... and havent touched it since.

Its a good program, but all the vids have been recorded from cars, so you overtake some realllly slow cyclists when only doing 6mph up a hill and cars dont lean when going around corners etc.

fulgaz on the other hand is all recorded from a person on a bike, so the correct speed etc etc ... also with the fulgaz rides there are lots with other riders, timetrials, races, loops etc etc etc.

but for a freebie, VR is good

Gotta agree on fulgaz, have moved my subscription to them from Zwift, mainly to wind my mates up who hate to see rides from Mallorca etc appear on Strave complete with map and elevation :twisted:
    In reality i am far more motivated by scenery and the journey :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Yeah its still filmed from cars, so like you say traffic etc is a bit weird. It doesn't really bother me though...i just like looking at the scenery tbh. Still mainly used zwift but this is a nice change. Don't have fulgaz as not on apple anymore....they need to bring out a PC version.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Yeah its still filmed from cars, so like you say traffic etc is a bit weird. It doesn't really bother me though...i just like looking at the scenery tbh. Still mainly used zwift but this is a nice change. Don't have fulgaz as not on apple anymore....they need to bring out a PC version.

I asked Fulgaz about a pc version, and in a nutshell they said they work on a tiny budget, and it's not remotely feasible for the development costs involved :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Have u tried veloreality? I've already bought 4 videos. The videos are high quality and there's even 4k option (albeit have to buy bundle for the 4K). The videos are mostly well filmed with little cars or people or cyclist around so you feel you are really there - it's quite personal. You buy it once and own it forever - no streaming required.

You can also start your ride anywhere along the route and even join parts of other rides to make one big ride !

And the software is very robust.

I'm using the Kickr3 with it and it's made indoor riding very do-able.