Best clothes for commuting in London

murrencs
murrencs Posts: 17
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
Hi All,

As the winter is coming, it's time to dress warmer outside. Usually I just wear a t-shirt and a long or short trousers. But these are not too warm and not waterproof at all. Usually by the end of my 8km road to work, I sweat a lot so would be good something breathing thing. Also looking for solution for rainy days, some waterproof clothes.

If you guys have any experience, recommendation, don't hold it back :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Full lycra, with white shorts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What do other cyclists you see wear ?

If its peeing down you'd be better off in lycra and change at work. Forget waterproof trousers - you'll be as wet from sweat as you would rain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Base layer T-shirt and lightweight baggy shorts, if its really chucking it down I wear a windproof, otherwise anything vaguely waterproof ends in me looking like a dishrag from sweating. that's down to about 0 to 4C, then I add a softshell if its colder.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MrLion
    MrLion Posts: 12
    I’m full Lycra! If money isn’t an object - the rapha commuting clothes are wonderful. Comfortable, breathable, durable. I know my sizes and pick up whatever’s on offer in the sale when it comes up.

Breathable waterproof fabrics are actually pretty easy to find these days - you can probably find half decent waterproofs without having to lie to your partner / children / self about how much you spent.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MrLion wrote:
    Breathable waterproof fabrics are actually pretty easy to find these days - you can probably find half decent waterproofs without having to lie to your partner / children / self about how much you spent.
    I've yet to try any breathable 'waterproof' that breaths enough to make it worth wearing at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Baggy jeans with waist band secured around the knees. Pair this up with some white boxer shorts pulled up under your arm pits, a shirt made from grandmas curtains/table cloth and a well waxed beard. That should do it.