Broken Collarbone. Zwift question. Have crank based Power but no turbo yet. Apologies just want to f

Spartacus1981
Spartacus1981 Posts: 254
Hi guys, sorry but I just don't get this Zwift stuff as never used it. Basically I came a cropper on a Mallorca descent and bust my collarbone on Tuesday night (5 days ago :(( ). No surgery required but I'd really like to get back on my bike asap and it won't be outside for a while. I have a Power 2 Max Type S on my now rather broken Caad and was wondering the "CHEAPEST" way to get going on Zwift with a very basic trainer that I'll either buy off a local ad site, or borrow from someone here. Think someone I know here has a magnetic one. The equipment I have is computer (macbook), bike with power meter, wahoo bolt, and I think I even have an ant + dongle kicking about that I bought once and never used ... I also have a full zwift account I got free with work that I've never used ... what am I missing ? and with a broken collarbone I'm going to be limited initially as I know I won't be able to move much ? should I just do the free rides for example ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• You've got everything you need - a bike, computer with Zwift account, ant+ dongle and a power source. The Getting Started guide on zwift.com should be enough to get you going, if not feel free to post specific questions here.
  • Bike with power meter
    ANT+ dongle (possibly a USB extension cord)
    Big fan to keep you cool

Then any basic trainer will do as Zwift will take your power/cadence from your powermeter.

Enjoy! :twisted:
  • I broke my collarbone a few months back, I was on the turbo within a week but trust me when I say you won’t get much enjoyment out of Zwift. You’ll be happy to just keep the pedals turning.
  • Thanks for the replies all. So it looks like I have all I need pretty much to get going (minus the turbo atm). Hopefully the magnetic version that guy has will do the job. @trivial thanks for the advice, I probably will just be happy if I can keep the pedals going atm.
  • Thanks for the replies all. So it looks like I have all I need pretty much to get going (minus the turbo atm). Hopefully the magnetic version that guy has will do the job. @trivial thanks for the advice, I probably will just be happy if I can keep the pedals going atm.

Biggest issue for me was I could rest my hands on the bars but I couldn't reach out for a bottle or a towel without it hurting. If I tried to just sit up without my hands on the bars it wasn't very comfortable for long periods. I just kept rides short and intense for a bit until I could get some movement back in my shoulder
  • I ride/zwift with one arm (permanently) without too much of a problem, just move all your gear over to your good side.... happy days.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    I ride/zwift with one arm (permanently) without too much of a problem, just move all your gear over to your good side.... happy days.

I appreciate if your only able to use one arm permanently you are used to it. But if you have a broken bone its difficult to get comfortable without aggravating the injury. Its not so much the position but the pain caused to the collarbone when you try to move whilst in it.
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    I ride/zwift with one arm (permanently) without too much of a problem, just move all your gear over to your good side.... happy days.

I appreciate if your only able to use one arm permanently you are used to it. But if you have a broken bone its difficult to get comfortable without aggravating the injury. Its not so much the position but the pain caused to the collarbone when you try to move whilst in it.

Sorry didn't mean to sound blasé, the collarbone is a painful one a bit like the ribs, it can be difficult to get comfortable.
    Hope you are soon on the mend.... Ride On!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:

Sorry didn't mean to sound blasé, the collarbone is a painful one a bit like the ribs, it can be difficult to get comfortable.
    Hope you are soon on the mend.... Ride On!

Good thing is they heal pretty quickly. Hope fully OP will be out again in a few weeks. I dared to venture out after 3 but my God every little bump you don’t half feel it!
  • Thanks guys for all your kind comments. I'm 11 days in now (bust it on the 10th of October) and it's fair to say it's been murder. Sleeping has been an absolute nightmare as have a lot of other things .. Not touched a bike yet but finally picking up the cheapy turbo to borrow today so tomorrow I might give it a go. Follow up x-rays next week !