garmin varia for London commute?

MrLion
MrLion Posts: 12
edited November 2017 in Commuting general
After a few years hiatus I’m going to be back bike commuting in London.

I’m interested in the Garmin Varia from a safety perspective - is anyone using it for that? To warn them of nearby cars - and alert drivers to turns they’re going to make?

I love the idea and I’m a nerd - but I don’t want to splash the cash if it’s not going to make a difference...

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you're planning on using it in London where the traffic will be constantly heavy it will be alerting you to traffic approaching 24/7. I'd like one but I ain't paying the price they are asking for it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • MrLion
    MrLion Posts: 12
    Thanks redvee that’s kinda what I expected. Would be good to hear from someone using it in those conditions though. Is there any value - I can imagine it actually distracts you from the constant head swiveling awareness...
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Why not fit a mirror? Cheaper and save you swiveling your head as often, although obviously still need to shoulder check life saver, when changing direction/speed
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Pointless in London, IMO. There will always be traffic behind you, and it's not a substitute for a shoulder-check if you want to avoid a friendly-fire incident. The main issue is f-wits pulling out of junctions across or into you, for which a rear-facing radar lamp is a chocolate teapot. Eyes on stalks, total alertness, no compromise, no mercy, a total absence of faith in the competence of your fellow humanity and a willingness to yell obscenities are the prerequisites for London commuting, I'm afraid.
  • I rode near someone with one in Richmond Park and it was beeping so often, I thought something had gone wrong with my Garmin. In London, there's a car coming. You don't need a Varia to tell you.

Saw someone with the helmet that incorporates an indicator light the other day - that looks like something that would tell drivers you're about to turn if that's the feature you want.