Manitou Minute Clicking Noises

CharlieV453
CharlieV453 Posts: 100
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,
I enjoy working on my bike but am by no means a bike mechanic. I have what I think is a problem with my forks. When I go over bumps or compress the suspension or use the front brake I sometimes get a click, tick or crack noise. My forks are Manitou Minute 130mm Comps.
When slowing myself with the front brake it happens twice with one second in between each click and then won't happen for a few seconds until it sort of resets itself. When lifting front and back wheel onto a kerb separately I get the noise once aswell. I have had a problem with these forks previously as the crown was loose so the crown and steerer assembly was replaced. I don't know if it's a similar problem.
The right stantions has noticible play around the seal and I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but it looks like it moves very slightly. I know forks require some room but for it only to be in one leg confuses me. The noise is very irritating as it happens when going over even quite smooth terrain and aswell as just compressing the fork.
The headset is tight and my thoughts on the culprits are the fork (again), the wheel, the spokes or the hub. Anywhere upfront is where I think the noise is coming from. I will reclean the bars/stem/headset and regrease anything necessary but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Has anyone had this problem or something similar before. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• dgmoose
    dgmoose Posts: 16
    I had this problem with the first generation Manitou R7 MRD with the Absolute damper.

It turned out to be the washer at the end of the damper - it was too thin so it flexed up and down when pressure was applied on and released from the forks. This flexing caused a clicking sound that is more like the cracking of knuckles.

Maybe your issue is similar.
  • Did you get this fixed. If so, how? Is it a major problem that would be replaced if under warranty or something to be ignored?
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Checked the oil level in the right leg?

Oil levels: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7grOSQ82keNRHlxWUJ6MDRvdDA/view
  • Hi, as I said I'm not an amazing bike mechanic. I probably couldn't check this myself and don't have the funds to take it to a bike shop. Also how would the fork oil impact clicking. (Just curious)