Carbon Frame that takes mudguards

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
I want to upgrade to a carbon carbon frame for my winter bike. My options seem to be:-

1.Dolan Dual

2.......Actually thats it !!!!!

Ribble seem to have dropped the sportive 365 - The tifosi cavasso looks a nice a bike - but only has mechnical discs, and is more gravel bike territory

The Dolan frame is a staggering £600 - which for an old open mould frame seems a massive amount of money - and the colours don't really float my boat......

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't the Boardman Frames have hidden mudguard mounts ,?
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    take it clip on mudguards like these are no use to you? I use them and they do the job

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-defe ... 1-EV162327
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Majority of carbon frames with mudguard mounts seem to be for disc brakes which sort of makes sense as the disc offerings tend to be more aimed at the adventure/gravel market

Relatively recent review bears this out

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/221 ... road-bikes

So if you don't want discs then the options are very limited. In the above article the Trek Domane is included as a non-disc frame that has concealed mudguard mounts. However the carbon versions are pricey compared to the Dolan

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Trek/ ... meset/AWRS

I'm sure there will be others out there but it may take a bit of digging to truffle them out.
  • kingrollo
    cougie wrote:

Not the carbon ones - so far as I am aware
  • kingrollo
    shiznit76 wrote:
    take it clip on mudguards like these are no use to you? I use them and they do the job

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-defe ... 1-EV162327

Used them before - as you say they do a job. But having used dedicated guards - I wouldn't want to go back to clip ons
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Am I right in thinking that you're not interested in a gravel / adventure road type thing?
    Just pointed a colleague at a Datum 20 which has the clearance and the mountings for guards (front ones inside the forks)
    But he was wanting a do it all type of bike, so the price wasn't an issue. The frameset on it's own is a grand though...
  • In theory, the Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc.

But Cube withdrew their own guards around March on safety grounds(?) and a number of us are waiting impatiently for the re-introduction, supposedly any time.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As has been stated above, the Trek Domane takes full mudguards and up to 32mm tyres.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Saw a Dolan Dual recently, was impressed with it to be honest. Looked better in the flesh than on their website, and it was lighter than I expected.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Svetty wrote:
    As has been stated above, the Trek Domane takes full mudguards and up to 32mm tyres.....

Some Domanes may do but my 2014 5.2 most certainly will not. Rear clearance is tight with 28mm tyres and no mudguards.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I've got a GT Grade takes proper mudguards and huge tyres.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    kingrollo wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Not the carbon ones - so far as I am aware

I have the 2016/17 Boardman Team Carbon in grey and yellow and it does have mounts but only at the bottom of the forks and where the QR is on rear. They are threaded though.
    I have the CRUD ROADRACER MK 3 which you attach with a really heavy type velro to the forks and below the brakes so I dont use the mounts. Its on Conti GP 4000sii 25mm and came with 25mm tyres when new. The cruds need a bit of fettling especially the front as the mudguard tabs which are used to push inwards to release the velco had to be cut and filed as they caught the spokes in the front wheel. Rear was dead easy to fit.
    I would say that its a still frame, which is mentioned in reviews as a Positive, but you do need to tweak the exact position so they dont rub slightly when in use. When they are fitted I have not had to tweak them again other than when they have been heavily knocked or when put in rear of car etc. I found them fine through the winter.
    You could pick up a NEW Team CARBON for around £600 if you look on the auction and other for sale sites as I think they are one of the bikes bought through the cycle2work scheme and then sold on for a quick lump sum as the tax benefits are obvious.
    Thats how I got mine but I use mine.
    Regards.
    T
  • Any bike plus arse saver, Job done!
  • Boardman cxr does have full hidden mounts but is disc and quite cross-y. Arched fork is a PITA to fit front guard too.

I have posted here for same thing and there is very little around for proper winter set-up in carbon.

Please post if you find something.
  • I also want rack mounts but maybe carbon just can't be moulded with these
  • I also want rack mounts but maybe carbon just can't be moulded with these

It's more like it's more of an effort to put the holes in for inserts etc., and or the new design with the flex seat stays can't take the weight.

Got a cheap 2nd hand Jamis endura (b4 renegade), rack mounts/28mm+ w. fenders.

Nowadays would go for disks but more cost. PX bush bash bosh has rack /fenders with 40mm tires.