Hardtail or eBike for beginner?

lukebrewerton
lukebrewerton Posts: 16
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
My boss says that for cycling to work I should get an eBike as that's what he has and says it makes the ride easier as its about 6.5 miles each way.

His route is slightly different to mine and is about 8 miles each way.

I was looking at the VooDoo Bizango hardtail as I also want to get into MTB as a hobby, not just for commuting so I am leaning more towards the Bizango not to mention its cheaper by over £1k.

Will an eBike be better? I am worried about taking it on trails and damaging the electricals as they aren't cheap to repair or replace.

Not sure what to do?? :?:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your boss is nuts!

Sure an ebike makes it easier, but you don't get the same fitness benefit, as for off road, you need to be spending at least £2.5K on an e mountain bike that is worth taking off road.

Get the Bizango and don't look back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    If you want easier, buy a motorbike.

“It never gets easier, you just get faster” – Greg LeMond
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm all for anyone using an ebike if it gets them out of their cars and cycling.
    6 miles isn't that long though - 25 mins or so - so it should be well within the realms of any fit person.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I'm all for anyone using an ebike if it gets them out of their cars and cycling.
    6 miles isn't that long though - 25 mins or so - so it should be well within the realms of any fit person.

The time is about right according to Google maps...It's the 'fit person' bit that doesn't apply :lol:

Although I did reason that it takes me about 1-1.5 hours on the bus so if I give myself that amount of time, to begin with then I can work up to sub 30 mins over time as I'm not that fit at all, which is my reasoning for wanting to ride to work and take up MTB as a hobby to replace the stationary IT related hobbies I currently have!

I'm coming to the point in my career where I do IT all day long so it doesn't interest me so much out of work hours and need to get fitter and healthier to undo years of sedentary activities while I still can as I'm only 29
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commute is 6.7 miles, I started on a very unsuitable MTB and the ride took about 30 minutes ( 2was 43 at the time and fairly fit but not massively so), it now takes me sub 25 minutes through a combination of improved fitness (although I'm now 8 years older) and a more suitable bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you need to get fitter (and yeah everyone should) then just go for the MTB. Next thing you'll be hooked and you'll have a road bike for the commute and the MTB for playing on at the weekend.

Exercise and commuting in one go - perfect !

Do you have showers in work ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    If you need to get fitter (and yeah everyone should) then just go for the MTB. Next thing you'll be hooked and you'll have a road bike for the commute and the MTB for playing on at the weekend.

Exercise and commuting in one go - perfect !

Do you have showers in work ?

That was my plan! Well, not necessarily the road bike bit but getting the hardtail and doing both!

Yeah we do, so I was going to leave a towel etc in the office for when I get in
  • Thank you for all the replies, you strengthened my opinions and I’m getting a VooDoo Bizango! Just need to choose lights, helmet etc!