Lower Leg Service on Rockshox Reba Forks

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Would appreciate some help

I've watched several videos about carrying out a lower leg service and they mention cleaning the foam rings with isopropyl alcohol. I don't have any and unless someone can convince me it has loads of uses for a mountain bike/road bike then I'd rather not buy any. My question is whether I can clean the foam rings (and perhaps the inside of the forks, and the stanchions) with degreaser? If I can use degreaser I would then use GT85 and leave everything to dry before soaking the foam rings in fork oil and carrying on with the service.

Many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's useful for all sorts of things, and a small bottle costs a few £s on Ebay (get 99%+)

You should also use it for cleaning the bits inside.

Personally I tend to buy new wipers and foam rings, but still use IPA to clean the legs, stanchions etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I bought a big bottle for £9 off eBay to service my Rebas, have used it for loads of things, need to buy some more!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    IPA is brilliantly handy to have around. From cleaning dirtied CDs / DVDs, remote controls, PCBs, bike repair stuff, even household cleaning. For a few quid off ebay I always keep a small amount handy. Just don't drink it!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Handy for brake tracks / rims, discs, cleaning up electrical stuff, thermal paste off CPUs / GPUs, getting sticky adhesive residues off things without dissolving / taking the colour off them. All sorts of things. Get some.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Also good at removing your nail polish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never confuse isopropyl alcohol with india pale ale. You'll end up blind with poorly cleaned suspension internals.