Big smoke eating recommendations please.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,976
edited October 2017 in The bottom bracket
No point putting this anywhere else as everyone who's anyone will see it here.

I'm going to London on Tuesday for a couple of days on business and MrsHD is coming along as my glamorous assistant, we'll check into our hotel in Kensington about 9 so need to grab some dinner nearby.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Can I be the first to suggest you take her up the Oxo Tower.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    Wehay.
  • rick_chasey
    Where in Kensington? big place :P.

Edit: also, budget and taste?

There's obvious stuff like Ivy Kensington, Kensington Roof Gardens, etc.

But I sense that ain't ya style.

Dirty Bone perhaps?

p.s. the really nice places will likely be fully booked already, though if you're going for a 9pm you may still have a chance.
  • Wehey indeed.

We're staying at the holiday in on Wrights Lane.

Rick, budget, not really fussed, maybe £150ish for two?

What do mean, not my style? Not going to take offense either way but I've eaten a plenty of decent places in my time so I'm not after chips and gravy if you know what I mean.

I also don't want to pay for a place which charges because it's "the place to be seen".

No silly vegan or anything and I'm open to any suggestions really.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess I mean you're not a chelsea poser type.

Not to say the food isn't good, but that's half the fun in those places. Babylon is another in a smiliar vein, albeit a little cheaper. Lovely skyline views (though I've only been in the private room so this may be different)

Try dirty bones if ya like American. Guy who prides himself on that cuisine rates it highly.

There's Clarke's which by now is a bit of a institution, but good luck getting a table at short notice.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    If you can jump in a taxi then try the Wong Kei in China Town.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I also need something to do on Wednesday during the day... Meeting is Thursday morning then train back about 7
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    IF you're staying local to Kensington you're not short of museums. Opera, Passion & Politics is on at the V&A.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    there's also a pink floyd exhibition at the v&a, not been but sister said it's good (and she's not a fan)

places i've been in around south ken area recently enough for 'review' to be valid...

indian - khan's is good food, need to book to be sure

fishy - wright brothers

italian - daphne's, on the posh side but great service/atmosphere, good bar

steaks/international - pj's bar and grill, bar good for pre-nosh drinks

thai - there's patara and also thai square, would not recommend either for service/ambience

if you want thai, go to thai taste, on cromwell road (nearest tube gloucester road, one stop from south ken), excellent thai food and good service, there's a bar on the way, ken's bar and garden, in the crowne plaza, the garden is surprisingly large, big sofas and probably has the heaters on now

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=south ... gws_rd=ssl
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Give her some jellied eels from a man selling them out of a dirty van.
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly sure pink floyd exhibition is sold out.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Kensington is a pretty dead area for good well priced food compared to most other parts of London. If I was in your shoes Hunan is where I'd shoot for, but it's not exactly next door. Or the Harwood Arms in Fulham but, again, not very close. You might be better off doing as Stevo suggested and heading into town, in which case I'd have a load more suggestions.
  • Stevo_666
    Bondurant wrote:
    Kensington is a pretty dead area for good well priced food compared to most other parts of London. If I was in your shoes Hunan is where I'd shoot for, but it's not exactly next door. Or the Harwood Arms in Fulham but, again, not very close. You might be better off doing as Stevo suggested and heading into town, in which case I'd have a load more suggestions.
    Ditto, not really eaten much in Kensington as there's no real need to go given whats in the West End/City.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:
    Ditto, not really eaten much in Kensington as there's no real need to go given whats in the West End/City.

Too full of Eurotrash eh? ;).

I used to 60m away from the Harwood Arms.
  • Settled for the Ivy, checked into our hotel at 10pm and it's just around the corner so made sense.

Going touristy tomorrow:)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod
    which ivy? if it's the kings road one the terrace tables are nice, plus if the weather is ok you can have cocktails in the garden

if you get any attitude off the bimbettes, tell them they just work in a cafe :)
  • Kensington high street, it was ok to be fair.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Kensington high street, it was ok to be fair.
    Try Galvin at Windows if you want to impress the trouble n strife and don't mind spending a few quid tonight.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Try Galvin at Windows if you want to impress the trouble n strife and don't mind spending a few quid tonight.

Are better places in that 'hood for food (albeit no panoramic view of the West End, natch).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Are better places in that 'hood for food (albeit no panoramic view of the West End, natch).
    It's about the atmosphere as much as the food. As he's with his OH...

In terms of food alone, there is better. Where do you rate round there?
  • sungod
    one of my nearby faves is morton's in berkeley square, relaxed but plush, has a tartare trolley, and phenomenal wine list
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's about the atmosphere as much as the food. As he's with his OH...

In terms of food alone, there is better. Where do you rate round there?

Well Theo Randall is almost next door.

But if you're feeling very 2015/6, Coya is good fun. Peruvian, and one of the few places round there that feels a bit different to your standard fancy hotel.
  • rick_chasey
    I hasten to add, I certainly wasn't paying when I ate at most of these places...
  • Stevo_666
    I hasten to add, I certainly wasn't paying when I ate at most of these places...
    Me neither - mostly.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod wrote:
    one of my nearby faves is morton's in berkeley square, relaxed but plush, has a tartare trolley, and phenomenal wine list
    The tasting menu at The Square on Bruton St used to be really good. Especially the wine.
  • Shit lunch at some Italian with a name like Bull near Soho. Wife cried at Phantom and I cried at paying £19 for two plastic cups of Sauvignon Blanc watching said apparition!

Had a Thai which was ok about 400 yards south of Her Majesty's Theatre.

Must do a bit of work tomorrow to justify the trip...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    shoot lunch at some Italian with a name like Bull near Soho. Wife cried at Phantom and I cried at paying £19 for two plastic cups of Sauvignon Blanc watching said apparition!

Had a Thai which was ok about 400 yards south of Her Majesty's Theatre.

Must do a bit of work tomorrow to justify the trip...

Not bocca di lupo i hope.

One of my favourites!!!!