Second set of wheels (26")

champ222
champ222 Posts: 63
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, just bought a used Cube ltd from 2009 as my first bike.

now, the bike is currently fitted with Schwalbe Land cruiser tyres:

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader ... uiser.html

they will suit me fine for the short term while i get used to it, but i also got the original tyres (racing ralph and nobby nic) which appear to have some life left in them, plus some tubes.

i'd like to get another set of wheels to fit these tyres to. They dont need to be anything special, so i'll look on ebay etc.

what am i looking for fit wise? If i find some quick release 26" wheels with disc brakes will they definitely fit? are there different widths too?

i was planning to get other cassette thats the same as the one i have already, would that mean i can just switch the wheels out without having to make any adjustments? its no problem if breaks/gears will need a tweak.

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Unless you get another pair of wheels exactly the same you'll probably find that when you switch wheels over you'll have to realign the brake calipers and index the gears.
  • Unless you get another pair of wheels exactly the same you'll probably find that when you switch wheels over you'll have to realign the brake calipers and index the gears.

well that sounds fair enough. got to be quicker than changing two tyres over... or maybe not?

thanks for the reply
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on how different the hubs are, take Novatech v Shimano hubs, Novatech hubs put the gears near enough one whole gear out compared to Shimano, so top in Shimano would be second from top with a Novatech hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the info, that is good to know.

In theory though, If i find some quick release 26" wheels with disc brakes will they definitely fit? If I try for some with shimano hubs like I have now, hopefully that would minimise the work required.

Cheers
  • champ222 wrote:
    Thanks for the info, that is good to know.

In theory though, If i find some quick release 26" wheels with disc brakes will they definitely fit? If I try for some with shimano hubs like I have now, hopefully that would minimise the work required.

Cheers

yes
    just make sure you dont goof with fat rims or something
    you could take the rotars from your old wheel, they could be different sizes
    if you go with the same brand of hub youll be ok
  • Thanks guys.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't normally plug my own stuff, but have these on ebay right now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272879336845
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Added to my watch list... you have a price in mind?

Cheers