What drivetrain?

Young_God_MTB
Young_God_MTB Posts: 18
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hey
I have a 30t up front and a 42t 11t 1by in the back. I always spin out and i was wondering if i should go up to 32 or 34 in the front. I am also open to expanding the back a bit, like oneup's shark converter.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crikey 30t is short geared even if it's a 29er (?)
    I run my 26" with a 34.

That said spinning out? How fast are you going? Or are you not good with high pedal cadance?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Crikey 30t is short geared even if it's a 29er (?)
    I run my 26" with a 34.

That said spinning out? How fast are you going? Or are you not good with high pedal cadance?

I have a 27.5 kona cindercone
    http://www.konaworld.com/cinder_cone.cfm
    (2017)
    Im going pretty fast- I race xc,and I can also spin pretty fast :lol:
    Many of my courses incorporate grass sections :cry:
    This is the only bike that I own, so unless I am renting at a bike park, I will also be on flow trails and large descents
    I just don't know if i will be able to spin up tech sections with a 34 - 42 combo
  • The Rookie
    What gear do you use going up hills now? If you are only using second not first you can certainly afford to go to a 32t and possibly a 34t.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    What gear do you use going up hills now? If you are only using second not first you can certainly afford to go to a 32t and possibly a 34t.

I do use the first 42t
    that is why idk 32 or 34
  • The Rookie
    Can you put an XD driver in your hub, then you can keep the current derailleur and use it with an XD cassette with a 10t top gear.to get the same 9% would mean a 34t chainring and a 48t first gear to match your current one.
  • thanks, and thats great, but im a looking for a solution under 100$ - maybe i could get the 34 then see if I need to upgrade in the back
  • The Rookie
    Stick on a 34T and get fitter?

I run a 34T 11:40 on my (26") FS, never found I need a shorter gear to be honest, and I'm not that fit!
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    A reasonable narrow wide chainring can be bought new for around £20 (not sure in $). Surely for that price you can buy two and swap them around to see what works?
  • sounds good
    i think i will try out the 34 first
    havent seen anything as low a 26 bucks tho :cry:
  • The Rookie
    ebay......My last NW off there cost me £16 (CX 44t).

Or look in classifieds as they are becoming more common, I have a nice 34t Gammut that cost me £8 delivered.
  • thanks a ton youve been rlly helpful :mrgreen: