Stratford - VeloStudio fitness and performance testing - anyone been?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
Evening all,

my gf kindly bought me one of these sessions, for last Christmas, and I have just gotten around to booking it for early December.

This is the speel:
1:1 VeloStudio Fitness and Performance Testing

£60
Minimum height 4ft 11ins / 150cm
Maximum height 7ft 1in / 215cm
Minimum age 14

Regular fitness and performance testing is essential for serious cyclists, but it's also highly beneficial for novices or those using cycling for general fitness and rehabilitation purposes.

These one hour 1:1 sessions are designed to identify your strengths and weaknesses, and provide an action plan to help you hit your training, racing or fitness goals.

Just wondered if anyone on here had been, and what you made of it?

Trying to work out what I should think about\prep beforehand, and need to contact them to see if it would be beneficial to bring a pair of my own shoes - I am assuming so!

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    I'll take that as a no then!

I'll try and remember to report back when I go.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I did one of these sessions at the beginning of the year. It was on a standard WattBike--I used my own SPD shoes, and the pedals will also take Look cleats.

It started with a little chat about my cycling experience and goals while I warmed up on the WattBike, then did a three-minute test. Got power and HR zones off the back of that test, plus a good look at pedalling efficiency.
  • daniel_b
    duckrabbit wrote:
    I did one of these sessions at the beginning of the year. It was on a standard WattBike--I used my own SPD shoes, and the pedals will also take Look cleats.

It started with a little chat about my cycling experience and goals while I warmed up on the WattBike, then did a three-minute test. Got power and HR zones off the back of that test, plus a good look at pedalling efficiency.

Thanks DR, had messaged them, and heard the good news re the Look pedals, as that is what I use.
    So basically you walk away with a set of figures at the end of the say?
    Did you find it useful, or a bit superfolous?

I'm not really expecting too much, as I'm neck deep in trainerroad already, but will keep an open mind.

Did you go on the velodrome at all?
    Contemplating trying to get on there, but 121 session is at 2pm, so presume I don't want to go and knacker myself beforehand, and afterwards might either end up with me being knackered, or simply too late in the day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    duckrabbit wrote:
    I did one of these sessions at the beginning of the year. It was on a standard WattBike--I used my own SPD shoes, and the pedals will also take Look cleats.

Thanks DR, had messaged them, and heard the good news re the Look pedals, as that is what I use.
    So basically you walk away with a set of figures at the end of the say?
    Did you find it useful, or a bit superfolous?

I'm not really expecting too much, as I'm neck deep in trainerroad already, but will keep an open mind.

Did you go on the velodrome at all?
    Contemplating trying to get on there, but 121 session is at 2pm, so presume I don't want to go and knacker myself beforehand, and afterwards might either end up with me being knackered, or simply too late in the day.

I had a velodrome group taster session, but on a different day. I think you could do the track session beforehand, as it didn't totally wipe me out. Likewise, while I probably wouldn't have been up to lapping the field on the track after doing the fitness test, I think with a bit of refuelling I could have enjoyed the spin around the velodrome nonetheless.

I don't have a power meter on my bike, nor do I have a trainer, so I did get some benefit from the session as I use the HR zone data for training in the gym on a spin bike and a bit out on the road. I had a useful conversation with the VeloStudio trainer about how most of my riding was at too high an intensity because I was just going out and trying to hang on to the back of a too-fast group, and by adding in some more polarised work I have definitely managed some improvements. If you do a lot of smart trainer work already, you probably won't see anything significantly different, but having a coach standing next to you might help you eke out a few more watts!
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    A three minute test?!