Zwift and what trainer....

D878
D878 Posts: 5
Hi,

Apologies as I know there's a few similar forms.

Basically.. aside from riding a bike as a kid.. looking to start cycling, initially as a way to lose a bit more weight but always considered the local charity cycle and would aim to be in this at some stage..

I'm looking to a decent turbo trainer but talking around £250 max.. seen a few offers recently on Halfords, mainly tacx but few posts mention the elite qubo..

I know within the budget, a trainer that can change the resistance automatically would be great and no need for any added sensors at this stage.

Albeit, new to this and any advice would be appreciated.. I know there's meant to be a decent tacx trainer around £100 as well.

Bike wise, nothing wild.. thinking a hybrid and take it from there.. probably halfords 200is or so..

Any advice, much appreciated

Comments

• Try the Elite Muin Picked mine up for £250 :D
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I bet you could get a Used Tacx Vortex for £250
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Go Elite Turbo Muin. Direct mount over wheel on turbo any day.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • D878
    Thanks for the replies.. The Elite Turbo Muin ive found on Halfords for £290.. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer Is that the one?

Few people have also mention the Tacx Satori at £30 less..

I appreciate the elite is a direct mount and a lot quieter also.. Assuming it would work well with Zwift etc? (Actually away to look at reviews on it the now..)

Cheers
  • D878
    Update...

Looking at this set up for roughly £500.00 all in - entry level zwift-ish..

Hybrid Bike - £193 - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-parva-mens-hybrid-bike
    Elite Turbo Muin Trainer - £290 - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer
    Cassette - £28.99 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer

Thoughts?? Reasonable enough and decent set up to use with zwift etc for entry level ??

Wahoo Tickr already on order
  • For a beginner the Tacx 2240 flow smart trainer is great and you can combine it with plenty of online coupons and Quidco to reduce the price. I have it set up with an iPad and Zwift. Unless you’re looking to put out some serious wattage, I reckon this would do you nicely.
  • Just to add, bear in mind the Elite is a one way smart trainer so won’t be controlled by Zwift. The tacx is two way smart.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    i started with a tacx2240 from halfords and have nothing but good thing's to say about it for a starter zwift into zwift, only changed to a flux as I'd had a very good month overtime wise and wanted direct drive.
  • sh3p wrote:
    i started with a tacx2240 from halfords and have nothing but good thing's to say about it for a starter zwift into zwift, only changed to a flux as I'd had a very good month overtime wise and wanted direct drive.

I've been using the tacx2240 for about 12 months and its been great. I make sure the tyre pressure is consistent and regularly calibrate and see consistent power numbers. The smart control makes the zwift experience a little more immersive.

I've considered upgrading to the flux for direct drive too - is it worth the dollars??
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just go ride the bike outside to begin with. Turbos are hard and nowhere near as much fun as outdoors.

Then if you like it get a turbo. I'm sure at least 75% of turbos never get touched past their first week.
  • Just to add, bear in mind the Elite is a one way smart trainer so won’t be controlled by Zwift. The tacx is two way smart.

Hi - can you explain this? How can it be a smart trainer if it can't be controlled by Zwift?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Fenix wrote:
    Just go ride the bike outside to begin with. Turbos are hard and nowhere near as much fun as outdoors.

Then if you like it get a turbo. I'm sure at least 75% of turbos never get touched past their first week.

I would say this. Enjoy the riding first and foremost. Spend the extra cash the bike or some clothing
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Just to add, bear in mind the Elite is a one way smart trainer so won’t be controlled by Zwift. The tacx is two way smart.

Hi - can you explain this? How can it be a smart trainer if it can't be controlled by Zwift?

See here: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217 ... bled-turbo

"A standard indoor trainer has a stand to support your bike at the rear wheel and a resistance unit driven by the rear tyre. In a smart trainer the resistance unit has built-in electronics that, at the very least, transmit your speed to an ANT+-capable device. Some smart trainers also include power meters so you can train by that metric too.

Fully smart trainers have the ability to be controlled remotely by software on a computer, phone or tablet. The app controls the resistance so you don't have to mess about with it, and the trainer also measures your power output so you can train to a precise target.

Some trainers are only what we'd describe as 'half smart'. They measure power, which is very useful, and can send that and other data wirelessly to your computer , phone or tablet, but but their resistance can't be controlled by software.

For a fully smart, contrrollable trainer, the function to look for is ANT+ FE-C capability. ANT+ is Garmin's wireless communication protocol, as used for speed sensors, heart rate monitors and like that. FE-C stands for Fitness Equipment Control and the clue's in the name: it's a set of commands over ANT+ that, well, control fitness equipment such as turbo trainers."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,601
    For me, the risk you have here, is not getting that good a turbo, and also not getting that good a bike, and you might end up leaving both in the gagrage, as neither motivate you enough.

If it were me, I would look to spend more on the bike initially, get some kit and ride outdoors, and then if the bug properly bit me (I can't quite tell whether you are fully committed to cycling as a future hobby?) I would then look to invest in a turbo trainer.

Good luck with your quest - my tactic of making sure I used to go out early every Saturday without fail, was to layout all my gear, and prep my breakfast, coffee, bottles the night before.
    Pump up the tyres, put lights and computer on, and leave it in the hall.
    Get an early night, and be up about 5 ready to go.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Just to add, bear in mind the Elite is a one way smart trainer so won’t be controlled by Zwift. The tacx is two way smart.

"A standard indoor trainer has a stand to support your bike at the rear wheel and a resistance unit driven by the rear tyre. In a smart trainer the resistance unit has built-in electronics that, at the very least, transmit your speed to an ANT+-capable device. Some smart trainers also include power meters so you can train by that metric too.

Fully smart trainers have the ability to be controlled remotely by software on a computer, phone or tablet. The app controls the resistance so you don't have to mess about with it, and the trainer also measures your power output so you can train to a precise target.

Some trainers are only what we'd describe as 'half smart'. They measure power, which is very useful, and can send that and other data wirelessly to your computer , phone or tablet, but but their resistance can't be controlled by software.

For a fully smart, contrrollable trainer, the function to look for is ANT+ FE-C capability. ANT+ is Garmin's wireless communication protocol, as used for speed sensors, heart rate monitors and like that. FE-C stands for Fitness Equipment Control and the clue's in the name: it's a set of commands over ANT+ that, well, control fitness equipment such as turbo trainers."

Gotcha. So one way smart is essentially useless if you already have a power meter.
  • D878
    Thanks for the advice..

Think would have been better looking at this in the summer as probably would have just went for a bike, outdoor and taken it from there...

Will look at the options with and without a trainer and see what best suits for the time being.. ideally want to be riding in a few charity based cycles locally next summer also.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Dannbodge wrote:

Gotcha. So one way smart is essentially useless if you already have a power meter.
    Yes
  • D878 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice..

Think would have been better looking at this in the summer as probably would have just went for a bike, outdoor and taken it from there...

Will look at the options with and without a trainer and see what best suits for the time being.. ideally want to be riding in a few charity based cycles locally next summer also.

Just one further bit of advice. Seriously consider if you want a hybrid. You may find that going to a road bike is the best option - I had a hybrid for a year but wanted to switch to a road bike after a couple of months. I kept the hybrid as a commuter but even after a while I was going to work on my road bike instead.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    I already had a non-smart turbo (a Cyclops Fluid 2), already had Ant+ speed and cadence sensors on bike for use with Garmin. I bought an Ant+ dongle for laptop and it works really well by just using gears on the bike. Zwift has a power curve for the the Fluid 2 so records power, speed and cadence for the ride.

My point is this simple setup works really well so any smart turbo would just be a bonus; with the setup I have I wouldn't be tempted to go for a smart trainer as this setup feels really natural.
  • Neil_aky wrote:
    My point is this simple setup works really well so any smart turbo would just be a bonus; with the setup I have I wouldn't be tempted to go for a smart trainer as this setup feels really natural.

If you ride a LOT of Zwift, then there's no comparison between a fully controllable smart trainer and non controllable trainer.