Glasses under goggles?

vrsmatt
vrsmatt Posts: 160
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Anyone got any experience or recommendations?

Cheers
Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Instead of goggles and glasses, what about using safety glasses with optical inserts? Something like the Bolle Tracker, which come with an optional elastic strap which hold them on nice and securely.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Instead of goggles and glasses, what about using safety glasses with optical inserts? Something like the Bolle Tracker, which come with an optional elastic strap which hold them on nice and securely.

They look interesting, my mates a tree surgeon and struggles sometimes as he needs prescription glasses.. I suggested maybe some sports glasses with prescription lenses. Anything similar worth considering?

Added dust and impact protection sounds good..

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Contacts under goggles is the preferred option for downhill.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    Contacts under goggles is the preferred option for downhill.

I’d love to but I can’t wear contacts
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    I can’t wear contacts either so went to opticians ended up with some
    Sunwise glasses with a prescription lens also because I’m an awkward
    Git I wanted transition lenses as I ride all year and think shades look
    Silly in winter unless it’s really bright day. Cost me a lot but up to yet
    It been worth it, although I didn’t think of safety glasses at the time.
    Whoops who did that!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I tried glasses under goggles last night as I was belting seven shades of sh1t out of a fireplace removing the mortar I'd put in last weekend. Despite using white cement it had dried a nasty orange colour which really looked hideous with our brickwork.

3 minutes of hammering and they'd steamed up to the point of being dangerous, so I ditched the goggles.

Wouldn't the same thing happen on a bike?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No because you're moving which gets some air flowing in them.
    They're only good for downhill though.
  • There is a company called Ciliary Blue (https://www.ciliaryblue.com/) who will fit prescription lenses to pretty much any frame.

I was looking at a pair of Oakley's with reaction lenses which would have cost over £500 with my prescription.
    Managed to pick up the frames only from ebay for £60 and then get reaction lenses from said company above fitted for an additional £70 odd.

Very good service and they are quick to reply with any questions.