shimano 11 speed cassette ring flipped?

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Is it possible to put 'one of the rings on the wrong way round?
put a cassette apart to clean last night, gear change 'crunchy' in the middle rings not sure if it's possible to put a ring on the wrong way?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    No, the little ridges/slots on the hub are asymmetric, so the cassette cogs and spacers can only go on the "correct" way round.

I'd take it apart again and check everything; are you sure you tightened it up correctly? I've forgotten this in the past...
  • bianchimoon
    No, the little ridges/slots on the hub are asymmetric, so the cassette cogs and spacers can only go on the "correct" way round.

I'd take it apart again and check everything; are you sure you tightened it up correctly? I've forgotten this in the past...
    ta, could be that my hand tight 40nm just aint up to scratch, any idea 'physically' what that should be as I don't have a torque wrench big enough for the cassette tool? TIA
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    It's reasonably tight, but don't go too mad; once you can hear the little locking notches in the lockring clicking as you turn it then only maybe 1/4 turn more.

I was more wondering if you had just stuck the lockring on, but the wheel aside and then completely forgotten to tighten it up; as I said, unfortunately this is something that I've done this before!
  • bianchimoon
    It's reasonably tight, but don't go too mad; once you can hear the little locking notches in the lockring clicking as you turn it then only maybe 1/4 turn more.

I was more wondering if you had just stuck the lockring on, but the wheel aside and then completely forgotten to tighten it up; as I said, unfortunately this is something that I've done this before!
    did give it a reasonable 'tightening' maybe i need to trim the gears a little, thanks Buck!
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    ta, could be that my hand tight 40nm just aint up to scratch, any idea 'physically' what that should be as I don't have a torque wrench big enough for the cassette tool? TIA
    Probably of no help at all but I find that 40nm feels way higher than I would feel happy using without a torque wrench. Also make sure that the lock ring isn’t cross threaded
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Missing spacer? you can then get the cassette moving on the freehub or have two sprockets touching and then two spacers, not me but yes I have seen that done before.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bianchimoon
    The Rookie wrote:
    Missing spacer? you can then get the cassette moving on the freehub or have two sprockets touching and then two spacers, not me but yes I have seen that done before.
    Hmm, good point, I’ll have a look to see if it’s that, not a tightening issue and still grinding and noisy in the middle few cogs
  • Also make sure that your smallest cog is fully engaged into the notches on the freehub, otherwise no amount of tightening will tighten the cassette, and all you'll be doing is tighening the bottom ring against the end of the freehub.

Casette might sound a bit rattly, and will most likely cause miss shifts or noisy gears.
  • bianchimoon
    all tight, just noisy/grindy middle couple of cogs, other gears all smooth, might have been like that on the road and just not heard it with wind noise, now it's on the trainer in a quiet room very obvious, all checked am at loss :(