The LEGO thread

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Pinno wrote:
    This was my first Technics model. A 9v Mad Max bike with gearbox and diff.
    But it looks like it only has one back wheel.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Bored VN? Where's the tea person walla thingy?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Browsing through the new posts list whilst annoying customers. Bloke I annoyed this morning is now complaining to my boss. He got very angry when I told him he was being totally unreasonable, I just heard my boss say the same thing. Don't think that conversation is going the way the customer expected.
    Anyway, where is the diff on that thing then? Stop using diversionary tactics to avoid the question.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Browsing through the new posts list whilst annoying customers. Bloke I annoyed this morning is now complaining to my boss. He got very angry when I told him he was being totally unreasonable, I just heard my boss say the same thing. Don't think that conversation is going the way the customer expected.
    Anyway, where is the diff on that thing then? Stop using diversionary tactics to avoid the question.

The diff is on the o/s. Let me see if I can find a pic...

357ad15a15e7277214c6420b54ea19b1.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imagine Ella Hughes and NFNATN playing with Lego.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Imagine Ella Hughes and NFNATN playing with my pogo stick.

FTFY. Weirdo.
  • veronese68
    That's still not a diff, it's a drive shaft with a right angle drive at either end. A diff is to allow two wheels on the same axle to turn at different speeds.
    Mechanical pedantry.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That's still not a diff, it's a drive shaft with a right angle drive at either end. A diff is to allow two wheels on the same axle to turn at different speeds.
    Mechanical pedantry.

It's only got one driven wheel you dufus.
  • veronese68
    Edzackery. Only one driven wheel, not two wheels on one axle travelling at different speeds, so no diff. Who's the dufus now?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Excallent, now I know what a diff is!
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Edzackery. Only one driven wheel, not two wheels on one axle travelling at different speeds, so no diff. Who's the dufus now?

Why did you ask the question knowing it was a motorbike not a trike then? Dufus.
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Why did you ask the question knowing it was a motorbike not a trike then? Dufus.
    Because some twonk claimed it had a diff which would be strange on a motorcycle unless it had a driven sidecar. Then he kept on digging... ;-)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Lego masters about to start on C4 peeps.

Tidy.

Several of my friends and people I know were on it, at least 6 in fact :lol:
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Because some twonk claimed it had a diff which would be strange on a motorcycle unless it had a driven sidecar. Then he kept on digging... ;-)

Now you're just being pedantic. There is a gear multiplication in that the motor is driving a cog that's 3:1 and then at the rear, there's the reduction. What the overall is, I have no idea and if you switch it on, it's hard to keep up with but squeezing in an even larger drive shaft cog, would have caused technical hell and it would have lost it's aesthetics.
    Okay, VN 1, Pinno 0 and put a notch on your (bare) headboard but I will have you, it's only a matter of time.
  • pinno
    FAO: VN

d6d0eb558eb446be863224aef0bfc7d9.jpg

That was just to see if it works and it does. There is a thread on a forum to make a limited slip diff!!

Might have a bash but in the meanwhile...
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    FAO: VN
    That's more like it. 8)
  • pinno
  • The Lego Nuclear chart. An hour of fun at a conference workshop.

Basically the chart represents all the isotopes of all the elements in the periodic table. The height of the block is the energy of the isotope, the colour represents the type of nuclear decay. The funny thing is that if you drop a tennis ball from the highest point (Hydrogen) it bounces and lands at the lowest point (Iron), which is exactly what happens in a star

IMG_3629-350x525.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    ClKGSTzWgAAKfdT.jpg:large
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinno
    Cool.

...but will it be as cool as my next project? and the above, could have been represented using anything.
  • ...The funny thing is that if you drop a tennis ball from the highest point (Hydrogen) it bounces and lands at the lowest point (Iron), which is exactly what happens in a star...
    OK, what's so "funny" about that statement? Drop anything from a high point and it will end up at the lowest point. It's called gravity. Happens on some planets around here too, not just stars. (It's what Stevo relies on to ride a bike.)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    ...The funny thing is that if you drop a tennis ball from the highest point (Hydrogen) it bounces and lands at the lowest point (Iron), which is exactly what happens in a star...
    OK, what's so "funny" about that statement? Drop anything from a high point and it will end up at the lowest point. It's called gravity. Happens on some planets around here too, not just stars. (It's what Stevo relies on to ride a bike.)

TBH, I think he gets a push off the start ramp. I call it 'The Zimmer'.
  • ...The funny thing is that if you drop a tennis ball from the highest point (Hydrogen) it bounces and lands at the lowest point (Iron), which is exactly what happens in a star...

I don't think you are getting the point... suggest doing a bit of reading about how a star works.
    left the forum March 2023

I don't think you are getting the point... suggest doing a bit of reading about how a star works.
    Meh. More condescending drivel from someone who claims to be an academic and lecturer.

"Look children! If I drop this fluffy yellow tennis ball here at the highest point, see how it magically rolls down to the lowest point? That's how stars are made!"

Spare me.

I have that degree in engineering you reckon you teach. The funny thing is that along the way I got Distinctions in Physics and Chemistry too, but never mind. You carry on.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    I has been busy me.

I's puttin' together a truck for shiftin' me lyvestock me. 63mm wheels, this one's big. The next step might be expensive as i'm sure i'll run out of parts.

Replete with working LSD - so stuff that in your pipe and smoke it VN.

7fcb3baa07ac93c6fbb323362e606161.jpg

de02425fb2ed2600b82d29dc38e6702f.jpg

2abe59e2cee001b176fa369a5e681df3.jpg

5807a57bfbea1d6d5204502ce3987d6c.jpg

667e53d454d95b8928962995db0d6146.jpg
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I feel I need some lego, only issue is SWMBO has banned me on account of having about 15 model kits not started. Separate thread or merge? They are still plastic at least.
  • veronese68
    Step83 wrote:
    I feel I need some lego, only issue is SWMBO has banned me on account of having about 15 model kits not started. Separate thread or merge? They are still plastic at least.
    Two people bought me this for my 40th:
    tam14063new.jpgI have built neither of them. One is in the loft, the other in the garage.
  • pinno
    Tamiya kits are fantastic. I have built a Red Bull Honda, a Valentino Rossi CBR and a blue Calsonic Nissan Skyline,
    The bikes come with proper rubber brake hoses.
    I think I could put your bikes together for roughly £125 each plus paint VN :D and that's cheap for the 20 hours paint and build.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    Tamiya kits are fantastic. I have built a Red Bull Honda, a Valentino Rossi CBR and a blue Calsonic Nissan Skyline,
    The bikes come with proper rubber brake hoses.
    I think I could put your bikes together for roughly £125 each plus paint VN :D and that's cheap for the 20 hours paint and build.

Cheap going by some of the prices I've seen charged

List of kits I have to do from memory, most have "extras" an I know that's not all the kits

Tamiya YZR M1 2006 Team Fiat
    Tamiya Ducati 916
    Tamiya 2002 Merc CLK DTM
    Fujimi Mini Cooper S (present for someone needs building)
    Tamiya Mid production Tiger 1
    Tamiya Tiger 2 Henshal turret
    Tamiya Panzer II J
    Tamiya Panther G
    Tamiya Jagdtiger
    Tamiya Harrier FSHR1
    Meng A39 Tortoise
    AFV Club Churchill Mk4 ARVE
    Dragon Super T28 Super heavy
    Hobby Boss VK45.02
    Bronco 8.8cm Flak auf Sonderfahrgestell (Pz.Sfl.IVc)
    Airfix Mosquito
    Airfix Fokker Wulf something
    Airfix Tempest non car door version
    Airfix Hurricane Mk1
    Airfix Harrier FSHR1
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    No, I want to do it. I just need one of those round tuit things.
  • pinno
    I'm not going to put the whole list of models I have done. Only to say,I did a Harrier jump jet and a RAF Seaking helicopter.
    I mention these because they were not Airfix but Matchbox. I don't think they do Matchbox kits anymore. At the time, they were head and shoulders above Airfix for quality in the day's when Tamiya was unheard of in the UK.
    I'd like to do 2 more Skyline's: the Tamiya Pennzoil Nismo and the Xanavi Nismo as well as the Toyota TS020.