Noise from cassette

Robtow
Robtow Posts: 9
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Not sure if anybody can help
I have a strange noise on a brand new dura ace C24 wheels
The noise happens on the high 4 gears and when pressure applied (Going up hill)
Its running a Dura ace cassette but not happens on any other wheel
its not touching any spokes all ok on the lower gears

https://youtu.be/wtlhct5C4kA

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You mean the 4 low gears ? The largest sprockets ?

And are you on the small ring at the front?
  • Yes sorry the large sprocket
    The noise starts happening when I am in around the 19-20 ratio upto to 28 it gets slightly louder
    Only happens on the big ring from the front
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is the chain rubbing on the front mech. Also you shouldn't be in big and big.
  • cougie
    Yeah maybe you need to trim the front mech alignment.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What front mech is it?
    With a DuraAce mech, you can slightly better 'wiggle' room than Ultegra eg to stop the rub noise.....
    useful for setting up for racing when big/big becomes useful for punch climbs... ordinary riding , just shift in smaller ring..
  • Thanks all for the replys
    I dont normally go big ring to 28 back, but I think big ring to 20 is accetable :D
    The front mech is Dura ace and when the noise happens, i did adjust the trim with no effect
    With trim there is no rum on the mech at all, I am quite sure the noise is comming from the rear
    The problem i am having is the issue does not happen on a work stand only when putting a bit of power through it
    So taking it to a LBS is proving pointless as they cannot see the fault, only the video
    I have had so far from LBS
    Rear mech touching the spokes
    Front mech out of allign
    Front mech touching chain causing the out of allign
    All adjusted with no avail
  • cougie
    Does it appear every revolution ? It seems to be twice if I'm watching the video correctly ? If once I'd definitely be looking at the front mech as your chainring is probably flexing towards it.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You can clearly hear a constant steady 'whirrrr' as the chain passes through the jockey wheels and cassette. This is normal. There is a separate scraping sound that occurs during each power stroke - eg twice per pedal revolution. This sounds as if it's coming from the chainrings/front mech and is reminiscent of the sound of the chain rubbing on the front mech cage - unless the mech cage is slightly too low and fouling the big chain-ring as it flexes?? Is there any play in the bottom bracket?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Is it a Dura Ace cassette with the carbon spider? If so, what gen is it? The early ones creaked and snapped.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • is top jockey wheel hitting the cogs? wind out b tension screw?

Sometimes this in not visible when bike is on workstand but only when riding due to chain tension I presume. Someone will doubtless be along to explain why this happens and why I am wrong. Anyway you might try winding the RD way back off the cassettte and see what happens.
  • Could well be what Ben says - check the carbon carrier for the largest sprockets...

https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/sh ... -creaking/

Especially on the older version, but sometimes the new too, the carbon around the rivets can snap or crack causing all sorts of noises. Have a look here...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &start=435
  • Robtow
    Thanks for all the support
    The issue was the front mech, but not due to something wrong with it, but due to the front outer chainring being bent.
    The trim was ok, but the bend was touching it at one point of a revolution
    Did not notice that this had an impact, managed to true the ring, now all ok (fingers crossed anyway)
  • cougie
    I called it. :-)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Svetty wrote:
    mech cage is slightly too low and fouling the big chain-ring

Mech/chainring contact :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I had exactly the same issue and went through everything from skewers, bottom bracket, cleats, pedals, chain, chainrings, derailleur adjustments etc etc etc. Nothing cured it, until I noticed it was, like you only on the bottom 4 sprockets, on either chainring when applying power (mainly climbing).

This pointed me towards the cassette and I expected to find a broken rivet/ spider arm when removing the cassette, which was pretty new (Ultegra 11-28). I thought this because the bottom four sprockets are mounted together...

Nothing seemed amiss - nothing broken, no obvious damage or indeed wear. I cleaned everything thoroughly (cassette and freehub) and put back together, torquing the cassette up to spec and bingo, noise gone! Seems like it must have just been dirt or not tightened to spec.

So just in case your problem returns, you may want to take a look at the cassette... :wink:

PP
  • Robtow
    Thanks Pete, I will keep this in mind. being the cassette was a dura ace. I was quite releived it was not that due to the cost