Specialized Roubaix Elite

usmc93
usmc93 Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in Your road bikes
My new and first "good" bike. 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite. I am already loving it. The Future Shock gets mixed reactions but for me it is like a dream, I ride a lot of road types, and some commuting and I am loving the ride. Slapped some old pedals on it while I wait on my new shoes and already looking at wheel/tire upgrades :)

qSU1NY.jpg

Comments

• Nice, thinking of one myself before too long.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I rather fancy one of these as well. I've been considering a Roubaix Comp. Although it would be a bit of a departure from my current Wiliers (which I would keep anyway) I reckon it could be pretty good on all the crap UK road surfaces. How are you finding it?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks gopping TBH.
  • styxd wrote:
    Looks gopping TBH.

Bit harsh, the photo I'd agree has not done it justice and the stems not slammed and seat high, and yes I had to google that word :D
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm not really a big fan of fluoro paint of any colour on a bike but have to agree that Styx is being a bit harsh. IMHO the OP has let the bike down with a bad photo that, at a guess, was taken with a phone. There's a lesson in there somewhere!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dabber
    Mr Stamp wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Looks gopping TBH.

Bit harsh, the photo I'd agree has not done it justice and the stems not slammed and seat high, and yes I had to google that word :D

I guess the stem is never going to looked slammed in the conventional sense due to the Future Shock technology although I believe there is 30mm of height adjustment possible.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I am not aware of any laws that says that a stem must be slammed and, unless it actually suits the individual to do so, why would they? Also, I doubt the stem being slammed would have improved the quality of the photo and thus the impression given of the bike - it's just not very good (the photo that is)!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • usmc93
    usmc93 Posts: 7
    styxd wrote:
    Looks gopping TBH.
    I didnt really buy the bike to "slam" the stem, but it sure does ride well and luckily the person who rides it (that would be me) loves the paint/colors. As far as "gopping" goes, for each his own, although if you are going to insult someone's bike in the future (or any object as far as that goes) I would recommend a more internationally understood insult (nasty, ugly, shitsandwich, etc, etc), but I lived in London for 8 years so I know the inadequacies of old "unimproved" English :) Luckily I love the bike, ride and As far as the pic quality, as someone mentioned, it was a quick cell phone pic, I wasnt trying to win a photography contest with the photo, just simply showing what my bike looks like, so apologies for that :D
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    usmc93 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Looks gopping TBH.
    I didnt really buy the bike to "slam" the stem, but it sure does ride well and luckily the person who rides it (that would be me) loves the paint/colors. As far as "gopping" goes, for each his own, although if you are going to insult someone's bike in the future (or any object as far as that goes) I would recommend a more internationally understood insult (nasty, ugly, shitsandwich, etc, etc), but I lived in London for 8 years so I know the inadequacies of old "unimproved" English :) Luckily I love the bike, ride and As far as the pic quality, as someone mentioned, it was a quick cell phone pic, I wasnt trying to win a photography contest with the photo, just simply showing what my bike looks like, so apologies for that :D

It is your bike, it rides well for you, you enjoy it and it brings you pleasure. That is all that matters.

Yes, the photo isn't the best, but who cares if you love your bike and have taken the picture to show others on this forum.
    Ride and enjoy it!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • I've had the same bike (color, spec) for about a year now and I love it. I bought it to do gran fondo-type tour rides here in Colorado, but it's also great for my 23-mile commute a few times a week...it absolutely soaks up potholes, broken pavement, steel plates, etc.
  • I have the same bike in black. I use the bike to commute 20 miles and +100 mile rides. It is super comfortable on various road surfaces, smoothes over potholes and bumps in the road and has awesome handling. Great bike
  • dabber
    SWMBO said "yes" so I got a 2018 Roubaix Comp as a Christmas present. It's a very different bike to my two Wiliers (which I still have) but I wanted something that would be a little more comfortable to ride on the crappy road surfaces around here.

I've got to say that so far I absolutely love it... given the lousy weather I haven't done a lot of miles on it yet, around 240 miles so far in January. The big 28 tyres plus Future Shock + seat post arrangement really smooth things out and areas of road local to me where I've been used to getting shaken to bits are, now, not really noticeable.
    I'm running the medium rated spring (I'm only around 70kg) and I've reduced the stem height by removing the spacers and the putting on then supplied lower little plate. Easy to do and no steerer cutting needed.
    The handing seems spot on and I've found myself riding in the drops a lot more. On my Cento Uno I probably only ride around 20% of the time on the drops, on the Roubaix I'd guess I must be doing around 30/40%.
    Whether the love affair will last I don't know but so far... just great.