Tom Petty

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,673
edited October 2017 in The cake stop
Dead at 66. Cardiac arrest. Heartbroken, ironically. RIP.

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    So sad to hear this. Tom was one of my all time favourites and I play his music all the time. At 66 that's way too young to go. Great music, great performances. RIP Tom.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Loved Into The Great Wide Open (album and single).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Is he gone? News reports here changed now saying still alive, if only just?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Sad

Have to say although he wasn't my particular taste in music 'Stop Draggin' My Heart Around' is beyond any doubt a top notch song!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,857
    News of his death appears to be only slightly exaggerated. I think they aren't expecting him to hang on long.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    News of his death appears to be only slightly exaggerated. I think they aren't expecting him to hang on long.
    Reconfirmed by his manager so maybe now is the time for R.I.P.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    ah man .... Full moon fever was the soundtrack to my 1989-1990's ... awesome times, when ever I listen to the album I am transported back to when I had no cares in the world ... well I did but it was only homework !

RIP Tom
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another one gone. It gets depressing realising that we're all on the same conveyor belt heading for the drop......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Svetty wrote:
    Another one gone. It gets depressing realising that we're all on the same conveyor belt heading for the drop......

More depressing is that of the biggest new artists of the last 25 years or so, there won't be many that are missed anywhere near to the extent of some we've lost in the last few years. Music has no real quality nowadays and the decline continues.

If we lost Coldplay in a plane crash it would make the news but it wouldn't be a loss to music. Most artists that are semi-good* soon fall into the trap of producing more of the same stuff that sounds like it is by numbers so as to be familar and sell some units, there's little if any passion and quality.

*I did not mean to infer Coldplay are semi-good by the way, they are shît.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    fat daddy wrote:
    ah man .... Full moon fever was the soundtrack to my 1989-1990's ... awesome times, when ever I listen to the album I am transported back to when I had no cares in the world ... well I did but it was only homework !

RIP Tom

That album and Born in the USA were my soundtrack to a memorable holiday touring British Columbia and Alberta. They were the only cds I could find in an out of town supermarket but both superb and great music to drive long distances to. Still reminds me of that trip listening to it.
    Faster than a tent.......