Can I convert my 1x10 to a 2x10?

WoodChuck
WoodChuck Posts: 9
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a '17 Specialized Camber with a 1x10 speed and want to put a granny gear up front. Can this be done? And if so, what all components would I need to change this? I am currently running Sram gx shifter with sram rear derailleur. Also not sure which ring sizes to get once I add another ring. I tend to do a lot of hill climbing.
Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure it came as a 2x11? so probably, but if the bits are missing you'll need a front mech and shifter, and depending on the crankset, either the missing chainring or if it's a dedicated single ring crank, a new crankset.

So some details of what you have or pics would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look and see if the cranks have the bolt holes for a smaller ring, if they don't you'll need to add new cranks to the equation.

May be cheaper to just get fitter?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Or just get a 42 Sunrace cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The 1x10 cambers seem to come with an 11-42 already.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 20171002_171159.jpg
  • cooldad
    WoodChuck wrote:
    20171002_171159.jpg
    ?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • here are some photos. I already know that i will need a front shifter, granny ring up front, and possibly a new crankset and front derailluer. But i dont see how i can attach a front derailleur on my large non-round seat tube.
    I still would like to know what is a good size granny gear up front for a 2x10.

20171002_171425.jpg
    20171002_171223.jpg
    20171002_171408.jpg
    20171002_171243.jpg
    20171002_171445.jpg

By adding a granny gear up front, what cassette (number of teeth) should i have on the rear to make steep hill climbs easier?
  • cooldad
    Photobucket doesn't work unless you pay these days. You can see those but no one else can.
    You need a different host.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look and see if the cranks have the bolt holes for a smaller ring, if they don't you'll need to add new cranks to the equation.

May be cheaper to just get fitter?

Yea I don't think the crank has bolt holes. Might need a new cranks.
    Thank you.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Some of the 2017 Cambers are 2x10 and the front mech appears to be attached to the rear of the seat tube.
    Could you just pop in to your local Spesh dealership and have a look?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Here's some photos. Just need to know what I actually need to convert this to a 2x10 if possible. And will it make much of a difference if I do add a granny gear up front? Also, can I get a front derailleur on this type of seat tube?

20171002_171159.jpg
    20171002_171445.jpg
    20171002_171223.jpg
  • JBA wrote:
    Some of the 2017 Cambers are 2x10 and the front mech appears to be attached to the rear of the seat tube.
    Could you just pop in to your local Spesh dealership and have a look?

I think I'm going to do that.
    Thank you.
  • cooldad
    You're not going to be able to fit a front mech to that.
    Tiny ring though (30t?) and I'm sure it says 11 speed on it.
    Also looks like a cassette with a pretty big cog. (have you actually counted the cogs and checked - looks like an 11 speed drivetrain to me)
    Only way to go lower is to fit a cassette with lower gearing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    They get them on some models....not sure which option it is,maybe direct mount
    Specialized-Camber-FSR-M5-29-2017.jpg
    Specs say direct mount but you need an adaptor plate
    https://www.burkescycles.co.nz/products ... -grom-2017
    The adaptor plate for an enduro can't find an Epic photo
    enduro-front-derailleur-adapter.jpg

School report for CD - Must try harder and show more diligence if he is to progress
  • cooldad
    I saw some have a double, but can't see anything that would mount on. Still looks like an 11 drivetrain to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That's what the adaptor is for, Woodchuck would need to by that as well.

Most the Cambers (haven't checked every model) are 1x or 2x10. 11:42 cassette.

An 11s chainring works fine on a 10speed bike.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    It'd be a lot of expense to gain just three gears - assuming a 22T chainring, 22 with 32, 36 or 42 would be gained, with 22/32 only being marginally "easier" than 30/42 - so effectively on two usable new gears, albeit two significantly easier gears.

But surely those should be completely "extreme" gears anyway, only used in fairly rare situations. Bearing in mind fairly standard but acceptably geared bikes with triples might only typically go down to 22T with a 11-36 at the back, which is near as dammit the same as the 30T/42 already in place.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • It's a 1x10 for sure.
    So do you think I'm better off leaving it as is? Would it make much of a difference on climbs?
  • cooldad wrote:
    I saw some have a double, but can't see anything that would mount on. Still looks like an 11 drivetrain to me.

It's a 1x10. 10 rear cassette.
  • The Rookie
    WoodChuck wrote:
    Would it make much of a difference on climbs?
    Well you tell us! If you are already using your lowest gear (30:42 which is 1.4:1) and its too hard a gear to pedal (you simply can't exert enough force to keep going) then it may help, if you aren't using that gear, or you can pedal up OK in that gear then going 2x10 will just add weight (about 1/3 to 1/2 a Kg) and make climbing harder. If you arn't getting into the lowest gear already then going 2x10 will certainly not make any difference on climbs.

My lowest gear is a 34:40 which is 1.3:1 (after correcting for my 1.17:1 26" wheels to the 29" equivalent on your bike) and I have no issues doing all my riding with that as my lowest gear.

The fact you ask the question at all would make me query whether you are using the gears properly and that would be very cheap upgrade!