Best helmet for commuting

murrencs
murrencs Posts: 17
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
Hi All,

After having an accident last week, I have to re-think my safety equipment.
Basic is the helmet. I'm thinking which could do more, a usual bicycle helmet or a skater helmet. Which one is safer, comfortable for commuting 20km a day?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-helmets/adult-bike-helmets/boardman-comp-bike-helmet-56-61-5cm

or

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-helmets/adult-bike-helmets/mongoose-urban-helmet

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Is your commute 20 km total, or 20 km each way? If the latter, or if you sweat on a hilly 10 km, the extra comfort and ventilation on the boardman should seal the deal.

I don't know about safer, and I doubt anybody can honestly say, as that'd require large cohorts of cyclists on skater helmets for a few years, in order to get representative numbers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skater helmet - name name says it.

Get the Boardman.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Both helmets have to pass the same standard so it's all about comfort really. You need to try them on.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    The Boardman's a nice lid, and I bought one recently but returned it a couple of days later because the Giro at a similar price point was more comfortable (and more familiar, being pretty much a direct replacement for my last two) and the B' didn't really offer anything extra. Also, a road or hybrid helmet will likely have a level of adjustment for better fit not usually offered in a skate helmet. If you're vain, you'll look like a pillock riding a road bike in that urban lid, equally the Boardman on a BMX.

Why limit it to just the two? Take other things into account, such as colour - you'd be amazed at how much a bright helmet can stand out especially if you filter a bit, and the above mentioned Giro has reflective strips built in which will help with night riding. Several models also have built in lights, or places to put them and the same for cameras. I'm also going to assume that at least at some point the sun shines when you're riding, so do your sunnies fit underneath?

Overall though, and the absolute be all and end all is that no matter what you choose, if it doesn't fit properly it won't be able to do its job. Almost equally, comfort will less likely provide a distraction leading to you making a bad decision on the road.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • The Mongoose is heavy (~600g IIRC), but the large fitted me like a round glove, I nearly bought one myself mid summer in white. Ended up with fluro yellow Giro Savant for £41 from Wiggle.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for everyone. Finally I ended up a Giro Foray MIPS 2017. Hopefully It will arrive in few days.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I would have, and have gone for the Lumos:
    page-specs-flat.jpg

lumos3.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18