Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Matt_N wrote:
    Bit of an OT question but what bike is your 2yr old riding?

Our little one was on her balance bike until she was 3 1/4. She could probably have transitioned sooner but the issue can be finding a bike that is small enough and light enough - especially if your child has sturdy Welsh pit-pony legs like our wee madam.

In the end we were lucky that the 'dummy fairy' (related to the tooth fairy) in conjunction with Grandma and Granddad coughed up for an Islabike - they seem to go smaller than other brands. Its a a super little bike - very light (below UCI weight limit!) and has some good features for little ones (such as brakes she can reach).

I should imagine keeping them on a balance bike until they are a bit stronger and taller is probably best plus it gives them even more time for balancing to become second nature which makes the transition easy because all they have to learn is pedaling and braking (optional).
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • We had 12" then in just over a year to 16" but it puts us out of kilter with the usual sizing I suspect most go for. That's 14" then 18". However the 16" our boy has is more like a big bike than the 12" and 14" bikes you can buy if that makes sense. He'll have that for at least another year and half.

His riding skills went up considerably within half hour of getting the 16" bike. It's like the lighter bit bigger bike at hot enabled what skill he had to come out. I'd personally recommend getting a light 16" bike as soon as it child fits.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    We had 12" then in just over a year to 16" but it puts us out of kilter with the usual sizing I suspect most go for. That's 14" then 18". However the 16" our boy has is more like a big bike than the 12" and 14" bikes you can buy if that makes sense. He'll have that for at least another year and half.

His riding skills went up considerably within half hour of getting the 16" bike. It's like the lighter bit bigger bike at hot enabled what skill he had to come out. I'd personally recommend getting a light 16" bike as soon as it child fits.

Indeed, we moved from BB to 16" at 4y for my eldest and 3y 1/4 for my youngest. It was the Islabikes one, very light. From there you can wait till they have outgrown that to get a 20" no need to get an 18" and then from the 20" large we moved to a 26" small from islabikes too. Expensive but great bikes.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    gabriel959 wrote:
    ...islabikes... Expensive but great bikes.
    They don't really have any place in the bargains thread when you consider the initial purchase price, but I believe their resale value makes them cheap in the long run. Frog are very good as well I believe.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I wonder how their resale will be now that they are no longer unique in the market though?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    We bought the Isla CNOC 16 as a first bike - was "only" £225 when we bought it, then sold for £150 after a LOT of use. Frog 55 for second bike as Isla bike equivalent was £££££'s.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Veronese68 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    ...islabikes... Expensive but great bikes.
    They don't really have any place in the bargains thread when you consider the initial purchase price, but I believe their resale value makes them cheap in the long run. Frog are very good as well I believe.

A fair point - my little girl has a bargain cnoc 14 SS, as her current bike, but I also just bought a bargain second hand Frog 52 with 20" wheels as the next bike, which we will give to her at Christmas.

As to AP's question re resale value for the Islabikes - they still hold incredibly well.

I have seen fairly well used BeInn 20's going for well in excess of £240, and a mint one was put up locally with a buy it now of £200, but I hesitated, and it was gone :evil:

Two of my Aldi orders arrived today, mostly light related - you guys were not kidding about the size of the camera light were you, christ on a bike, it's enormous, and that's without taking it out of the box.
    50\50 as to whether I keep it or not, not overly convinced as to it's usefulness.

On one bike it can't go on the seattube as there's a whopping great Yepp childseat right behind it, and on the other one it has a followmew-tandem behind it, so can't really have it on there either as will blind the littleun!
    Ah, unless I put it on the small ones seatpost I guess - but that's a pretty small diameter, so may not be secure enough.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ah - he's still on a BB - Puky - we're looking at a pedal bike now.
    Like you - we have the conundrum of going for the 12" wheels now - or waiting 6 months (at his rate of growth!) and going for 14" wheels ... don't want something that's too big for him or he won't want to ride.
    At the moment he loves his Puky BB and whizzes about all over the place. Lights are because we are on the road (albeit a quiet street) and because it makes it fun for him.

Sounds like our two lads are very similar.

He's really confident on it, was thinking of getting him a new one for Christmas.

The Riprock would be good it's the same with the addition of a pedal set but it has a coaster brake which I think works well as it makes sense to stop pedalling when you want to stop but I've read some toddlers struggle with them.

Isla bike 14" would be the logical choice, well designed, perfect geometry matched to toddlers and good re-sale.

I found this site the other da which highlights why most of the 12" bikes are a waste of time:

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/special ... 12-review/
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sounds like there's a need for a separate thread.
  • dodgy wrote:

"lIghts for a 2 year olds bike"

Stop the world, id like to get off.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Luv2ride wrote:
    ovi wrote:

Just seen this..wonder what the catch is, as looks great IMO. I note the pre-built bike comes with 23mm tyres so maybe the clearances aren't great on the frame? Otherwise a right Billy bargain...
    i dont need, i dont want. yet im still close to pressing the buy button. all because my current winter/training bike doesnt have guards.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    dodgy wrote:

2yo is confident in riding - whilst he does ride supervised at all times - anyone with a toddler will tell you that you can't always be there.
    Anyway - lights are for two reasons.
    1) He's small (tall for his age - but still sub 1m) - so less noticable - as we go into darker evenings I want to still be able to ride with him - lights will at least assist in others seeing him.
    2) It's fun. Mum & Dad have lights - so so does he. Keeps him wanting to get out and ride.

Anyway - it's £5 for a set of "See me" lights - which seem ok - and cheaper than I've seen anywhere else - hence on the Bargins thread. I don't care if you put them on a toddler bike or the number 43 bus ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Matt_N wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ah - he's still on a BB - Puky - we're looking at a pedal bike now.
    Like you - we have the conundrum of going for the 12" wheels now - or waiting 6 months (at his rate of growth!) and going for 14" wheels ... don't want something that's too big for him or he won't want to ride.
    At the moment he loves his Puky BB and whizzes about all over the place. Lights are because we are on the road (albeit a quiet street) and because it makes it fun for him.

Sounds like our two lads are very similar.

He's really confident on it, was thinking of getting him a new one for Christmas.

The Riprock would be good it's the same with the addition of a pedal set but it has a coaster brake which I think works well as it makes sense to stop pedalling when you want to stop but I've read some toddlers struggle with them.

Isla bike 14" would be the logical choice, well designed, perfect geometry matched to toddlers and good re-sale.

I found this site the other da which highlights why most of the 12" bikes are a waste of time:

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/special ... 12-review/

Ta - perhaps we better carry on over in the Family & Kids forum ... viewforum.php?f=40032 ;) these commuter type get a bit upperty.
  • apreading
    apreading wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    On the other Aldi bits and bobs, has anyone got comments on the mini bike stand

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13085352

I have ordered one, on the premise it might be useful for holding the bike up whilst washing it, or basic non gear maintenance in the garden - apreading was familiar with the design, so not sure if he has any input?

Its the best bike stand I have found - I replaced all of my old ones that were just twin prongs to go around the wheel axle. My old ones didnt work with the new road bike that has direct mount disc caliper, so I went searching and found the bike shop use these (Feedback Rakk). In fact, many bike shops use them - as well as my LBS, all Cycle Republic use them.

They are really useful in my garage as it now stands because they link together side by side, allow bikes to be staggered back/forward slightly and the bike just pushes in with no lifting or maneuvering required - grips front or rear wheel happily.

A bike stand doesnt exacly have a tough job to do though.

The Feedback ones are £30-£35 so this is a bargain if its as good.

Read the reviews on wiggle etc - they seem to be loved.

My stuff just arrived.

Stands dont seem quite as well made as the Feedback ones - the piece which joins multiple racks together is loose and rattles around, whereas its a precise fit on the OEM version. The spring arm seems to go back further too, but I am not sure that is an issue. They seem a bit lighter than the OEM ones - I know when I bought three of them from Halfords the box was really heavy. This ALDI delivery with 4 in (and some lights) seems lighter. The ALDI ones look OK though, just not as well engineered.

The helmet light (with the white & red bit) seems OK and should do its job but I am puzzled at the velcro strap - its sooo long, it would go right around the helmet and if I cut the end off it wont have a bit with hooks in. I think I should have a short strap at home I could use but I am at a loss to how this one could be used at all...

I think the rear camera is going back, although the gadget lover in me wants to keep it, I know I will never use it and its just so BIG.

I got some of the leg warmers which looked like and I can confirm have waterproof lowers that should fit over winter boots. I got them not for the leg warmers as such but because most of my winter boot covers are too loose around the ankle to stop water going in. These might work as an alternative.
  • jason78
    jason78 Posts: 158
    https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/mens/2 ... =Skimlinks

bargain if your a small or medium, works out £157.25
    2010 Cboardman carbon pro--- gone to pastures new
    Ribble Addax winter with sram force
    2012 Scott Cr1 SL ----in process of being built 2018 MOVED ON
    Stork Visioner ---Current steed
  • Slowbike wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

2yo is confident in riding - whilst he does ride supervised at all times - anyone with a toddler will tell you that you can't always be there.
    1) He's small (tall for his age - but still sub 1m) - so less noticable - as we go into darker evenings I want to still be able to ride with him - lights will at least assist in others seeing him.
    2) It's fun. Mum & Dad have lights - so so does he. Keeps him wanting to get out and ride.

Anyway - it's £5 for a set of "See me" lights - which seem ok - and cheaper than I've seen anywhere else - hence on the Bargins thread. I don't care if you put them on a toddler bike or the number 43 bus ...

Just put a set of aldi cob lights on the 3 year old's bike.
    We cycle back from nursery most nights (well I run he cycles) its starting to get a bit dark on the path. plus he is SUPPER happy with them
  • Aldi cob lights cost more for a pair than the £5 slowbike got that light at I think. Plus for a small bike these little round lights are probably a neater option.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2017
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    Daniel B wrote:

15% off when you spend £80 or more - code: AUTUMN15

When I looked earlier, I got a popup offering me this. Clicked it again on reading your post and the popup did not appear. The offer is there on their home page though.
  • http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHSOFL/p ... -led-light

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBHLL/p ... -led-light

Currently £2 each, they have been cheaper, but great as backup lights, come with batteries.

Lots of stuff at attractive prices in their Fib sale, if you have the patience to work your way through the big list.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Slowbike wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Just put a set of aldi cob lights on the 3 year old's bike.
    We cycle back from nursery most nights (well I run he cycles) its starting to get a bit dark on the path. plus he is SUPPER happy with them

Yep, my kids love their lights, they are chip as chips ones but they love them!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    apreading wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

15% off when you spend £80 or more - code: AUTUMN15

When I looked earlier, I got a popup offering me this. Clicked it again on reading your post and the popup did not appear. The offer is there on their home page though.

Thanks AP - but I've just bought a Pave, I really cannot justify it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    ok, ok, ok.

So Millets are clearly the same company and have the same items in stock - there is only one medium left and 7 or 8 in small.

There is 2.1% cashback through TCB, AND critically Millets have a 20% off code on a spend over £120 - SAVE20.

This bought it down to £148 - plus TCB tips it under £145.

I have ordered it, as I have a Blacks in town I can return it to for free if I'm not that impressed with the fit, which is possible, as I'm 63.5kg, and this reviewer is 67, and went for the small:
    http://road.cc/content/review/201644-gore-bike-wear-one-active-bike-jacket

Still not convinced of the sense of a black (I know it's the only colour they can produce it in currently) rain jacket, for when it might be dark and potentially raining torrentially.

Whilst on there, I noticed, but did not buy this Spokesman jersey, which seems to be a gabba\perfetto style garment - £65 (Down from £130), and there is a 10% code you can use, also comes with arm warmers!
    If you like orange detailing, it looks like a steal:
    https://www.millets.co.uk/cycling/274318-spokesman-mens-trio-jersey-and-arm-warmers-black.html#read_more

product_t_r_trio_front.png
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Millets, blacks and ultimate outdoors are the same company. They're really annoying at returning stuff BTW. We returned a faulty tent and it took best part of 2 weeks to get the refund. Cotswold outdoors take stuff back even if you just don't like it. Blacks group take it back, give you some receipt then the store sends it to head office. It sits on various places in head office until someone with authority decides to look at the returned item and decides they'll accept the returns and then a bit later you get a letter with a printed cheque at the bottom. That's the process for faulty returns anyway.

Just be aware that if you're the type to buy then make a decision whether you want something then Black's group might not be your kind of retailer.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the heads up TM, hopefully I will like it then, and it will fit!

It's on Credit card anyway, so not too worried if it takes a little while to come through.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... rey_373882

Now £1250, not as good as last year's discounts, but then it's early in EOL sales and also Brexit will possibly mean we don't see this drop to £1000 (or even £900 in my case in May).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Cycling stuff on Aldi this week (well since last Thursday I believe)!

Aldi Special Buys: Sports & Leisure

I bought these on Sunday:

Crane Men's Cycling Rain Jacket £19.99
    Crane-Men's-Cycling-Rain-Jacket-A.jpg?o=XpM6TPUmd4wEPCMJdm9SWegYSeYj&V=daXa&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Crane Neoprene Cycling Gloves £9.99
    Crane-Neoprene-Cycling-Gloves-A.jpg?o=FdN7X%40OBXuh%40ApEUBOG%24GzLC%40nUj&V=2aPi&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Used the jacket in rain last night (50min ride) and in cold this morning (20min ride). I still sweat inside like any cheap rain jacket but the vents are well placed so it keept ventilated. much better than the cheepest rain jacket from Decathlon (I think it was £14.99 one)

Won't be using gloves until much colder but I was using my surf gloves (3mm) last winter and it was such an amazing idea (water + wind proof). Bought another pair for cycling!

Happy cycling everyone!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    defever wrote:
    Cycling stuff on Aldi this week (well since last Thursday I believe)!

Aldi Special Buys: Sports & Leisure

I bought these on Sunday:

Crane Men's Cycling Rain Jacket £19.99
    Crane-Men's-Cycling-Rain-Jacket-A.jpg?o=XpM6TPUmd4wEPCMJdm9SWegYSeYj&V=daXa&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Crane Neoprene Cycling Gloves £9.99
    Crane-Neoprene-Cycling-Gloves-A.jpg?o=FdN7X%40OBXuh%40ApEUBOG%24GzLC%40nUj&V=2aPi&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Used the jacket in rain last night (50min ride) and in cold this morning (20min ride). I still sweat inside like any cheap rain jacket but the vents are well placed so it keept ventilated. much better than the cheepest rain jacket from Decathlon (I think it was £14.99 one)

Won't be using gloves until much colder but I was using my surf gloves (3mm) last winter and it was such an amazing idea (water + wind proof). Bought another pair for cycling!

Happy cycling everyone!

I picked up a pair of the neoprene gloves, look almost identical to the Endura FS260 Pro Nemo's with an rrp of £30. Bargain...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Remember the Cannondale Slate? The gravel bike with the weird lefty fork? Remember how some people said, “Wow, if only it came down to C2W prices”?

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cannondale- ... -2017.html
  • Remember the Cannondale Slate? The gravel bike with the weird lefty fork? Remember how some people said, “Wow, if only it came down to C2W prices”?

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cannondale- ... -2017.html

Got excited until I realised you weren't getting the suspension fork, It's a standard alloy fork so you're just paying for ugly.