Convert Rear MTB brakes from VBrake to Disc

schu
schu Posts: 4
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

i have a MTB with rear VBrakes and i would like to convert it to Disc and i have 2 questions about the conversion:

1: Is there any adapter so i can fix the caliper to this frame?

2: Is there a way to convert the Hub or do i need a proper hub?

I will upload a photo with the frame

Thanks in advance

20170929_192459.jpg

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You will need a disc ready hub/wheel.
    There are ways of bolting a caliper to a frame(I had one on a GT XCR3000 around 2004/5 but it was heavy and looked crap!)
    2776004240_6be3cce61a_b.jpg
    What frame is it?
    It might be cheaper to buy a disc ready frame.
  • schu
    The frame is an Orbea (i don´t really know the model i bought it new and raw). But here is a picture of the current bike with that frame

20170920_140428.jpg

I heard about the A2Z adapter but i don´t really know if it fits this frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll need a frame adaptor and they are nasty, a new back wheel plus the brakes, I really wouldn't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • schu
    The Rookie wrote:
    You'll need a frame adaptor and they are nasty, a new back wheel plus the brakes, I really wouldn't bother.

The reason i am willing to covert is that I already have a caliper and disc, if i didn´t have them i wouldn´t even think about it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I still wouldn't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Rookie wrote:
    I still wouldn't bother.
    I have to agree.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have an old steel frame I am planning on doing a project on. It currently has cantilevers both ends which I'd like to update. I concluded that a disc front is a relatively easy job but the rear is not, so I'm looking at a v-brake.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    ibbo68 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I still wouldn't bother.
    I have to agree.
    As do I.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I bought one of the A2Z adaptors to do the same thing for an old Cannondale, but decided not to bother. It didn't fit particularly well given the unusual shape of the dropouts and seat stay angle, meaning I'd have had to machine a new spacer block. Plus it's a PITA to use - skewer goes through it, so must be completely removed to get the wheel out. Also looked like it would be hard to keep the caliper aligned properly as a result.

And it's an IS mount only meaning (most) post mount brake calipers need an adapter to fit to the adapter. If your spare caliper is the correct mount that would help.

I don't recommend them. Mine is in a drawer unused.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just sell the caliper and disc and save yours the bother.