Cannondale Slate

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited October 2017 in Cyclocross
Has anyone got any experience of using these for CX?

I'm only a casual CX-er and was looking at maybe trading in my CAADX for the Slate as a more do-it-all winter bike.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

I'm only a casual CX-er and was looking at maybe trading in my CAADX for the Slate as a more do-it-all winter bike.

i assume you mean tooling around the woods etc? my only though really is that 650b knobbly tires, for CX like tyres don't seem to exist? last time I looked, a few gravel type tyres.

I guess depends what you ride and expect to ride with the slate?
  • Jterrier
    Jterrier Posts: 97
    It really depends on the course layout. I can think of a few i have rode on which would have been perfect slate territory. On the other hand the lack of tire choice for 650b cx tires could kill it dead.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    echo the above .. I love the idea of the slate and really want one .... but 650b ??? the tyres just don't exist for what I want for it, even Racing Ralphs, only are sold at 2.x inches in 650b
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    It was the lack of tyre choice that was putting me off and the responses here have probably confirmed that. Thanks.

Think I'd be better off upgrading the disc brakes and whelels on my Sora CAADX
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I wonder what the options are for running bigger wheels ... a quote from road.cc "According to Cannondale the Slate’s 650bs shod with 42mm tyres gives the same outer wheels circumference as a 700c road wheel with a 23c tyre. "

so could you run 700c wheels on it and get away with a 32c tyre ?
  • 42c WTB Resolute's now available, worth checking out...I have a pair on my Slate and plenty of clearance on the rear.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Wheelbase have some of the Slate 105s at 50% off at the moment.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    42c WTB Resolute's now available, worth checking out...I have a pair on my Slate and plenty of clearance on the rear.

You have a 700c wheelset on the slate?
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    42c WTB Resolute's now available, worth checking out...I have a pair on my Slate and plenty of clearance on the rear.

You have a 700c wheelset on the slate?

Nope.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    It's a bit of a nonsense bike in my opinion. A suspension bike on small wheeled slicks, so crap on the road and on the loose, a bit like the latest offering from Whyte - the Glencoe. The frame is so tight around the semi slick at the rear, the tyres can't be swapped for larger knobblies, the brakes are cable disc. Basically a beefed up commuter that I wouldn't want to ride in Glencoe.
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    It's a bit of a nonsense bike in my opinion. A suspension bike on small wheeled slicks, so crap on the road and on the loose, a bit like the latest offering from Whyte - the Glencoe. The frame is so tight around the semi slick at the rear, the tyres can't be swapped for larger knobblies, the brakes are cable disc. Basically a beefed up commuter that I wouldn't want to ride in Glencoe.

It is a marmite bike, while I'm cynical of it, I'd love to spend a day or two with it, and who knows I maybe wrong does happen!
  • Jterrier
    Jterrier Posts: 97
    I read the other day that schwalbe are now starting to offer their cx tires in 650b, which makes the slate suddenly very useful.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just read that Cannondale arent bringing the 2018 Slate over to the UK...best move quick on a 2017 as there are still a few about.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Just read that Cannondale arent bringing the 2018 Slate over to the UK...best move quick on a 2017 as there are still a few about.

I rest my case! :D
  • FYI, I recently traded in my CAADX for a Glencoe and you can't take the smile off my face. For me, the Glencoe is infinitely better (faster and more stable) on the gravel, much more comfortable on the typically poor tarmac around the west of Scotland, and just as fast, or maybe even slightly faster, on my usual 50k+ training runs around local roads. Granted, I'm now in my 7th decade so breaking speed records or chasing down the guy in front is no longer my thing, but I now have a bike that I can take anywhere at anytime, feel comfortable irrespective of conditions, and really enjoy - short runs, long sportives and multi day tours. Marmite or not, this is one-bike-to-do-them-all :D
  • Has anyone got any experience of using these for CX?

Personally the new 2018 Merida Silex makes more sense. Proper looking, go anywhere, do anything bike!
  • RallyBiker wrote:

Personally the new 2018 Merida Silex makes more sense. Proper looking, go anywhere, do anything bike!

Why is it better than a Glencoe?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • RallyBiker wrote:

hydraulic brakes instead of the cable operated effort on the Glencoe, more room for bigger tyres. Comes with off road tyres instead of semi slicks to name a few points.
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:

hydraulic brakes instead of the cable operated effort on the Glencoe, more room for bigger tyres. Comes with off road tyres instead of semi slicks to name a few points.

Well, the Glencoe are hydraulic, but cable operated. Very good brakes indeed.

On tyres and clearance though, the Glencoe is 650b. It has massive tyres. 47c which the Merida looks like it won't take. Swap in some 700c wheels and the Glencoe should do 35c tyres like the Silex, shouldn't it?

In terms of what tyres it comes with (or not), that's bikes.
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:

On tyres and clearance though, the Glencoe is 650b. It has massive tyres. 47c which the Merida looks like it won't take. Swap in some 700c wheels and the Glencoe should do 35c tyres like the Silex, shouldn't it?

The Merida will take up to a 44mm 700 tyre OR a 2.2 650b tyre and also has a carbon fork. Not sure what the limit on a Glencoe would be if it were able to take a 700mm rim- 32mm maybe? The Silex also has a carbon fork, multiple bottle cage fixings and options for specifically designed frame bags for this model for touring. Probably depends if you want to ride urbanely as a rule and bash a few towpaths on a Glencoe or go into the wilderness on the Silex. Horses for courses I suppose.
  • Sounds good then. The ones I was looking at don't make that clear. Looked like 35c gravel bikes with no extra clearance. But isn't the 'equivalent' also on Hy Rd brakes and the hydraulic one £400 more? Good spot on the fork btw, it's natural to assume that on a price of that money, it's there, it's honest, but it would be better if it were front and centre. I'd be really disappointed (with myself) for buying that and missing it!
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:

Don't think RallyBiker likes the Whyte. If you look at it properly the nearest price point Silex to the glance is the 300 which has cable disc brakes. The Silex 600 is the first with full hydraulic brakes but is £400 more than the Glencoe and much closer in spec and price to the Whyte Friston. So suggest we compare apples with apples.

Had 55k fast run on the Glencoe with some friends on "traditional" road bikes yesterday - no problem keeping up and still have big smile on my face - really loving this bike. Maybe missing a carbon fork but does that really make much difference other than a bit of weight? For me this bike is properly set up straight off the bat.
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:

Don't think RallyBiker likes the Whyte. If you look at it properly the nearest price point Silex to the glance is the 300 which has cable disc brakes. The Silex 600 is the first with full hydraulic brakes but is £400 more than the Glencoe and much closer in spec and price to the Whyte Friston. So suggest we compare apples with apples.

Had 55k fast run on the Glencoe with some friends on "traditional" road bikes yesterday - no problem keeping up and still have big smile on my face - really loving this bike. Maybe missing a carbon fork but does that really make much difference other than a bit of weight? For me this bike is properly set up straight off the bat.

And there in essence you have answered your own question. The thread is about go anywhere gravel bikes exactly as you state re. the Whyte Friston/Gisburn the Silex etc. The Glencoe is in another catagory of (in my opinion a fun urban/road/ wizz around the park/towpath type machine). Nothing wrong at all with it, in fact the various manufacturers are creating so many different niches to move product, the market is getting as confusing as the mountain bike scene (29er, 650b 29+, boost, hard tail, long travel F/S, short travel F/S, enduro etc.etc.) Where will it end - the nuthouse most probably with a bad case of N+1 ! :D:D Just enjoy you riding I say!
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:

And there in essence you have answered your own question. The thread is about go anywhere gravel bikes exactly as you state re. the Whyte Friston/Gisburn the Silex etc. The Glencoe is in another catagory of (in my opinion a fun urban/road/ wizz around the park/towpath type machine). Nothing wrong at all with it, in fact the various manufacturers are creating so many different niches to move product, the market is getting as confusing as the mountain bike scene (29er, 650b 29+, boost, hard tail, long travel F/S, short travel F/S, enduro etc.etc.) Where will it end - the nuthouse most probably with a bad case of N+1 ! :D:D Just enjoy you riding I say!

Totally agree - there is no "perfect" bike, and the older I get the more I realise this FACT. Find something that fits you right and handles what you want to do, and then go out and enjoy it. Take care.