Change of tyres for roads?

jimishep
jimishep Posts: 37
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Hi

I do quite a lot of road cycling on my mountain bike and don’t want to incur the extra expense of buying a road bike as I use my bike quite regularly on trails. What would be the best tyres to put on for when I am cycling on roads? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Any more details on what you're after. Going to be a compromise somewhere. I'd personally get some cheap slicks of the correct size for your bike making sure they have an okay puncture protection. Personally I'd fit those on spare wheels.

I'd then consider that the price of spare wheels, tyres and inner tubes would be about half the price of this road bike (as an example) https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html and that cycling a road bike on roads is much nicer than cycling a mountain bike on roads, and at that deliberation I'd buy the road bike...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Any more details on what you're after. Going to be a compromise somewhere. I'd personally get some cheap slicks of the correct size for your bike making sure they have an okay puncture protection. Personally I'd fit those on spare wheels.

I'd then consider that the price of spare wheels, tyres and inner tubes would be about half the price of this road bike (as an example) https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html and that cycling a road bike on roads is much nicer than cycling a mountain bike on roads, and at that deliberation I'd buy the road bike...

That actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe parting with some money for the appropriate bike would be a better option. I do prefer the upright position of a mountain bike though. Could a hybrid be a better option? If so, anything I should consider on a budget?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I prefer an MTB type riding position so use a Hybrid on the road, it's disc braked and runs on 28mm slicks, bars are set around an inch lower than on my FS XC bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    As said previously, a dedicated road bike makes much more sense, no hassle swapping tyres and wheels etc either. With road bikes on a budget 2nd hand is your friend. Theres tons of great 2nd hand bikes at much better spec than you could buy new. Look on ebay at specialized allez and giant defy. Should be something for £300 or less if you look around. FB cycle selling pages are also good.