Bike fees on planes

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited September 2017 in Road general
Hello
I want to take a bike to India and thinking of using Air India for their direct flight convenience. I have heard airlines tell people that the bikes is free but if you do not have printed proof (from their website etc) that the check in staff can charge you anyway?
I chatted online with an Air India member of staff and they said 'yes' it is included and gave me a link to look at. The link says 2 x 23kg is ok but not the sizes of bag OR if sports equipment can go under these allowances. The bike box and bike come under this weight but am concerned they will try and pull a fast one (as they are trained to do) and tell me it is not included in my allowances.

Where can one find a list, compiled by cyclists, that shows who charges and ho does not for bikes in a bike box please?

All help very much appreciated.

R23

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I've never had a problem with using my bikebox as my one piece of checked luggage with BA, must have done it about a dozen times, can't comment on Air India. The budget airlines do tend to have size restrictions which forces you to pay extra. I've always found the 'non budget' or mainstream irlines to be far more friendly and accommodating than the budget airlines. I've also flown to Delhi a couple of times and there's always plenty of overweight taped up boxes and cases that people try to book on. Compared to some of the 'luggage' they probably won't even glance twice at a bike box thats within the weight limit.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Any list would be out of date anyway.

Just look at the airlines that you're planning on and speak to them ?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Fenix wrote:
    ...Just look at the airlines that you're planning on and speak to them ?
    He already has....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Some airlines have a limiting factor of "total cm", rather than maximum 3 dimensions.
    I have just bought a Lifeline Bike box with the following dimensions. Length 120cm, Height (tallest) 91cm, Depth 28cm. It is advertised as being "all airline compatible".

BA have the following size guideline for a bike box:
    190 x 75 x 65cm
    I have tried both their Twitter and email services to check if my box will be allowed. They both simply refer me back to their website and 190 x 75 x 65.
    I don't want to risk showing up at check-in to find the box will either be subject to excess or refused altogether.

Brakeless, what are the dimensions of your box, please???

Cheers.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    You should be fine. A bike in a box will be counted as 'oversize' and need to be checked in to a different counter. As long as your total weight is under 20/23/30kg depending on airline you should be fine with a long haul trip.

It's the short haul airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair and some American Airlines which try to play games and overcharge.
  • lowprofile wrote:
    Some airlines have a limiting factor of "total cm", rather than maximum 3 dimensions.
    I have just bought a Lifeline Bike box with the following dimensions. Length 120cm, Height (tallest) 91cm, Depth 28cm. It is advertised as being "all airline compatible".

190 x 75 x 65cm
    I have tried both their Twitter and email services to check if my box will be allowed. They both simply refer me back to their website and 190 x 75 x 65.
    I don't want to risk showing up at check-in to find the box will either be subject to excess or refused altogether.

Cheers.

I've flown BA with 12 cyclists all with different sized bike boxes. from mine with is quite compact, a polaris semi rigid case, up to Bike Box Alan Hardcases which are about as big as bike cases get. Never a problem with any of them, they just direct you to oversize luggage once they've put labels on them.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    From here:
    Baggage Dimensions for First and Business
    The sum of the 3 dimensions (length + breadth + height) must not exceed 62 inches or 158 centimeters for each piece. The maximum weight permissible for a single piece of baggage is 23 kgs. or 51 pounds.

Baggage Dimensions for Economy
    The sum of the 3 dimensions (length + breadth + height) must not exceed 62 inches or 158 centimeters for each piece. The maximum weight permissible for a single piece of baggage is 23 kgs. or 51 pounds.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • Hi rouleur23

I have first hand experience of carrying bikes with Air India and it wasn't positive - neither the bike part or the flying with Air India.

Upshot of everything that is on the website is that they will let you take your bike but it will cost £150 each way. This isn't stated anywhere on the website and despite being told that i could carry a bike as long as i didn't exceed my luggage weight allowance when i phoned them about this, when i arrived at Birmingham Airport I was told categorically that what i had been told on the phone was incorrect and that despite a £1500 return fare paid for business class travel to Sri Lanka I would have to pay the money or leave my bike behind.

I also had serious problems on the return journey, delayed flights, missed connections and promises made to fix that never materialised. I tried to seek compensation for out of pocket expenses and all i can say is that I would never recommend Air India as an airline to fly with - utter disaster.

But you are quite correct, most airline information about flying with bikes is confusing at best - but have had positive experiences with BA (some years ago and may have changed) and Cathay Pacific, although that doesn't help you with getting to India.

My suggestion is to email the airline, ask the question and if positive arrive at check-in with a printed reply confirming you can take a bike

good luck and sorry this turned into a bit of a rant :-)
    Ciao Marco
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    OP posted back in January - I wonder how he got on ?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    No idea on cost comparison, but I have nothing but praise for Jet Airways, both to/from India and domestic flights within.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Brakeless wrote:
    lowprofile wrote:
    Some airlines have a limiting factor of "total cm", rather than maximum 3 dimensions.

190 x 75 x 65cm

Cheers.

I've flown BA with 12 cyclists all with different sized bike boxes. from mine with is quite compact, a polaris semi rigid case, up to Bike Box Alan Hardcases which are about as big as bike cases get. Never a problem with any of them, they just direct you to oversize luggage once they've put labels on them.

With British Airways, the "free" allowance is...
    - 1 Bike box (I think my Bike Box Alan weighed over 20Kg with everything in it like helmet, shoes, track pump, spare inner tubes, energy bars) this is classed as your hold luggage.
    - 1 hand luggage ( max. 23kg and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm) The check-in desk was quite strict about the size.
    - 1 laptop bag.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • So, no problem checking in with the box, didn't even raise an eyebrow with the counter staff in Manchester.
    Arriving in Phuket (Bangkok Airways), the bag was missing - still in Bangkok. I had it delivered by van the next day.
    Maybe the sizing details on their website are just to discourage people?
    Happy boy :D