Anything beat the bizango at £525?

adamangler
adamangler Posts: 35
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys.

used to mtb about 5 years ago, had a kona dawg, couple of carerra furys.

since then i stopped cycling for a bit then got into road biking...

suddenly got the urge to buy get back into mountain biking for the winter so looking for a bike

Thought about second hand, seen a few but decided i would like a new one, ive always had second hand bikes and just fancy something new.

anyway didnt want to spend much as not sure how long i will stick it so originally though about spending 300 quid or so but the forks are going to be pants at that money so upped the budget to 600 max

seen quite a few but not as well specced as the bizango, especially for £525

so after much debate, looking to pull the trigger on that one

is there anything im missing at this price range before i do ?

cheers

oh, want a 29er, because, simply ive never had one and i fancy one

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a good value and worth having 29er the Bizango is it.

(Ignoring my new to me 2009 Gary Fisher Cobia I'm just putting back together which will be air sprung and on the trails for about £220).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    As above post says, great value. I ride mine around south Dartmoor etc, handles granite rocky trails, wooded single track etc, great riding bike. Have made a few upgrades over the past year and a bit. It's a budget bike so cables bb crankset, bar grips are el cheapos and may be the first things to change. The rest of the kit though is all good, wheels still running true and bars/stem do job well. Wont have the most cred among bikes but the frame has got designed by Joe Murray written on it!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Cheers guys.

In the end I didn't get the bizango.

Only reason being I have always had halfords bikes, carreras mainly..

I walked into Evans and came out with a specialized rockhopper expert 29er.

In the end I just went with the bike I liked the look of the most, I realise I probably overpaid spec wise for the name but nevermind

Spent over budget as well lol oh dear
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    adamangler wrote:
    Cheers guys.

In the end I just went with the bike I liked the look of the most, I realise I probably overpaid spec wise for the name but nevermind

It looks a nice bike, its almost certainly going to have a nicer paint finish than the Bizango id guess. If yours is the 2x10 its got the same ratios as mine, its an ideal gear range. The 29er was my second mtb after buying a Marin Palisades in early 1990, what a massive difference a few decades orso make!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee wrote:
    adamangler wrote:
    Cheers guys.

It looks a nice bike, its almost certainly going to have a nicer paint finish than the Bizango id guess. If yours is the 2x10 its got the same ratios as mine, its an ideal gear range. The 29er was my second mtb after buying a Marin Palisades in early 1990, what a massive difference a few decades orso make!

yes 2x10, the specs are very similar to the bizango, same colour as well...looks like i paid 200 quid more just to have specialized on the frame rather than voodoo but i suppose thats the case with most bikes.

its the same colour, but i instantly like the look of it over the bizango and went with the heart rather than head.

given it a quick ride round the block and first thing that struck me coming form a road bike (and riding older mtbs) was the width of the bars, my god they felt wide, very wide..will see how i get on with them on the trails but i might cut them down a couple of inch if not.