Pinnacle Dolomite

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited October 2017 in Your road bikes
So after 6000 commuting miles on my Planet X London Road it's time for a new bike and to pass the LR on to my wife (who is very pleased with it being her first road bike).
I spent ages looking for something nice with hydraulic discs, full guard mounts, and not horrifically heavy or expensive. Ended up with a Pinnacle Dolomite 5 as it seemed to tick most of the boxes, even came a bit under my budget so a pair of Hunt Mason wheels may be a future upgrade. First impressions are that it seems much more lively and probably a bit quicker - really lovely colour too.
37257480586_e3f65b706f.jpg

Comments

• It's great Pinnacle have begun making nice looking frames... steel is it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Like the look of that. Are the bars flared or is it the camera angle? Quite fancy trying lightly flared bars.
    Photo of the non-drive side breaks the OCD picture rules, but is it permissible on a disc braked bike?
  • It's great Pinnacle have begun making nice looking frames... steel is it?
    I think Pinnacle have been on the up in the last few years and now make some really nice bikes.
    Actually it's Aluminium, but it does have fairly slim tubes, which personally I like the look of.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Like the look of that. Are the bars flared or is it the camera angle? Quite fancy trying lightly flared bars.
    Photo of the non-drive side breaks the OCD picture rules, but is it permissible on a disc braked bike?
    Oh the shame! I'll get another photo of the correct side once the mudguards have arrived and been fitted.

No the bars aren't flared. I'd be quite interested to try some too, but at the same time I can't imagine them being all the comfy. When I went o try this bike in Evans there was a guy there with some crazily flared bars, I thought that they looked really odd on a normal road bike :?
  • veronese68
    BigMonka wrote:
    No the bars aren't flared. I'd be quite interested to try some too, but at the same time I can't imagine them being all the comfy. When I went o try this bike in Evans there was a guy there with some crazily flared bars, I thought that they looked really odd on a normal road bike :?
    I agree, that's why I fancy a go but don't want to actually buy any. They don't seem right when you get to the crazy flared ones, but a slight flare might work or could be hideous.
    These look all kinds of wrong and I can't imagine them being comfortable.
    P5010249.JPG
    But these might be ok.
    salsa-salsa-bend-bar-copy-243394-1.jpg
    Should have put a wink after my comment about your picture, was teasing the OCD types.
  • What's the point of them, then?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    What's the point of them, then?
    Supposedly better for trail riding, just look weird though and can't work out if they would be comfortable.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Look like they'd give you sore arms and shoulders.
  • Descent that, apart from the discs obvs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Descent that, apart from the discs obvs
    Actually the discs make the descent much safer :wink:
  • BigMonka wrote:
    Descent that, apart from the discs obvs
    Actually the discs make the descent much safer :wink:

Spray them with GT85 and pretend they are rim brakes
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Really enjoying riding this bike. Seems much more nimble and fun to ride than the London Road.
    I'd only used SRAM shifters before, but I'm getting used to the Shimano 105 now. Going back to the SRAM feels surprisingly clunky.
    Unfortunately I haven't worked out where to put my thumb when riding on the hoods as I keep nipping my thumb in the shifter when I change down a gear :oops:
    37745548936_6f04a8624e.jpg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Veronese68 wrote:
    BigMonka wrote:
    I agree, that's why I fancy a go but don't want to actually buy any. They don't seem right when you get to the crazy flared ones, but a slight flare might work or could be hideous.
    These look all kinds of wrong and I can't imagine them being comfortable.
    P5010249.JPG
    But these might be ok.
    salsa-salsa-bend-bar-copy-243394-1.jpg
    Should have put a wink after my comment about your picture, was teasing the OCD types.

I've got some Salsa Cowbell bars on my Arkose which are reasonably flared, and look like the bars in the bottom picture. I really like them. Did a mainly off-road route with them last weekend and very comfy over the rough stuff, and a great feel when bombing down the downhill bits of the Ridgeway.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...