Lombardia Week. 2017 *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2018 in Pro race
The last week of the European season (Turkey excluded) begins tomorrow with the 100th edition of the Giro dell'Emilia and ends with the 112-year old Il "falling leaves" Lombardia.

The week ahead looks like this:-

30.09. 1.HC Giro dell'Emilia
01.10. 1.HC Gran Premio Bruno Beghelli
01.10. 1.2 Piccolo Giro di Lombardia
03.10. 1.HC Tre Valli Varesine
05.10. 1.HC Milano-Torino
07.10 WT Giro di Lombardia

Between them, most of these races define the history of Italian cycling, out of the Giro.
ALL the senior races now get live television coverage, so it's the last chance for a fix, before winter draws on.
I will update info on the races, as they appear above, but don't let that stop anyone from making a contribution!

Giro dell'Emilia
17092112654-hoehenprofil-giro-dell-emilia-2017.jpg
17092126816-hoehenprofil-giro-dell-emilia-2017-letzte-3-km.jpg

Just two years ago, thanks to rotten calendar placement, this race was dying on it's feet, after previously attracting the cream of the peloton.
Thankfully, it's back where it belongs and consequently attracts Twelve WT teams and most of the stronger PCT outfits will line up for the race. (25 teams in all)
Those riding include Nibali, Aru, Chaves, (last year's winner) Pinot, Uran, Adam Yates, Henao, Moscon, Ulissi, Bakelants, Pozzovivo, Cummings and Teuns.

Live coverage from Rai Sport 1 (tv). Online coverage on the Eurosport player for those who have it, but for those who don't it's here from 2-10pm UK time:
http://www.pmgsport.it/

225-PIC144637254.jpg

The famous bit:
ZmFezyC.jpg
emilia09_passaggio.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    The Milan Turin is great, at least the climb at the end to the Superga cathedral. I cycled up a few weeks ago and saw that runner turned cyclist bloke Michael Woods had the Strava KOM.

Will le Foglie Morte feature the Muro ? I guess so, again rode up that a few weeks ago, very hard climb but mercifully short. I can imagine anyone racing who is not a climber would find it a shock.

https://youtu.be/1mYtLEy84BI
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Love this week of cycling
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    How much of it is PTP?
  • Thanks for the great thread!
  • Cheers, Blazing. I'm off to check startlists.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Good news!

Eurosport in the UK have now added live coverage of Emilia, Beghelli and Tre Valli to their tv schedules.

2-35pm tomorrow.
    1-45pm on Sunday.
  • So the Emilia finishes at San Luca? Walked up there in the summer along the 4km covered walkway thing.
    It's Very nice, but lots of cyclists screaming back down the hill from San Luca were going a lot faster than I would ever dare
  • figs and ricotta all round
  • BOTD has 7 minutes: Davide Ballerini (Androni Sidermec), Adrien Niyonshuti (Team Dimension Data), Redi Halilaj (Amore e Vita Selle SMP), Francois Bidard (Ag2r La Mondiale), Nicolas Edet (Cofidis Solutions Credits), Fabien Doubey (Wanty - Groupe Gobert), Jacopo Mosca (Wilier Triestina - Selle Italia), Lorenzo Rota (Bardiani - Csf) e Nicola Bagioli (Nippo-Vini Fantini).
  • Coverage has started and it's Rob Hatch. :)
  • Why is Diego Rosa doing his best Ivor the Engine impression for that chase group?
  • Terrible crash for Esteban Chaves. His head smacked into the tarmac.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Terrible crash for Esteban Chaves. His head smacked into the tarmac.

Horrible. His shoulder took most of the impact I think. Season ending crash I'd think.
  • Terrible crash for Esteban Chaves. His head smacked into the tarmac.

:(
  • Nice card played by Bahrain, but not much of a battle on the final ascent.
    A Sicilian 1-2 as Hatch calls it.

1 Visconti 5:31:22
    2 Nibali 0:11
    3 Uran 0:14
    4 Roche 0:17
    5 Moscon 0:22
    6 Vuillermoz 0:25
    7 Ulissi 0.26
    8 Pinot
    9 Haig 0:31
    10 Hermans 0:32
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What a shitty year for Chaves. Hope it's nothing serious, Orica Scott's last update was that he was OK but off to hospital.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • So the Emilia finishes at San Luca? Walked up there in the summer along the 4km covered walkway thing.
    It's Very nice, but lots of cyclists screaming back down the hill from San Luca were going a lot faster than I would ever dare

So that's what that was! I couldn't work it out from the aerial shots.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    What a sh!tty year for Chaves. Hope it's nothing serious, Orica Scott's last update was that he was OK but off to hospital.

He was getting pretty annoyed with the moto on the descent. I reckon the moto has to take his share of the blame for that crash. Far too close
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    What a sh!tty year for Chaves. Hope it's nothing serious, Orica Scott's last update was that he was OK but off to hospital.

He was getting pretty annoyed with the moto on the descent. I reckon the moto has to take his share of the blame for that crash. Far too close

He lost his front wheel on a patch of wet road, the moto had nothing to do with it.
  • andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He lost his front wheel on a patch of wet road, the moto had nothing to do with it.

Correct. Here is the crash:-

https://youtu.be/IsTaL1HxIwE?t=19
  • The GP Bruno Beghelli parcour for tomorrow.

17092112904-hoehenprofil-gran-premio-bruno-beghelli-2017.jpg
    17092121096-hoehenprofil-gran-premio-bruno-beghelli-2017-rundkurs.jpg

A difference course, a different bunch of riders: Cobrelli, Viviani, Albasini, Theuns, Pasqualon etc.

1-45pm Eurosport.
  • andyp
    Chaves suffered a minor fracture of the shoulder blade, out for what is left of the season.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    andyp wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Correct. Here is the crash:-

https://youtu.be/IsTaL1HxIwE?t=19

I know the damp patch was the main reason. But a couple of corners before he signalled to the moto rider to get out the way and he clearly wasn't comfortable with it been there. He shouldn't be having to think about a moto on a descent. It happens far too often.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    The GP Bruno Beghelli parcour for tomorrow.

17092112904-hoehenprofil-gran-premio-bruno-beghelli-2017.jpg
    17092121096-hoehenprofil-gran-premio-bruno-beghelli-2017-rundkurs.jpg
    From a graphics point of view (and the Italians are quite good at that sort of thing), I think this is the only profile picture I've noticed that incorporates perspective into the viewpoint rather than just ordinary flat plane.
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Decent ride by Visconti that.

Uran looked quite tasty, as did Nibs.
  • The next race is tomorrow's 97th edition of the Tre Valli Varesini, the third and final race of the Trittico Lombardo.
    The provisional startlist is full of heavy hitters:
    Dumoulin, Kelderman, Matthews, Nibali, Cobrelli, Kwiatkowski, Poels, Henao, Moscon, Quintana, Albasini, Uran, Formolo, Aru, Majka, Pozzovivo, Latour, Bakelants, Ulissi, Costa, Pinot.............

The course.
    JMaHbyp.jpg

Varese.gif

Live on Eurosport at 2pm.
  • Tre Valli ends in a 3 man blanket finish.
    Geniez wins from Pinot and Nibali in 3rd.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Diego Rosa, another Astana that forgot his legs at Vino's place.
  • Tre Valli ends in a 3 man blanket finish.

that's my man! (men) That's some energy build up after being ejected from the Vuelta. Very talented rider

DLOWGwTXoAApeNb.jpg:large
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Tre Valli ends in a 3 man blanket finish.

that's my man! (men) That's some energy build up after being ejected from the Vuelta. Very talented rider

DLOWGwTXoAApeNb.jpg:large

Geniez has had an odd couple of years. Top-10 in the Giro but has struggled to get round a GT recently; any idea if he's been ill/injured/just out of form?