Ben Stokes victim or...

joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited August 2018 in The cake stop
not?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Acted like a bit of a knob. No different to a lot of young lads and professional sportsmen have behaved in years past. The difference being nowdays there's a camera everywhere to capture every indiscretion. I wonder how many supposed icons of sport with unblemished reputations are watching this play out whilst thinking "There but for the grace of God go I". I feel sorry for the lad. Ironically the thing that could do for him isnt punching someone's lights out but the Harvey Price stuff (Google it if you haven't seen it yet). If he's lucky he'll be made to publicly grovel and get away with his career in tact. If he's unlucky he could be finished. That's the world we live in I guess.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Just another drunken thug with too much drink in him acting the big shot on the streets of Britain.

No excuse for it.

Hang 'em high.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    If he's lucky he'll be made to publicly grovel and get away with his career in tact. If he's unlucky he could be finished. That's the world we live in I guess.

It might affect his England career but I doubt it would interfere with him earning millions in the IPL and such like.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Unfortunately, we can't pick who talent is given to.

The Harvey video is shameful.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Just another k-nob, world's full of them.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Acted like a bit of a knob. No different to a lot of young lads and professional sportsmen have behaved in years past. The difference being nowdays there's a camera everywhere to capture every indiscretion. I wonder how many supposed icons of sport with unblemished reputations are watching this play out whilst thinking "There but for the grace of God go I". I feel sorry for the lad. Ironically the thing that could do for him isnt punching someone's lights out but the Harvey Price stuff (Google it if you haven't seen it yet). If he's lucky he'll be made to publicly grovel and get away with his career in tact. If he's unlucky he could be finished. That's the world we live in I guess.

Dont feel sorry for him in the slightest, he attacked the guy who on the vid looks like he was trying to calm it all down and put him in hospital and its our taxes paying for this sort of behavior every night of the week in AE depts up and down the country.
    I hope he goes to jail, he wont of course, he is famous and can afford a top lawyer, unlike a black kid from a sink estate who almost certainly would go to prison.
  • Look at his past record - he's lucky he's made it this far without getting banged up or locked up.

Cockwomble of the first order and quite worrying how people are trying to make excuses for him.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Typical English thug, country is full of 'em
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Talented cricketer. And muppet.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Fight or no fight, what top sportsperson goes out on the lash with a big game coming up? Other than wane Rooney?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,396
    What are you lot talking about!? He's a hero! Bashing homophobes armed with a bottle. Piers Morgan said so.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    'Leave it mate, it's not worth it.' would have been excellent advice in the circumstances.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    He has probably got a chip on his shoulder as he is a cricketer. Better sports to be talented at.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Apparently he was threatened with a bottle at the begining......but at the end when the 2 he's fighting with are backing up and away he should have given it up.

I don't know if it's hales in the black top white trainers, but if it is he's the bigger c*nt of the 2. Obvs soft as sh*te as he gets hit and then runs away leaving stokes to fight the pair of them..........and then comes rushing back like some sort of hero to kick one of them when stokes is wrestling him on the ground.

Still, hardly surprising. Stokes, a proper to$$er on the pitch acting a to$$er off it.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    It looks like, frankly, the victim was partially to blame for his own fate. Yes he had his hands up but he was willing to fight the minute before.

A mate of mine who would never dream of starting fights got into a situation where he ended up bottling a guy who was threatening him. He was up for the Scottish equivalent of GBH but the case was dropped. Sometimes, stuff happens and twenty years ago, nobody would have even known about it but now with cameras..Stokes should know better but this ia not much of an incident.
  • Front page of the The Sun has a video of him being an obnoxious bellend about another matter entirely.

The guy is an arrogant cokkk. .

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nickice
    Front page of the The Sun has a video of him being an obnoxious bellend about another matter entirely.

Most well-known sportsmen are in my experience. Actually, I'm assuming he's well known because I never watch cricket.
    The fame must just go to their head.
  • shortfall
    nickice wrote:
    Front page of the The Sun has a video of him being an obnoxious bellend about another matter entirely.

Most well-known sportsmen are in my experience. Actually, I'm assuming he's well known because I never watch cricket.

Agreed. Elite level sportsmen are groomed from a very young age and spend their lives being cosseted, adored and basically being told how wonderful they are so it's no wonder many of them become arrogant pricks. That said, being an arrogant prick isn't a crime and there are two separate issues here. First is the alleged assault. The facts will emerge but it seems as though he took exception to the way some blokes were treating a gay guy. If we believe what we read in the papers then one of these chaps threatened Stokes with a bottle and he subsequently had his lights punched out. Not the sort of behaviour becoming of an England cricketer but he's young and drink was involved. How many of us can say we haven't gotten into stupid fights or done crazy things when we were young after drinking too much? Not me. Now though there's a camera everywhere to catch it. I wonder if we'd be calling Iain Botham "Sir" if everything he did in the 70s and 80s was caught on tape?

The other issue is the Harvey Price thing. The court of public opinion might not forgive him for this as readily as they are for his brawling. However Frankie Boyle has built a career out of mocking this poor kid so who knows? I know people will tell me that Boyle is actually mocking Katie Price and the celebrity thing of using your kids for publicity but as often as not he just does it for a cheap laugh.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    nickice wrote:

Agreed. Elite level sportsmen are groomed from a very young age and spend their lives being cosseted, adored and basically being told how wonderful they are so it's no wonder many of them become arrogant pricks. That said, being an arrogant prick isn't a crime and there are two separate issues here. First is the alleged assault. The facts will emerge but it seems as though he took exception to the way some blokes were treating a gay guy. If we believe what we read in the papers then one of these chaps threatened Stokes with a bottle and he subsequently had his lights punched out. Not the sort of behaviour becoming of an England cricketer but he's young and drink was involved. How many of us can say we haven't gotten into stupid fights or done crazy things when we were young after drinking too much? Not me. Now though there's a camera everywhere to catch it. I wonder if we'd be calling Iain Botham "Sir" if everything he did in the 70s and 80s was caught on tape?

The other issue is the Harvey Price thing. The court of public opinion might not forgive him for this as readily as they are for his brawling. However Frankie Boyle has built a career out of mocking this poor kid so who knows? I know people will tell me that Boyle is actually mocking Katie Price and the celebrity thing of using your kids for publicity but as often as not he just does it for a cheap laugh.

Hmmm - quite an apologist/excusing post there.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    nickice wrote:

Hmmm - quite an apologist/excusing post there.

Let's hope his agent/pr team can persuade those two gay guys to come forwards. If not people may think he made them up.
  • shortfall
    I'm not apologising for him but if there's something in my post you disagree with please say so. I'm not asking for any special treatment for him because he's a star, he should face the consequences of what he's said and done like anyone. But I don't think it should end his career either. The worrying thing here (for kids growing up especially) is that having a private life is effectively over. If you do something stupid then even if you don't film it then someone else will and it will remain on social media FOREVER!!! I don't know the context in which his Harvey Price comments were made and I'm not seeking to defend them, but I think it's safe to assume he didn't think they'd ever be leaked to the press and it's interesting timing that they came out on the back of the assault thing.
    What do you think should happen to him Matthew?
  • Criminal conviction with the same sentencing as a bod in the street if found guilty of assault - i.e. no leniency because he has got to go and play cricket, maximum level of fine possible - after all, he does earn £2 million plus a year, ECB should take action under ECB rules, known to be a Nasty git by all.

Rooney got away ridiculously lightly with the drink driving so I expect it will happen again here, so not really holding my breath.

No glossing over what he's done next time he gets a couple of wickets - we've all seen it before with the British press and I expect to see it again here.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nickice
    Rooney got away ridiculously lightly with the drink driving so I expect it will happen again here, so not really holding my breath.

He pleaded guilty and got a two-year ban and 100 hours community service. I don't think he got off lightly to be honest.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Criminal conviction with the same sentencing as a bod in the street if found guilty of assault - i.e. no leniency because he has got to go and play cricket, maximum level of fine possible - after all, he does earn £2 million plus a year, ECB should take action under ECB rules, known to be a Nasty git by all.

No glossing over what he's done next time he gets a couple of wickets - we've all seen it before with the British press and I expect to see it again here.

Second half of your sentence is at odds with the first. You appear to be treated like Joe Soap but want the maximum punishment because of his earnings. Can't have both.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    nickice wrote:

He pleaded guilty and got a two-year ban and 100 hours community service. I don't think he got off lightly to be honest.

he was sentenced at the lower end for someone 3x over the DD limit and with a passenger.

given he can afford 3 or 4 drivers for 2 years with a weeks wages, 100 hours going into schools teaching a bit of footie to adoring fans......what exactly is his punishment?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mamba80 wrote:
    nickice wrote:

he was sentenced at the lower end for someone 3x over the DD limit and with a passenger.

given he can afford 3 or 4 drivers for 2 years with a weeks wages, 100 hours going into schools teaching a bit of footie to adoring fans......what exactly is his punishment?

This.

100 hours community and a grand or so fine? Bollox punishment. Hes on 360,000 a week, so maximum fine - I understand that in the Netherlands they fine you on a ratio of your income, so why not?

Another arrogant twaaat - and if anyone thinks the letter of contrition was written by him and not his lawyer - well, say no more.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Criminal conviction with the same sentencing as a bod in the street if found guilty of assault - i.e. no leniency because he has got to go and play cricket, maximum level of fine possible - after all, he does earn £2 million plus a year, ECB should take action under ECB rules, known to be a Nasty git by all.

Second half of your sentence is at odds with the first. You appear to be treated like Joe Soap but want the maximum punishment because of his earnings. Can't have both.

Yes you can. Fine him at the top end of the level - he can afford it and maybe it'll make him think twice next time.

Then again, judging on his history, probably not.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nickice
    mamba80 wrote:
    nickice wrote:

But what exactly was the crime? His first drink-driving offence (in fact his first offence) which was admittedly stupid but I'd bet he was going really slowly and probably not that far. It's still a crime but hardly crime of the century. In fact, it's par for the course here in France and a lot of people do it without even thinking about it. That's not right but people calling for his head in this case are simply being over-zealous. Regarding the community service, it did cross my mind that it'd be more of a punishment to be picking up litter than coaching kids so I'd agree there.
  • nickice
    mamba80 wrote:
    nickice wrote:

This.

100 hours community and a grand or so fine? Bollox punishment. Hes on 360,000 a week, so maximum fine - I understand that in the Netherlands they fine you on a ratio of your income, so why not?

Another arrogant twaaat - and if anyone thinks the letter of contrition was written by him and not his lawyer - well, say no more.

The judge said that he wasn't convinced any financial penalty would be sufficient punishment. Considering where he comes from and how young he was when he became famous, I'd say he's turned out alright. I don't watch football but is he really known as a pri$k?
  • Matthewfalle
    nickice wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    nickice wrote:

This.

The judge said that he wasn't convinced any financial penalty would be sufficient punishment. Considering where he comes from and how young he was when he became famous, I'd say he's turned out alright. I don't watch football but is he really known as a pri$k?

He's worth 140 million. Chuck the financial book at him- it won't hurt him personally buy will piss him off.

Complete and utter - foul mouthed, aggressive, adulterous, shyyyt gambler - the full bag.

And not even really that good to tell the truth.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.