Below the neck / manflu

penski
penski Posts: 124
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Suffering from a combination of manflu and quite a lot of stress due to recent life changes.

My throat really hurts, have slight headaches, some bleeding when brushing. HRV has dropped significantly, and ankles are still hurting after the 10 mile walk I did 2 days ago. But really loathe to miss some riding as I have not done any recently due football and strength training.

So the saying goes, if it's above the neck, it's ok to train. Would you? Should I? An hour on the turbo indoors at 60-90% FTP?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What exactly is 'manflu'..?
  • penski
    Imposter wrote:
    What exactly is 'manflu'..?

In this case, it's a cold that has me acting like it's flu.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd rest up. The more rest you have the quicker the recovery.

I had a cold this week. Snuffling and sneezing all day. Had an early night and took it easy and was fine the next day. Don't battle on. Surrender to the sickbed. Its quicker.
  • I'd do nothing more than a zone2/3 recovery ride, if you can fight the urge/guilt to not train.

Something has been giving me manflu symptoms this week, on and off. Not a full blown lurgy, but enough to make me feel fatigued, the odd sore throat feeling and a dull headache that has been hanging around all day today despite trying two different types of meds. Swollen glands on back of neck today.

All I've ridden is basic direct commutes Mon and Tues; a brisk ~25min hill ride Tues before dinner; a brisk ~55min ride split between flat speed and inclines last night. A whole whopping ~41 miles, when I normally do ~110+ per week.

It's the first type of lurgy I've had all year since I began training, the guilt of such low mileage is weighing me down a bit, but last night I noticed my legs were going after ~45mins when I can normally push myself for ~1.5-2 hours.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I wish people would stop using the term 'manflu'. It's either a cold (yes, they can be nasty), or it's flu (and that IS nasty).

'Manflu' is just a term invented to make out that men whinge too much when they've got a cold. I'm off work today, with a cold. And grumpy. Though at least I've written a load of invoices and emailed them, so that made me feel better.
  • Cycling forums are hilarious.
  • Cycling forums are hilarious.

I'd suggest nuts
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I wish people would stop using the term 'manflu'. It's either a cold (yes, they can be nasty), or it's flu (and that IS nasty).

'Manflu' is just a term invented to make out that men whinge too much when they've got a cold. I'm off work today, with a cold. And grumpy. Though at least I've written a load of invoices and emailed them, so that made me feel better.

Agreed. Especially when women consistently take more days off sick.
  • penski
    'Manflu' is just a term invented to make out that men whinge too much when they've got a cold.

Perfect description of what I'm going through :D:lol:
  • Penski wrote:
    'Manflu' is just a term invented to make out that men whinge too much when they've got a cold.

Perfect description of what I'm going through :D:lol:
    You might have some very rare and very serious tropical disease, and actually you're being very brave, considering how ill you are.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You have the ebolaids!