Health screening,BMI, arthritis in thumb, getting old.....

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
Just had a health screening with the nurse at local GP, got a low risk of dying of cardio vascular disease but BMI of 28 that the nurse said to forget about it... I come out as overweight , any other fat knackers out there humiliated by BMI?

I was told by the GP that recent X-ray results showed degeneration in my left thumb, palm joint. It's been very painful recently, anyone else riding with arthritis in hands? I've been told to try topical stuff like voltarol and if that didn't help go back to discuss cortisone injection. it's really painful post ride mostly, how does anyone else cope with this type of thing?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    BMI ... you know if you're carrying a bit too much or not. I know I'm on the upper scale of "healthy" and could do with dropping a bit (just for hill climbing ability really). But looking at the lower end of the scale (20kg less than I am) - I'd look like skin and bone at that weight ...
    So long as you're comfortable in your own skin I'd take BMI with a pinch of salt.

Arthritis - have you tried a copper bracelet? Or one with magnets ... I had RSI a good few years ago - popped a copper bracelet on and boom - pain was gone ... ok - not completely - but mostly. Don't ask me the science as I don't know it - if there is any - but it works for some.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    BMI doesn't work for athletic bodies. If you have muscly legs - you'll technically be obese. That's my story anyway.

How old are you ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    BMI is a crude and often misleading index because it just uses height and weight, so the nurse is right.

Height : waist measurement is a better cheap indicator of obesity in males. But you can still look OK but have too much visceral fat around your internal organs. Trouble is, more meaningful measurements of body fat composition and distribution are harder to do and hence dearer.

Both my thumbs are knackered after years of 5-a-side goalkeeping; neither joint is the shape it should be, but fortunately at 60 I still have no sign of arthritis in them.

Is your post ride pain a new thing? Are you putting too much weight on your hands? Doing longer rides? made any changes to the bike setup?
  • Quins
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the replies. @slowbike, I'm deffo going to try a braceket (copper/magmets) my mum swears by her magnets for a similar condition. Been told by GP to try topical analgesics (voltarol 12 hour , the "eze" one didn't do a thing) and if that didn't work to come back to see the head GP (who just happens to be an ex racer and this years Tour of Britain doctor) to discuss it further and possible cortisone shot. I'm sure I could also lose some hill climbing weight, I'm about 4-6lbs off my target weight of 12'10, wouldn't make a lit of fufferentbemaidifferent in the BMI , still be overweight.

@oxoman , agreed, I'm a lifelong "athlete" , rugby, swimming, artist arts, squash, marathons and halves , just getting into some bigger mileage and looking to get back to my group level in my club.

@fenix, muscly legs? There's a thing, during last weeks coffee stop one of the group said " why are your legs twice the size of mine? They're intimidating!" I used them well on the run home..I even beat the 60 year olds, lol, no mean feat ( I'm 55I'm getting my fitness back , will move up a group soon, hope to be back at my old group within a couple of months.

@keefe66, I initially thought it was a result of an off I had commuting back in February, diesel on a rural road, right turn across traffic, very slow. Front wheel went away, straight down , left hand folded under me , glove has 2 marks over the back of wrist from contact with hood or stem. Pain has been getting worse (left hand), recent X-ray shows degeneration. I have tried a couple if things re set up over the months but still revert back to my comfiest position for me, and as near as possible on all 3 of my bikesk. I get the pain from 2x13 mile commute, 30-60 milers, carrying a bag in left hand, driving long distances ( recently took youngest to Cardiff uni from Kent), poo picking horse shoit in paddock etc. It's not just the cycling that's painful anymore. Hoping the voltarol, bracelet or cortisone works, it's a right b@stard when the pain comes on The nurse also mentioned height to waist would be a better measurement , hence she was quite happy to ignore the BMI on this occasion d
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    What waist size are you?
  • Quins
    Just measured , 34.5" above the hip bone, did the waist height height calculator, "Your height waist ratio is .51 , below the .6 limit" I
  • Garry H
    You're ok then.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Copper bracelets and magnets are quack 'cures' alongside other similar snake oil remedies :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • slowbike
    Svetty wrote:
    Copper bracelets and magnets are quack 'cures' alongside other similar snake oil remedies :)

yup - have you tried one? When the pain (in my case) of RSI becomes too much and repeated pain killers isn't a sensible option (it isn't) then quite frankly - anything that works is worth trying. I got a cheap copper bracelet (£5 from boots now) http://www.boots.com/magnohealth-magnet ... t-10002112 - and it worked.

Why? Dunno ...
    Do I care? Only that it works and for £5 it's worth a go
  • keef66
    I'm sceptical about magnets but I'd probably try a copper bracelet. I've met an awful lot of people who think they help, so even if it's a placebo effect I'll benefit!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Maybe the same principle as zinc heavy foods effecting mood
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Our farrier swears by his copper bracelet for reducing joint pain. Worth a try since they're pretty cheap?
  • Garry H
    Try some magic crystals as well!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Maybe try wearing a low compression wristband or non-metal bracelet to see if it's the extra warmth around the joint that seems to be helping? Too many positive reports on copper bracelet to be just a placebo.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mamil314 wrote:
    Maybe try wearing a low compression wristband or non-metal bracelet to see if it's the extra warmth around the joint that seems to be helping? Too many positive reports on copper bracelet to be just a placebo.
    You claim the same about Homeopathy or fairytales.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    BMI is simplistic boxxox. My GP practice nurse now doesn't even try to convince me otherwise as she completes her mandatory, tick box procedure. Entire international rugby back rows, Steven Redgrave, Sol Campbell, all obese apparently. Ah but, they are different. Ok, so you agree one size does not fit all.

My BMI 29.5, top end of overweight; waist to height .50, generally healthy. Now, which value should I take as 'real', I wonder?

Anyway, who cares? I can put the km in and still get up those hills.
  • svetty
    mamil314 wrote:
    Too many positive reports on copper bracelet to be just a placebo.

You clearly don't understand the Placebo effect very well: the whole point of a placebo is that it does work - just not usually through the mechanism ascribed to it. MInd-body duality has a lot to answer for.....
  • mamil314
    Svetty wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

You clearly don't understand the Placebo effect very well: the whole point of a placebo is that it does work - just not usually through the mechanism ascribed to it. MInd-body duality has a lot to answer for.....

Just trying to figure out the 'mechanism'. I do not seem much harm or quackiness in keeping affected joint warm. It could be useful to you, too, in case you fall off that high horse.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Just trying to figure out the 'mechanism'. I do not seem much harm or quackiness in keeping affected joint warm. It could be useful to you, too, in case you fall off that high horse.

Why not combine it with homeopathy too? You could get away with a microscopic copper bracelet then! See, I've saved you money :)
  • webboo
    mamil314 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Why not combine it with homeopathy too? You could get away with a microscopic copper bracelet then! See, I've saved you money :)
    Or he could wear a friends copper bracelet for a few seconds and then his wrist would remember it. So no need to buy one.
  • Webboo wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Or he could wear a friends copper bracelet for a few seconds and then his wrist would remember it. So no need to buy one.

In a swimming pool of course. Water has memory.
  • slowbike
    Webboo wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Feel free to take the piss - I hope you never have need to consider one.
    I've seen it have a positive effect for family members, colleagues, friends as well as myself. Unlike Snake Oil, bracelets don't cost a lot - I think my first copper only one was < £2
  • Mate, I've had cancer so believe me I've been offered the full range of useless quack cures. To quote a well used phrase, the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

You may think it's harmless to try but overzealous credulousness results in the anti-vaccination movement, Dr Oz and even worse, Gwyneth Paltrow. Yes, it gets that bad. Spend a couple of quid on a nice flapjack for a long Sunday ride. I guarantee it will have a more positive effect on your health.
  • slowbike
    Mate, I've had cancer so believe me I've been offered the full range of useless quack cures. To quote a well used phrase, the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

You may think it's harmless to try but overzealous credulousness results in the anti-vaccination movement, Dr Oz and even worse, Gwyneth Paltrow. Yes, it gets that bad. Spend a couple of quid on a nice flapjack for a long Sunday ride. I guarantee it will have a more positive effect on your health.

Oh ... the "I've had cancer so I know better" ...

yer right ... if you've got arthritis or had RSI and tried it and found it didn't work for you then say so - otherwise your opinion is worth the same as mine on cancer treatments.
    I never offered it up as "the answer" - I was careful to state that I didn't know any science involved in it & therefore it's not a proven answer.
    And using a copper/magnetic bracelet is absolutely NOTHING like anti-vaccination movement - you can't catch arthritis from a sufferer ...

But - like you said - it's the cost of a flapjack ... if it's useless then that's all it's cost - a flapjack - most of us could afford that to trial - or the OP could ask to borrow his mums ...
  • mamil314
    Astonishing closed mindedness and lack of contructivism. I don't care for homeopathy or water memory or whatever gibberish some seem to be spouting, not sure why these have been brought in. I know my legs feel fresher after running in compression kit, although this is also not 'official medicine'. If compression helps reduce inflammation, why not try with arthritis, which is also inflammation. If that turned out to be the case, it would have a direct effect on symptoms and thus not just be a placebo. I am not a medic and am happy to be proven wrong as long as it's not 'talk to the hand' or 'lalala' guys like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFh7CwDCQeI

Sorry to the OP it turned out like this.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Mate, I've had cancer so believe me I've been offered the full range of useless quack cures. To quote a well used phrase, the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

Oh ... the "I've had cancer so I know better" ...

yer right ... if you've got arthritis or had RSI and tried it and found it didn't work for you then say so - otherwise your opinion is worth the same as mine on cancer treatments.
    I never offered it up as "the answer" - I was careful to state that I didn't know any science involved in it & therefore it's not a proven answer.
    And using a copper/magnetic bracelet is absolutely NOTHING like anti-vaccination movement - you can't catch arthritis from a sufferer ...

But - like you said - it's the cost of a flapjack ... if it's useless then that's all it's cost - a flapjack - most of us could afford that to trial - or the OP could ask to borrow his mums ...

Also have arthritis in both knees.

But you’re choosing to deliberately miss the point I was making so all the best with the quackery.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Quins wrote:
    Just had a health screening with the nurse at local GP, got a low risk of dying of cardio vascular disease but BMI of 28 that the nurse said to forget about it... I come out as overweight , any other fat knackers out there humiliated by BMI?

I was told by the GP that recent X-ray results showed degeneration in my left thumb, palm joint. It's been very painful recently, anyone else riding with arthritis in hands? I've been told to try topical stuff like voltarol and if that didn't help go back to discuss cortisone injection. it's really painful post ride mostly, how does anyone else cope with this type of thing?

Ignore BMI, it is not what informed dieticians go by. Instead, the relation between your waist and height are what matters. If your waist measurement doubled, is more then your height, you're overweight.

https://www.health-calc.com/body-compos ... ight-ratio

I've got vascular problems with a left subclavian occlusion (completely blocked discovered when I had an anaphylaxis incident after taking Volterol) and some stenosis to the right artery. I've a bovine aorta meaning that where most people have the three arteries coming off of the aorta, one to the left arm, one to the right arm and one to the circle of Willis and the brain, I've only got two. Somehow, my body has worked out a way of diverting some blood flow from the circle of willis down to the left arm negating the need for any bypass at this stage. Despite this, it is still only a limited flow and results in the left hand going numb within about two hours of riding, to the point where I am unable to change gear on the front.

My vascular consultant is a cyclist and his advice, is continue to ride and ride hard. The fast blood flow will help prevent clotting and breakaways of any clot that may cause a stroke. I'm on clopidigril blood anti coagulant following a stroke in 2014 and was put on statins when they discovered the subclavian occlusion. My cholesterol has dropped to 1.9 now, which will help with reducing the stenosis of the right artery. It won't do anything for the left blockage, as that is more likely a tear from an accident, that formed a pocket inside the artery preventing blood from going anywhere and eventually clotting.

So, in short, don't worry. Keep your medical appointments up to date and follow any advice from your consultant.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    mamil314 wrote:
    Astonishing closed mindedness and lack of contructivism. I don't care for homeopathy or water memory or whatever gibberish some seem to be spouting, not sure why these have been brought in. I know my legs feel fresher after running in compression kit, although this is also not 'official medicine'. If compression helps reduce inflammation, why not try with arthritis, which is also inflammation. If that turned out to be the case, it would have a direct effect on symptoms and thus not just be a placebo. I am not a medic and am happy to be proven wrong as long as it's not 'talk to the hand' or 'lalala' guys like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFh7CwDCQeI

Sorry to the OP it turned out like this.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.........quackery I'm afraid. Sorry to be blunt but sometimes the plain truth isn't what you want to hear but remains the truth.
  • keef66
    I'm still going to flatten some 15mm copper pipe and make myself a bracelet. I was going to be doing it anyway to make a tool for pointing some brickwork, so I'll just diversify into medical jewellery at the same time. If my left knee suddenly starts to feel better you lot will be the first to know. And if it just sends my wrist green I'll tell you that as well.

I did like the plural of anecdote isn't evidence :D
  • webboo
    You could try rubbing WD 40 on it as well, as that was doing the rounds on various building sites as a cure for joint pain. :roll: