Are easy to mount clincher tyres unsafe?

Alex99
Alex99 Posts: 1,407
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,
I have a various wheels and tyre combos. In some combinations, the tyre will pretty much fall off the rims when they're not inflated whereas some require serious work to get on or off the rim. I'm a little concerned about a tyre leaving the rim in the case of sudden deflation. I had a bad pinch flat a few months ago on a wet descent. The tyre stayed on and I slowly brought it to a halt, but it spooks me a bit to think what would have happened if I was on a different wheel.

Do people think this is an issue? What can be done? Can, and should fit be adjusted e.g. with extra rim tape?

Cheers

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not lost a tyre yet. Check your pressure and a sudden deflation will be rare.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Alex99 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have a various wheels and tyre combos. In some combinations, the tyre will pretty much fall off the rims when they're not inflated whereas some require serious work to get on or off the rim. I'm a little concerned about a tyre leaving the rim in the case of sudden deflation. I had a bad pinch flat a few months ago on a wet descent. The tyre stayed on and I slowly brought it to a halt, but it spooks me a bit to think what would have happened if I was on a different wheel.

Do people think this is an issue? What can be done? Can, and should fit be adjusted e.g. with extra rim tape?

Cheers

Tubeless or tubs is the easiest way to minimise this risk.

Best not to think too much about what could happen on a bike - otherwise you can scare yourself silly. Just accept that shit can happen - but is very unlikely :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D