parking?

armandbig33
armandbig33 Posts: 20
edited September 2017 in MTB general
Hi
I use my bike for mountain biking as I should ..but it's my only bike so i also use it to go to the local store about 1.4 km away.
U probably know those cheap bike racks stores and otger things have.....
The problem is my tyres won't fit in there no matter how much brute force I use.
the first time I got lucky one of my friends was there to hold it for me while I was in the store. but once I tried to pit it on some kind of iron fence and lock it ip but it wouldn't stand , the wind could have easily blown it away now i'm wondering what i should do to park my bike.

thanks in advance

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How old are you ?

Leaning a bike up is pretty easy. If you're doing this round town you probably won't get much practice as someone will nick it. Get a lock and use it. It'll stop it falling over too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He says he did try locking it (I think) so if it could still blow away must be a pretty rubbish lock.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • awright.
    well first i am 14
    so u suggest i should just lock the front wheel to the frame and leave it leaned to a wall?
    and i actually spent 30 euros on the lock, not the best but not the worst.
    k where i'd park it i don t think someone would steal it that quickly but in other areas?

it could blow away cuz i dont have a kickstand and i tied frame only to some weird fence on the side of the store.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's good that you have a lock anyway.
    Just practice leaning the bike against things. (always keep your derailleurs outside - you never rest the bike on them)

I'm always leaning my bikes up against shops cafes benches walls trees bushes fences. Never had a bike blow away or even fall over.

Make sure it's leaning rather than. Vertical.
  • cooldad
    I think you are going to fail English.

It's impossible to say how weird your world is, but if the fence is blowing away, you are probably riding in a hurricane.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I usually find a lamp post is useful, lean on it, lock round it, good to go.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lock don't lean. In the long run you'll be glad you did.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Do you have a chain/cable lock or a D lock?

We have crappy wheelbender bike racks at work. I can't fit my MTB tyres in them, so I lock my bike (not just my MTB) to the side with a D lock which holds it tight in place. It's not great but it's OK unless some pr*ck decides to try and move my bike so they can squeeze theirs in.

If your frame is against the rack, and wheels/discs aren't going to hit it if the bike moves a little bit you will be OK.
  • srsly I don't care if I fail english since I'm german.
    I did NOT mean the bike just takes off with the wind but doesn't the paint get ruined if i just lean it on a tree or some wall?
    It blows away cuz i only lean it on the handlebars and back wheel.
  • cooldad
    Das ist ok, du wirst wahrscheinlich auch deutsch scheitern.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Your English is far better than my German!
    I assume you are worrying that the wind will blow and cause your bike to fall over rather than the entire bike getting blown through the air. Have a look at where others are leaving their bikes.
    And keep up using your bike for mountain biking, it makes you so much more interesting than kids who spend all their spare time on PlayStations and Xboxes.